Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Please help my son

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Please help my son « Previous Next »

Holly
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son cannot handle MSG and food colorings. They make him rage. What kid friendly foods can I give him. For the most part I make everything for him at home, but he wants fast food sometimes.

Any ideas for lunches for school?

Thanks
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holly--My son is 6. For lunches, he eats lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Applesauce. Organic fruits. Carrots. He does OK with organic tortilla chips (not too many at a time). He can also tolerate Lay's potato chips. Organic water crackers and cheddar cheese. Sometimes leftovers from a previous meal. Chicken fingers (from Deb A.'s cookbook).

As for fast food, there really isn't any that's safe. Occasionally we break down and take him to McDonalds or Burger King, but he/we pay the price in the behavior changes that ensue. It's hard because he wants to be like everyone else.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Organic peanut butter is the best to give children. Most of the others contain sulfites and sources of glutamate. My daughter also makes LOTS of peanut butter and home made jam sandwiches for lunches, Evelyn. She also makes sandwiches with meat loaf, roasted safe chicken, and safe tuna (no broth or calcium caseinate added. Whole Foods has a great crunchy peanut butter. There is a great recipe for cooked mayonnaise in the newest book by Julia Childs and Pepin. I make it all the time. Sometimes I will just whirl 3 cooked egg yolks (I have boiled eggs on hand most of the the time) with the juice of a lemon in the processor with a T. of flour. Then I add 1/2 t. of dry mustard, 1 t. of sugar, 1/2 t. or more of salt. If I have some cooked potatoes on hand, I will add 1/3 of an average sized one, too. Add some pepper and dash of cayenne (opt.) and then slowly add 2/3 cup of mild olive oil or saffola oil or more to taste. You can adjust the seasonings and make it sweeter and spicier. Another easy sandwich filling is in my book. Just chop up some hard boiled eggs and add a little fresh lemon juice and some saffola oil to moisten. Season to taste. If too dry, add a little water. The egg yolk acts as the emulsifier. Orange slices and apple slices are always good in lunches, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page