Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Brand Names of Food Products Not Safe

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Brand Names of Food Products Not Safe « Previous Next »

M-Y
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 5:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need information concerning "Braggs Liquid Amino's". Are they ok or not for Free Glutamate sensitivies?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 6:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd avoid their liquid aminos:

http://www.bragg.com/factsheetset.html

"Made from health-giving soybeans and purified water.

Bragg Liquid Aminos are a liquid protein, derived from soybeans, that contains the following Essential and Nonessential Amino Acids in naturally occurring amounts:

Aspartic Acid
Glutamic Acid ..."
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 7:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any campbell soups not listed as healthy request...the juice del monte packs their fresh vegetables in...nacho flavored doritos...crunchy cheetos...one of the eleven herbs and spices in the kernals regular recipe...cryspie chicken is safe...avoid buffet food lines that serve vegetables because some cooks will use the juice in the can to cook them instead of washing them...no rice-a-roni safe and oh how i used to love it...in buffet lines, avoid any yellow sauces, usually chicken, because they are usually made with soups or broths that contain msg...stay away from anything made with broth, chicken or beef...dont use those bags to cook meat in that come with the spices already in them, only one kind is actually safe and i cant remember which...all stove-top stuffing has it except for turkey, but dont eat to much of it...i have found that the size of the headache is directly relative to the amount of msg you injest...am fairly certain jack daniels has it in it...
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boar's Head cold cuts - nearly all have MSG added. Most flavored snack chips. Most Lipton products. Cheese flavored items. Most fresh sausages. Fermented items. Seasoning salts. Some Goya products like Adobo seasoning. Don't worry, I'll think of lots more.....
Carol H
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Planters Nuts, all of them, Fischers nuts - all of them too. I had to go to three stores just to find peanuts for baking that didn't have added MSG right on the label.
Jeremy
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 5:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's not condemn a whole company without checking thoroughly. Planters does have unsalted peanuts, and the label states "ingredients : peanuts." Also their cans of Lightly Salted Mixed Nuts contain only the nuts, peanut and/or cottonseed oil, and salt.
When we do find safe products from major producers we should be purchasing them and letting the industry know that this is what we want.
I have also noticed recently that Nabisco (incidentally, Planters parent co.) has included on some cracker ingredient lists the statement "contains glutamate". We must continue to read these labels, and we should let the manufacturers know that we need this information.
Melissa
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 12:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

almost every flavored chip out there has it but have found one called Kettle Chips that we can eat without any problems - all of the different flavors seem to be safe, and not to mention delicious. Also, heavy whipping cream has it - it must be in the carageenan they add to it - so now I can't even eat many ice creams, especially Bryer's which is supposed to be all natural, but I have an msg attack everytime I eat it. I am quite sure it's in the cream. I found a brand of Cream that has no additives but forgot the name - will find it and send another message later
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, I stand corrected. Excellent points. We should ask for what we want.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 11:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa, I had the same problem as you with the heavy cream and also a "half & half" that was only milk and cream.
After a closer look, I noticed that the carton said "Ultra-Pasteurized". This is a high heat process that frees glutamates and gives us great problems.
So look for the ones that are NOT ultra-pasteurized.
Connie
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy,

Caution regarding Planter's Nuts:
I found I continued to have an MSG reaction to their cashews and Deluxe Mixed Nuts, and there is nothing on the label to indicate this. As an experiment, I tried rinsing them off and warmed them in my toaster oven on a metal tray to dry. After a few minutes, when I checked them, was surprised to find a sticky residue on the tray.

I understand some manufacturers use carageenan to help the salt stick. When I called Planter's they were adamant that there wasn't anything in their product that wasn't listed, but couldn't explain the residue I found.

