Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mold & Sick Buildings

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Mold & Sick Buildings « Previous Next »

Author Message
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition to my MSG and related sickness, I also have a very similar reaction in certain buildings and to mold. I suspect the problem in these buildings is mold, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else experienced this?

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes! As if MSG and other additives aren't enough. See the 8/15/01 NY Times magazine article on mold at:
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a horror story!! I caught a similar story on TV a month or so ago.

Actually, my reaction is not so much in my home. We have several stores mostly located in strip shopping centers. This is where I have the problem. My reaction is almost identical to my MSG problem. At first I thought it might be related to insect control, but after an exposure to mold (which was in my home) and some research into the sick building syndrome, I made the mold link.

I do wonder what the connection between MSG (and related ingredients) and mold is. I assume the connection is related to the immune system fighting the toxin.
Judy T
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 10:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When our system is compromised, it's compromised and susceptible to many environmental conditions. The Reno Gazette Journal had a big article on January 14, 2001 on "Mold reports double since 1988". Coincidentally, we had just found mold in our basement from an incorrectly installed washing machine. We spent February tearing out half-walls and using bleach to get rid of spores and then remodeling. On July 23 we had a city sewer backup in our basement. Yep, we knew about mold and got everything out and bleached and dried. Some websites are (That's the New York City Dept of Health, etc) and (Managing Water Infiltration into Buildings from the Univeresity of Minnesota).
Carol H
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 2:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to design buildings for a park in NY state and learned a bit about mold problems. Aside from acting quickly to prevent leaks and removing carpeting and building materials that have been damaged by water, there's a lot you can do. If you have a say in how your next house is designed, look for lots of natural light, especially in places like bathrooms. I open the windows in my bathroom after taking a shower. Mold does not like sunlight. Buying a dehumidifier is a very good idea. Keep the humidity down to below 50% and mold won't grow. There are also paints you can buy, and stuff to add to them that will prevent mold growth. And there is a mold preventative spray available from National Allergy Supply. It works for at least 6 months. The allergy supply place also sells humidity sensors. If your windows fog up, then your humidity level is too high. In the winter, this can be solved by bringing in cold air occasionally by opening a window. The cold air which carries very little moisture, when brought into the house, and warmed up, can carry even more moisture, and makes the air inside drier. Warm moist air cooled down causes damp, while cold air warmed up becomes drier. In summer, use an air conditioner. What happens is that the warm moist air from outside when cooled, condenses the water inside the air conditoner. (That's why AC units leak water to the outside.) The nice cool air coming into your house, can't hold as much moisture as the warm sticky air outside. So: summer, close the windows and use the AC. Winter, open the windows once in a while and bring the cold dry air in. Watch the humidity, and check for condensation on the windows and walls. Dry air also kills dust mites too.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 4:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, thanks for the tips. I live in the southeast where the humidity hovers around 90% to 95% from about May through September. I also have what I call a "leaky" house. Poorly built and poorly insulated. I actually run three dehumidifiers. Two in the basement and one on the second level. We run the a/c almost constantly from May through September and try to keep the temp at about 72 to 75. Sometimes we don't make it when outside temp approaches 100. In any event, we do have moisture on the windows in some rooms where the a/c vent is close to the window.

I actually don't believe I have a mold problem in the house. My problem occurs when I visit our stores. There are four of them and they are all located in strip shopping centers. I have not seen evidence of mold there, but have concluded that it is probably a mold type problem.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with your concerns about mold allergies. I knew I was allergic to MSG, corn, eggs, etc. My biggest surprise as I was tested and cleared for allergies by NAET was that I was so allergic to mold and mildew. I didn't have a clue it was such a problem before then.

At that NAET session, as she treated me for mold, I could feel the "brain fog" lift. I saw a tremendous difference in my energy level after that.

I think this is significant for everyone for 2 reasons:
1. Chances are we're all allergic to multiple things.
2. The variable drain on our systems from multiple allergies (and not all of them having the same symptoms) causes varied allergic reactions. It's why we do better on some days than others.

I could see this as I started to clear my allergies through NAET. Even when I was cleared for MSG, there were still others. I just had a reaction to eggplant (nightshade family) this weekend - so its on my to-do list. And now that my body reacts to fewer things, I find that I no longer react for days like I used to.
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 1:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)


I'm new here. What is NAET?

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 7:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a thread with info on this website at:
It is an allergy elimination technique I'm using that's wonderful. My advice is to look into it, reading one of the books and reviewing the NAET website shown in that link. At least then you can make an educated decision as to whether you want to try it.

Because it's not covered by your health insurance (unless acupuncture is covered) you will have to commit to spending between $1000-2000. Its not advisable to stop in the middle, because I've found as you relieve the major allergies, and you enjoy your improved health, other allergies that were in the background reveal themselves.

For example, in the previous post, I thought I had a reaction to an eggplant I'd eaten. When I went to my practitioner, she found my reaction was to freon and air conditioning. This made sense because we had just turned the AC on that week.

My husband who is a chemist agreed that being "allergic" to AC is possible, since the treated air has a different chemical composition once the water molecules are removed. If I was sensitive to the new air composition, I could have a reaction. Before, my body could detect the smallest amount of artifically derived citric acid and react for days. I have no doubt it could also react to some chemical change to the nitrogen or sulfur compounds suspended in the air.

If you can't commit to the cost of NAET, you can still use the muscle testing technique that I explained there as well, to see if you're allergic to something before you eat it. Its based on the proven fact that your muscles become slightly weaker in the presence of an allergin.
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 8:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an update to my recent post regarding mold and sick buildings, I just began taking CoQ10 and Taurine which seem to be wonder drugs for me (as far as reactions go). Well, I had an opportunity to visit one of our "sick buildings" yesterday and the reaction was much less severe than before I began the supplements.

I thought I would pass this along for those of you who share this problem.
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 5:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IC - What brand of CoQ10 and Taurine are you taking? How long have you been taking it? Thanks.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I'm taking GNC. I just started last week, and I did not take much time to shop around. Now that I know it works, I may switch brands or I may give Migraplex a try (see link).
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still leery of gelcaps (gelatin)and some binders and fillers used in a lot of preparations. I'll try one for awhile and after 20 to 30 days will begin to react. It must just build up in my system.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page