Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Salad Fresheners

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Salad Fresheners « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 6:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WATCH OUT FOR PLAIN SALAD AT RESTAURANTS!!! When will I ever learn not to trust restaurants? I planned a lovely evening tonight with friends at The Store in Basking Ridge, NJ. I made certain to bring my own snack foods to add to my plate and arrived early to speak with the waitress. I told her I was severely allergic to additives and told her I would be ordering a plain salad if I had her assurance that the salad was only washed with water and no additives were used on it. She affirmed this.

When our dinner was served, I had the plain salad with bread and other munchies that I brought from home. I enjoyed it immensely feeling that I was safe and happy having a night out with good friends without having to cook!

By the time the meal had ended and it was almost time to leave one hour later, I noticed I was becoming more and more depressed for no reason. I used the ladies room and felt very ill --- my stomach was rapidly swelling. I was afraid I would not make it home and would pass out. Brushing it off as my imagination, I started to drive home but stopped right away and put on my cell phone on and pulled out my list of emergency numbers in case I became seriously ill. Fortunately, I made it home and noticed my depression increasing again with terrible sad thoughts --- so much unlike me. My stomach would start to reswell every 10 minutes until extremely loud gurgling started on my left side and I passed the offending food. This reaction was identical to that which I have from processed foods with MSG and other additives.

I knew this reaction was not in my mind so I called The Store and spoke with the manager, Barbara. I told her that I was very ill and wanted to know how they treat the salad greens. Fortunately, she told me right away that the salad greens are washed in water and then a product called FIT was added to it. (Thank God --- there are honest people around.)

When am I going to learn? I can NEVER trust a waitress again and I will NEVER eat at a restaurant unless I have the cook and the owner swear to what is in the food. Now, I will be feeling punk for another 24 hours and it will take around 3 days to get my digestion back to normal. Sorry to be so long but I am FURIOUS!!! Thanks for listening. M.E. P.S. Does anyone know what FIT is? If not, I’ll investigate and report back
clarissa
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 7:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi memorrisnj ihave had the exact same reaction as you had at that restaraunt i to also was in denial about the depression sad thoughts also .and my stomache also bloats too .it happened at several family parties . it feels good to hear theese stories and know im not imagining theese things .when iget theese reactions they happcaen so quickly also .that stuff that they used called FIT is an over the counter cleaner used to take off the chemicals onfruits and veggies.like sulfites .i cant understand why anyone would buy a product that is achemical to take off another chemical . doesnt that just defeat the purpose in the first place .? clarissa
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently FIT isn't fit to eat. The web site below has a description of FIT:

http://www.restaurant.org/cfpissues/III_11.htm
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 9:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I found more details at: http://www.tryfit.com. It claims to “All of your senses will tell you that washing with Fit gets fruits and vegetables naked and restores their natural purity better than rinsing with water.”

FIT also states that it “removes dirt and more water-resistant wax than water alone—using only ingredients from natural sources, like baking soda and citric acid”. Other ingredients include: Purified Water, Oleic acid and Glycerol, Ethyl alcohol, Potassium hydrate, and Distilled grapefruit oil.

But as stated by Jack Samuels at http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html, “NATURAL DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN SAFE”.

Sounds like time to test out the complaint process at the FDA. The FDA accepts complaints as explained at:
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/problem.html#report

Thanks Clarissa and Roy!
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 10:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh! Potassium hydrate...another chemical to poison us. Once again they poison us under the premise that they are making our foods safer. I get sooooo mad!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 3:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris & Gerry,

This business that nature intended that food be treated with FIT is enough to make you throw a fit. As for potassium hydrate (a synonym for potassium hydroxide), see the link below. Eating is getting to be like navigating a mine field.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/p5887.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I actually use one or two drops of Dawn in a bowl of water to quickly swish my greens and veggies in. A good rinse and no problems so far. I heard about this on TV. I also use baking soda to wash produce. I bet Fit is not cheap, either....another gimmick to make money at our
expense.
So sorry you got "poisoned", ME Morris! Pamper yourself and drink lots of water. I find that half a Benehist (generic Benedryl) helps me through such episodes. I also take some Tri-Salts from Beyond-A-Century to replace lost minerals.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potassium Hydroxide is:

Caustic Potash................
POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES SEVERE BURNS TO SKIN, EYES, RESPIRATORY TRACT, AND GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. MATERIAL IS EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE TO ALL BODY TISSUES. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED.