Now I just buy these unsalted and in bulk at a local supermarket. Good luck!
Connie
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa-I checked out those flavored "Kettle Chips" in the supermarket today. They all have citric acid at least and also some other hidden sources of msg. The only "Kettle Chips" that are safe are the plain ones!
Citric acid is made by hydrolyzing corn protein thereby releasing processed free glutamic acid or, in other words "msg".
Ruth
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 10:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure have missed potato chips. I'm going to look for plain "Kettle Chips" brand. I used to see them, but it's been a long time since I've been down the chips isle.
I have a complaint about my local grocery stores,
Safeway and Kroger, very big stores here in Houston. Neither one of them sells a single brand of butter that is safe to eat. The Safeway store just bought out a local chain who used to stock safe butter. It seems like the bigger the store, the less choice you have. I finally found Borden's brand, with just cream and salt, at a little local mom and pop grocery. All of the brands now say "natural flavorings," which I read as not natural. Why do they need to mess with natural butter? Is the milk that inferior in flavor? I thought those brands were just fine before they added the "natural flavorings." And I also don't see why they can't just leave the color natural, too. Who needs coloring? Butter looks fine without annato coloring.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 7:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I eat turkey all the time and on Thanksgiving this year I ended up with a migraine. I looked at the packaging and saw that it was injected with flavorings. I always used to feel safe when I would eat out and order a turkey club. Now I don't know if it is safe or not.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 9:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have any luck with Ruffles potato chips? They don't seem to bother me.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 10:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna Sawyer-Most turkey today not only has natural flavorings injected, but is also bathed in a solution of sodium phosphate and/or sodium lactate. I react to these chemicals just like I do to msg. You will also find these 2 chemicals in almost all lunchmeat...even those that say no msg....and in all processed cheese nade in America. So please beware.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my turkey this year from Whole Foods market. We were also able to order a goose through them too. My boyfriend had no asthma troubles this time.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been thinking about trying potato chips again but am afraid of the potatoes being grown with Auxigro. I had to stop eating all potatoes except organic because of headaches. I have gotten along very well without potato chips for years now. If I am really desperate after watching my kids eat French fries, I make my own at home. It's almost like chips. Thanks Carol for the post on turkey. I, too, bought one at Whole Foods last month, but I fed it to my family and didn't eat any myself. Maybe I'll try some that I froze on Thanksgiving, and see how I do.
Gook luck everyone finding all those hidden sources of glutamates and sulfites.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 10:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato chips are my one remaining indulgence. I sometimes do okay with Ruffles, and other times (usually when I've eaten a lot two or more days in a row), I develop some symptoms so I suspect that the potatoes are grown with AuxiGro. I finally found some organic potato chips, Garden of Eatin' brand (a Hain company). Made with whole organic potatoes, oil and sea salt, and not too thick the way Kettle chips are. I bought them at the local Wild Oats market (Oasis Fine Foods). Yummy, and no problem after eating about 2 oz. the other night!
Connie
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 5:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy New Years!

Here's an idea for shrimp preparation that may work for you too:

I was happy to be able to eat all the steamed shrimp I wanted with my family last night. We tried soaking/rinsing them in a large container before cooking and I didn't have the usual reaction to the sodium bisufite preservative found on the label. It definitely was there, because foam kept coming to the top until we'd changed the water enough.

Also, McCormick spices makes "Old Bay" which is a safe, cajun-type of dried spice mix. We use it frequently here to spice our steamed crabs and shrimp. It makes an interesting addition to many other foods like fried eggs, fish, hamburger and casaroles.
Judy
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 8:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruffles and Lays Potato Chips are by the same company. I eat some about every other day (not too too many) and have no reactions.
Laurie M
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Ruth
Horizon Organic makes butter with only sweet cream and salt no colors or flavors added. Your health food store could probably order it for you.
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 12:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Laurie,
Horizon Organic brand is my last resort (it's really expensive compared to the other butters I have been buying), but Whole Foods does carry it in my neighborhood. Deb S. Thanks for the brand name of organic potato chips. Hope I can find them at Whole Foods Market.
For everyone eating shrimp, Contessa brand frozen shrimp is delicious, farm-raised, and contains only salt. I eat it often and never have a problem. Also, Stretch Island fruit leather snacks are great take-along snacks (health food store). The only questionable ingredient is lemon juice. I've never had a problem with them, and they have a great tasting apricot one.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Gerry, Thanks for your response. I have to really watch turkey in restaurants from now on.

As far as butter, Stop & Shop brand says it uses only cream and salt. I had it but am so new to weeding everything else but the common MSG triggers from my diet that I am not sure about reactions yet.(I also have the flu so that doesn't help.) I am finding this site so helpful. Thanks to all for your advice and help. I am looking forward to a MUCH healthier New Year.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 5:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been able to eat Nabisco Ritz Crackers and I haven't had any trouble with it. Does anyone else have trouble with this?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

I have no trouble with regular Nabisco Ritz Crackers, but the reduced fat variety have added ingredients to compensate for the lost flavor. I'd stick with the original.
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 6:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can eat the Ritz crackers "with whole wheat" with no apparent problems. No malted barley flour, a plus. The only suspect ingredient is "high fructose corn syrup" but I think it's a small enough amount that it doesn't affect me. It has soy lecithin, so not for those who must avoid soy.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 1:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Anony. Nabisco now owns Knox gelatine, so be careful
Barbara Scoles
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost all salad dressings and soups have MSG. I make my own now and have fewer migraines. I flavor stuff with herbs, spices, garlic and onions, no broths, boullion etc. I only eat at a few restaurants and tend to eat the same things. Be careful with anything that says 'no MSG added'. It doesn't necessarily mean there is no MSG, since MSG occurs naturally in some foods.
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 9:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know about Bertolli classico olive oil? I seem to have reacted to it but I don't understand why.It says it in 100% pure and natural,being naturally pressed.Does the process of being naturally pressed cause any msg?
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 7:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you be allergic? I use that all the time, and my boyfriend gets no reactions.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous - I use that oil as well. It was probably something else in your meal that caused the reaction. Tomato sauce cooked too long? Parmesan cheese or part-skim mozzarella? Sourdough bread? Veggies that were grown with AuxiGro? Just to name a few possibilities...
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too use the same olive oil without problems. It is likely you ingested something else that was unknowingly msg tainted.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 8:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone, I did some searching and I found out that if you get olive oil that is just marked olive oil, they can mix it with corn oil. I react to anything corn. I'm not sure that is it but I don't think I want to try again. It did say that you have to buy virgin olive oil to get just olive oil. Thanks for the help.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 9:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Anonymous. I always wondered what that term meant. Now, what's "extra virgin" olive oil? Maybe just a better quality?
Autumn
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Extra Virgin is the best because it is from the first press.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While we are on the subject of olive oil . . . . When eating out even at the best restaurants) and you request a dish with olive oil (e.g, plain pasta with olive oil and garlic, fresh vegies,etc.), speak directly with the cook or the owner to ensure that only 100% olive oil is used. Many restaurants mix the olive oil with other types of oil (and may return the mixture to an olive oil bottle for storage). Also, they may add butter that contains additives to the pan when they are cooking with olive oil or the olive oil mixture -- making things worse! I no longer trust the person waiting on me as a result of a very bad episode I had last year -- before I gave up eating out!
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 6:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now I really am down to drinking water. I was doing fine with Tropicana brand pure premium, Grovestand Orange Juice, not from concentrate. I went to the store to pick some up this week and encountered a new label-uh oh! It now reads "NEW MORE FRESH-SQUEEZED TASTE." I was furious, and besides that, I got a migraine from it! How on earth do you get more fresh squeezed taste from a fresh squeezed orange!? The woman at customer service doesn't even drink the product (I asked her if she had tasted it). I told her it tasted different, and my daughter agrees. She insisted that the only thing that could be wrong with her wonderful product is that it was not kept under proper refrigeration and must have been starting to spoil. She said I should try another carton of it, but I think I am through with Tropicana O.J.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 8:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the article linked below, PepsiCo boasts of acquiring Tropicana and fortifying the formula with vitamin E, but they don't mention what else they may have added:
http://www.pepsico.com/press/20010221t_tropicana_timeline.pdf
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 7:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading Dr.Russell L.Blaylock "Not Just Another Scare:Toxin Additives in Your Food and Drink" I have a question for you all. If someone came up with a medication for blocking msg from entering into the blood-brain barrier would you take it, if there was no side affects?
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd rather get MSG banned as a food additive. You could say, I'd rather put a fence up on the cliff then an ambulance down in the valley.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are usually side effects to any drug, but if there was real evidence that there wasn't, I would try it for special times like when I have to travel or eat out. But I would not start eating MSG laden foods. And I would not stop alerting others to its dangers. We need to get this garbage out our the food supply, as Carol says. Not everyone could afford such a drug, either. If we don't keep sounding the alarm, how are people even going to recognize what MSG is doing to them....if we got lulled into a comfort zone of drugs?
sue m
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have discovered a link in eating out..our kids have severe reactions each time we do(which is not very often), I would think I would learn my lesson, but last night I did a naive thing..we had to eat out because we were traveling during dinner time and the kids were hungry. We could'nt find any of the "no Additives added" restraunts we had written down to try...so we ended up at a spaghetti place..big mistake obviously. My son had 3 seizures during the night and after throwing up 3 times and getting it out of his system, he is fine. He doesn't have a seizure disorder..he just can't tolerate the additives. It started when he was 3 and the doctor gave him augementon(which has aspartame in it)and now these things trigger them..if we are careful we can go a year without a seizure.Any feedback on why a spaghetti place could have caused such a nasty reaction? I know the salad dressing can, but what about the red sauces?It must have been bad because I usually don't react and I had the driest mouth and throat all night and my stomache was very bloated.any comments?
Ruth
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 3:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tomatoes are very high in natural glutamates, and when they are cooked to make spaghetti sauce, just two little tastes cause me a four day migraine. No more tomatoes for me.
I've given up eating at all restaurants! The eye opener for me was when Debby A., in her book, "Battling the MSG Myth," said that when you combine protein, vegetables, and water, as in soups and stews, and heat to high temperatures and cook slowly, you are making hydrolyzed vegetable protein (MSG) right in your own pot. It was then I realized that everything you eat, no matter at a restaurant or at home, has to be carefully scrutinized. EVERYTHING you eat has some glutamates, and when you add it all up during a day, you are ingesting a lot of it!
Sue M., do you have a copy of Debby A's. book? It is invaluable.
Ruth
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 3:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue M, Sorry, I meant to give you a good suggestion for a snack that my kids like. If you have a health food store handy, a terrific snack is Stretch Island Fruit Leather. I keep several in my purse and also in the glove compartment of the car. I am so sensitive to foods that these are about the only snack food I can eat that comes in a package. I'm sure there are lots of foods your boys would do well with. Debby A's. book has several safe food suggestions. Good luck.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 10:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue M.,
Did you or your children use parmesan cheese on your food? Parmesan is loaded with MSG. Also, some restaurant chefs sprinkle MSG in the form of Accent on the food.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 1:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After suffering one of the worst headaches and all the related symtoms I usually get from msg, and other additives, I tracked the offending item down to two things. One was green olives with pimento. The label read olive, pimentoes,water,lactic acid sodium alginatae, guar gum and Calcium Chloride.
The other item was Orajel, toothache medicene. Its contents were listed as Benzocaine in a special base.
Do you have any idea about the effect, any of these ingredients might cause. I have been reading labels for about three years now and still have problems identifying some. I definetly want to avoid what ever caused this reaction.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