And this is what they call FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry's right. Sounds like they're trying to clean our pipes at the same time they are cleaning our produce. A similar base - sodium hydroxide, is more easily recognizable by the name lye, the kind you find it in drain cleaner.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 4:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a letter from James Finnegan, the Managing Partner of The Store Restaurant in Basking Ridge, NJ. He stated: "We always try to make changes that will benefit our guests and our use of FIT was done to enhance our lettuce and assure bacteria is washed off entirely. We failed in our training and information sharing by not having all our service staff aware of the fact that we use FIT to clean our lettuce."

He also states: "I have talked with the makers of FIT and are investigating if we should discontinue the use of this product".

With all my bad restaurant experiences with MSG and other food additives, I found this response somewhat hopeful. (But too I do not feel safe enough with any restaurant now to take advantage of the free dinner for 4 that The Store included in their response.) Next week, I'll be sending Mr. Finnegan a copy of all of your postings above in hopes that he will stop the use of FIT.

Before I do so, are there other ideas out there for safe washing of produce to eliminate bacteria? (I wash my vegies and fruits in plain water several times and then soak them in vinegar for 5 minutes or so and wash them out again.)

Thank you all for your comments and help.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More news! I called Proctor & Gamble, the producers of FIT this morning and spoke with a customer service representative about my reacting to lettuce cleaned with FIT (see 7/30/01 entry above). I was told by the P&G representative that FIT is no longer being released!

The representative said it was a business decision because the product was not stimulating enough sales. (If it was for a more serious reason, I don’t imagine they would admit to it, do you?) I still plan to write to P&G in case there are plans of releasing a similar product.
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good results...wonderful concerning "Fit".
amh
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 2:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Two years ago I had an experience eating fresh spinach. In an effort to avoid MSG as much as possible I was eating only fresh produce. I had spinach just tied with a brown string. One bite and my mouth was burning. I made the mistake of tossing the spinach in the trash. Fifteen minutes later (after only one bite) I was throwing up (projectile vomiting)-running to the toilet with violent cramps. Heart racing and my face was beet red. I should have go to an emergency room. Even with all that I went back to eating fresh green vegetables. But now I am starting to buy organic. Maybe an MSG sensitive person just must pay the added price for organic. It is either to spend the money at the market or at the doctor. The choice is ours.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 3:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the latest on allowing organic produce to be sprayed with MSG? Has anyone heard any updates?
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Write by 8/20/01 against the Auxi Gro issue. For direct access to the Federal Register on this topic go to:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=01-15615-filed

I'm reposting this, Gerry.
By Gerry Bush on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

Please read the following and try to help them!!

"We have a chance to block (in California) use of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in a pesticide, fungicide, fertilizer spray called AuxiGro. Our success in California will depend, in part, on mounting a strong objection to a June 21, 2001 Final Rule passed by the EPA. I am writing to ask you to help us by encouraging friends, relatives, colleagues, and people with allergies to write to the EPA. And, most important, for you, yourself, to write about our efforts. A copy of one form of our message follows. You will find detail at

http://www.msgfacts.net

Please let me know that you have seen my message.

Warmest regards,

Adrienne Samuels
adieonly@aol.com

PLEASE ACT, POST, AND/OR CIRCULATE"

By GerryBush on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

Thats

http://www.msgfacts.net
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I urge everyone to take a few minutes and write to the EPA regarding the spraying of MSG on produce. I believe this includes organic produce. There will be no way to tell what's safe to eat. The Samuels are very dedicated to this cause and this is our chance to help.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't find a mailing adress for my complaint.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To send objections re Auxi-Gro, get addresses as follows:
1. Go to this site: http://www.msgfacts.net
2. Click on Here How to Send Your Objection
3. See addresses in the each of the 3 columns.
You may need to scroll down.)

Again, letters must be sent by 8/20/01. Read above entries for more information.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page