You could contact them at their web site to find out what's in there "special base",

http://www.orajel.com/feedback.html

but I suspect aspartame/nutrasweet, which is used in toothpastes and similar products as an alternative to sugar.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 3:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do a word search for olives on this website. Olives are fermented and soaked in vinegar to give them their flavor. They also have sulfites (from the vinegar). Lately there isn't an olive around that doesn't give me a migraine.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous #1,

The web site below says that olives are a vasoconstrictor like MSG (under "miscellaneous"):

http://www.picoftheweb.com/healing/foods_trigger
Carol H
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 7:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I avoid green olives because they contain tyramine. Here's another link. http://health.excite.com/content/dmk/dmk_article_5462112 Notice the references to MSG as a migraine trigger. (If anyone else has already posted this page, I apologize.)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 7:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beware of the lactic acid & sodium alginate. My motto is if you can't spell or pronounce it then don't eat it!
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 4:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lactic acid is made from hydrolyzed corn or sugar beets...both high in glutamate. Alginate and guar gum most likely contain some glutamate residues since they are processed from vegetables and sea plants, I think. If aspartame is present in the paste, it can cause terrible reactions, too. And everyone agrees on the olive problem. I do okay with some brands of black olives. To zip them up, I add red pepper flakes, garlic, olive oil and some fresh lemon juice. You can marinate them that way or lightly puree the ingredients for a spread or dip.
Beth E.
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 8:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been reading and trying out recipes from Deb's book for a week now. It has been enormously helpful - particularly the paragraph on page 79 which Ruth alluded to a few days ago - about the slow simmering methods freeing up glutamate in many foods. The truth of this hit me like a ton of bricks. The day before I read this, I had spent a lot of time making a big pot of what I thought was "healthy, no MSG" chicken broth. I had simmered and reduced it by half and froze it in small amounts to use when cooking rice and noodles. That night I cooked brown rice in it and noticed a worsening of my son's behavior after dinner. I didn't know what was going on until I read that paragraph the next day. Afterwards, I thought back and realized his 3 grand mal seizures in Feb. came the evening after eating Swiss steak which I had cooked slowly in a crock pot all day long. I had been blaming the can of stewed tomatoes I added to it, and here it was the entire cooking process! Now I have to throw out tried and true cooking methods as well as most of the convenience foods from my pantry. Yikes! Are there many of you who post here that have had to rethink HOW you cook foods, as well as WHAT you cook?

Tonight my son called to me after dinner and said he thought he was having a little seizure. This is the first time I've heard those words since we started carefully watching his diet. It was very mild compared to what happened last month, but nonetheless it scared us both. After searching here for info on a few different foods, I think perhaps it was a combination of his eating a banana after school and having a big bowl of chili for dinner. We used Muir Glen organic whole tomatoes in the chili and didn't cook it for very long, but we also let him have a few saltine crackers and a cornmeal muffin with it. Was this just a bad combination for him?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 10:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth,

Have you tried the ketogenic diet for seizure control?

http://www.efa.org/answerplace/epUSA/newketogenic.html

Also, per http://www2.uic.edu/~ktao1/KETOFINAL2.htm ,

"The synaptosomal content of GABA is increased and maintained at a higher level by levels of ketone bodies. This phenomenon may contribute to the beneficial effect of the ketogenic diet."

GABA has been said to have the opposite effect of MSG.
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 6:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Beth,
I have had to change the way I cook things, too. I miss those slow-cooked classics such as beef stew or spaghetti sauce simmered with wine (especially the next day). It seems like adding insult to injury, to have to cook everything from scratch, and then also not be able to make extra for leftovers and have a break from cooking now and then. No crockpot either.

Muir Glen tomatoes have citric acid added, which is derived from corn and contains some free glutamate. I have switched to using Pomi fresh chopped tomatoes, which comes in a carton (find in the canned food aisle). A little Muir Glen tomato paste (no citric acid) can be added for thickening. Because of the natural glutamate in tomatoes, just season and heat through, but watch out for extra helpings or eating it the next day as leftovers. I have tomato-based meals WAY less often now than I used to or would like to. I haven't tried making chili yet, because it just won't seem right not to cook it for at least 1/2 hour to 45 min. And of course, no cheese on top. :(

Did you make the cornmeal muffins from scratch or from a mix? If a mix, post the ingredients if you can. You can't trust in-store bakeries, either. They use a lot of "cheaters" - things like barley malt, gluten, carrageenan and dough conditioners, and usually don't list the ingredients on the package. And most white flour contains malted barley flour, another thing to be aware of.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 8:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth, Deb S. has said a lot of what I was going to say. I buy fresh, not too ripe tomatoes for most of my tomato based dishes. I always react to citric acid and the reason that it is not added to Muir Glen tomato paste, is because when tomatoes, which are already high in glutamate are so concentrated as in puree, the amount of natural acids and glutamic acid present, maintain a high enough ph, that more acid or preservatives are not necessary for longer shelf life. When making chili, I brown my beef with onion, garlic and some chopped celery. Once that is brown , I add the water and seasonings and bring to a simmer. Then I add about 3 to 4 large fresh tomatoes (or 6 plum) that I have either chopped or pureed along with low sodium kidney beans that are rinsed well, and just bring to a simmer. Take off from the heat immediately and serve. I make spaghetti sauce, casseroles and soups the same way. Annatto in some mild cheeses may bother your son, too. Since he is highly sensitive, he may have reacted to the cornmeal or any milk product in the muffins. You can substitute farina (not the boxed Cream of Wheat....has additives) for cornmeal in most recipes, and even use a little to thicken chili...before you add the tomatoes. So happy your son is improving!
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I make tomato sauce using my Italian grandmother's recipe. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to "cook down" a tomato sauce for hours to "cut down the acid" or even add sugar. Simply putting a tiny amount of baking soda in the sauce neutralizes the acid immediately. You won't get heartburn, and you only have to cook the sauce long enough to draw out the flavor of the fresh basil. I usually cook mine an hour at most. If you are freezing the sauce or eating it immediately (not canning), you don't have to worry about the acid content anyway. Also, adding sugar only disguises the acid content, it does not neutralize it. Coca Cola will strip paint off your car because it has a very acid pH of 1, but the 13 teaspoons of sugar in it disguise the fact you're drinking paint remover. Same with sauce. Get rid of the acid, don't just disguise it. Be careful not to overdo the baking soda though, you can really make sauce taste flat if you overdo it.
Beth E.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 12:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Ron, I checked out the websites about the Ketogenic diet, and am glad to learn a little more about it. The neurologist we saw mentioned it quickly, but said he'd only recommend it as a last resort. I truly believe that we can control the seizures by carefully watching what my son eats. I just have so much to learn!

Deb S., the cornmeal muffins weren't from scratch - I used a box of Jiffy muffin mix - ingredients: enriched flour (flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), corn meal, sugar, shortening (one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lard, paritally hydrogenated lard or beef fat), leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate) and salt. If he's not sensitive to the corn, there's probably something else in that stew that he's reacting to. The saltine crackers are highly suspicious, I know. Malted barley flour was listed twice, but I gave in to his pleas for just a couple!

Deb A. - thanks for your recipe for chili. I'm so glad to know that you are still able to eat it. I'll make it next time with fresh tomatoes or Muir Glen paste. I don't think my son is sensitive to the milk I added to the muffins - he drinks whole milk at every meal and requests it before going to bed - I don't know what I'd do if he had to stop drinking milk. I ordered a freezer two weeks ago and should be getting it tomorrow. Carol's advice on preparing tomatoes for freezing will come in very handy now. Thank you all so much! You are such terrific people!
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 8:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone have a vaccination prior to becoming sensitive to this substance? I can trace it back to 5 years ago when I had several vaccines.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 7:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't have any vaccinations but I did take an antibiotic, Zithromax, for around 5 weeks for each of the two times I was bit by a Lyme tick. (The two occurences were one year apart.) My sensitivities began immediately after the first bite and progressed faster after the second bite.

My internist who helped me through Lyme told me that he frequently sees folks he treats for Lyme develop sensitivities and allergies. I don't think he knows if this is brought on by the antibiotics or the Lyme itself.

If I had to choose between taking the antibiotics versus the risk of the Lyme possibly progressing, I would still take the antibiotics. (Lyme is really nasty.)

Today, I avoid taking vaccinations or antibiotics when there are other options. Also, I avoid eating meats and farmed fish that may have been raised with antibiotics in the feed.
MaryCracraft
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 4:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth E, I made cornbread from scratch last night and have a terrible headache. I was thinking it was the corn starch in the baking powder--
I am new here, I have lots of allergies and have been tested for some but trying a natural diet to get better. Will introduce myself more later--
MaryCracraft
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 4:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh also does anyone know if sundried tomatoes are ok? I don't have any here to check the ingredients but I have used them in the past and they have a great flavor--
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 11:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary, Many on this board have trouble with corn and with overripe tomatoes. Sun dried tomatoes would be worse for you than fresh tomatoes as far as MSG is concerned. Tomatoes and corn have natural amounts of glutamate that can be released. If you also have other allergies, MSG should be avoided since it is a nerve cell stimulant, and recent research by scientists at Johns Hopkins link nerve cell stimulation with the allergic response. Corn in large amounts also contributes to troubles with the metabolism of blood sugar, something related to this whole mess, but we're not exactly sure of the exact mechanisms which connect it to MSG sensitivity. Go easy on corn and tomatoes, and eat them as fresh as you can get them.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 8:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

regarding the olive oil, I saw on television where it is not regulated in the United States the way it is in Italy, so when it says "extra virgin" in the States, it may not really be - so beware - there could be other problems or additives - I'd stick to only imported high quality olive oils - they aren't all expensive if you compare
Melissa
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 9:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found Alta Dena heavy whipping cream - and also Organic Valley dairy products seem to be doing very well for us - I can make my own ice cream now. Also, I would avoid most yogurts, Stoneyfield Farms seems to be free of msg, but I haven't tried it yet - the White Mountain Brand of Bulgarian yogurt is truly the best, and I used it to start my own yogurt making. Homemade yogurt is delicious, and is nice because it can be used to make salad dressings in place of the buttermilk. I got a yogurt maker by Donvier - yogurt machines are common in europe but not here - I got mine at Williams Sonoma - but the Krups website also has them.

Has anyone been having problems with vinegar?

Does anyone know of a brand of pickles that is safe?

and back to the Planters Peanuts dilemma - there has to be something on them besides the peanuts and salt they list. I am convinced. I am quite certain that was all I ate that could possibly have contained msg and I had reactions 2 nights in a row - when I stopped eating the peanuts, I stopped having the reactions.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 9:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa--Planters most likely treats its peanuts with sulfites to preserve them. I haven't eaten nuts (except in very, very small doses) since I suffered a sulfite reaction from nuts this past winter. I can eat peanut butter about once a week without a reaction but if I eat it more often than that, I itch like crazy.
Melissa
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely avoid corn starch - I figured out the pastry cream I was making which called for corn starch was causing us to have msg reactions - I recently made a Boston Cream Pie using corn starch made by either Hodgeson Mill or Arrowhead Mills - those two brands seem to be pretty good for a variety of products - especially the organics. We didn't have the reactions so I am assuming it was ok.

I have heard in the old days women made their own corn starch - or even potato starch - (I would use organic veggies after reading about people's experiences with Auxigro). First soaking the corn or potatoes in water to get the starches out - I've never done this - but I imagine if you grate the raw potatoes and squeeze them out you get more starch - then let all the water evaporate leaving just the powdery starches behind - then this can be used just like regular corn starch. There are also recipes where you can just make the pudding or cream using flour -

and - BEWARE of powdered sugar. In extremely small amounts it wasn't causing any problems, but I had to use quite a bit in a cake I recently made and figured out (after my husband and I reacted to it every time we ate it which prompted me to read the label) -there is corn starch mixed in with powdered sugar!! What a dilemma, is nothing sacred anymore? first butter, now powdered sugar. I was so distraught - where will I ever find powdered sugar that is safe? until I figured out - you can make your own powdered sugar!! Using white sugar (which seems to be ok for us - but get organic if it's a problem for you) then put it in the food processor for about 2 minutes, until it turns to powder!!! I have been dealing with this msg problem for about 2 years and have learned mainly through trial and error - it angers me when I have to throw away food but I feel too guilty to even give it to someone I don't like! HA - I am just so thankful for this website and all of those of you out there who care enough to help - it is comforting to know we aren't the only people out there experiencing this problem. Our families, who claim they do not react, think we are touched in our heads. they have no idea what we go through.
And to Carol H - what you said about Johns Hopkins linking nerve cell stimulation with allergic response - is so interesting - because my husband and I both have severe allergies and are treated with regular allergy shots. My allergies all started just about the same time my sensitivity to msg started. My shots work pretty well for my pollen allergies, but my husband's don't seem to be working as well. I am not sure what may have triggered this -
I also notice when I drink more coffee (greater caffiene intake), I seem to be more sensitive to msg - and my allergies seem to be worse - I first thought I must be crazy - but it sounds like there may be something to this. It's hard to give up coffee, but I'll do it if it is making my sensitivities worse. When I think back, I never drank coffee until I was around 27 or 28, and that is roughly when my allergies started - I am going to try quitting the coffee/caffiene and see if it helps. (this will not be easy, I am a coffee addict!)

If you have any additional info from Johns Hopkins I would appreciate it - I will see if they have a website.

One more thing - I have discovered San Marzano tomatoes - imported from Italy - containing nothing but salt and tomatoes do not bother my husband who is also extremely sensitive to tomato containing products - I used to think it was the acidity of tomatoes that hurt him, but he can eat fresh tomatoes and San Marzano's so I realize it's probably the glutamate either from the cooking or from the added citric adic, including Glen Muir (which is better than than the others if not eaten on an empty stomach because the citric acid is supposedly naturally derived from lemons). San Marzano Tomatoes may may be hard to find, I can only get them at our HEB Central Market which is an upscale line of HEB grocery stores in Texas. These fresh tomatoes are also delicious. I imagine you can find them at any upscale grocer or Italian import market and if they don't have them I'm sure they could get them for you.
Beth E.
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 7:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Melissa, You and your husband might want to check out the book Food Allergies by Dr. William Walsh. I picked it up at my library because there were such a large number of references to MSG in the index. It was worth reading although many here would disagree with his calling the MSG reaction an allergic one. There is quite a bit of redundancy in it, so you could probably just skim the parts of interest to you. I'm not convinced yet that my son suffers from allergies, but he is hypoglycemic and started having MSG-induced seizures this winter. Thanks to the info I got from Dr. Blaylock's and Deb's book and this message board, he hasn't had a seizure for 3 months now! :) I'd like to have him tested for allergies, but need to find either a naturopath or an allergist like Dr. Walsh who really listens to his patients - and understands the problems with MSG.
melissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 12:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My allergist understood when I told him I was reacting to msg, and he said I had "classic" symptoms. Then he explained to me that its the glutamic acid in the msg that I'm reacting to etc. He told me to avoid it. He is a good allergist, and I blame myself for not getting more information about it at the time. He said he had some literature, but I'm afraid there isn't much you can do but "avoid it". I owe him my life because I was just one big ball of infection before I found him. I was so sick I went to 3 different doctors before they finally referred me to my allergist. It turned out I am allergic to different pollens throughout the entire year, except July. I suddenly became severly allergic to all this stuff around the age of 28 or 29. So now I have taken the allergy injections for about a year and they are working.
If you can find a good allergist for your son, I know it will help you so much. If nothing else, you may find out he doesn't have any allergies, but if he does - you can find out what it is!

My husband goes to a different allergist than I do, but I found him in our list of Specialists through our health insurance company. He graduated from Johns Hopkins (they show that info in our book of doctors which is helpful), so I picked him. Wewe were new to town and I really had no other way of knowing who to pick. I guess I got lucky, because so far he has helped so much. My husband still has hives on his chest, but so far he has figured out my husband has asthma, and he also has excercise induced asthma, (which is common among athletes - he competes at a pretty high level of amatuer cycling). He has pollen/dust/mold/pet allergies, and (amazingly) he didn't have any food allergies. But we do know he is msg sensitive, lactose intolerant, and can't handle too much acidic foods like citrus. He is being treated for all of this, and so far it's pretty successful. His skin isn't constantly itchy like it used to be, his sinuses are much better, he doesn't get throat infections or bronchitis anymore, and his muscles recover normally after hard workouts, etc.
So I would say the allergists we found have been Godsends. If you can't find one the way I did, then word of mouth or doctors referral is possibly the next best thing.
Have you checked the list on this website?

Thankfully, I also followed Dr. Blaylock's book, and this website and educated myself and my husband about msg. (he already knew about it, but didn't realize it was hidden in everything) I insisted we cut it out, and now, about 1 year later, we feel better than we have in years. I feel it's both our diet and our allergists that have helped us.

I also want to add, my husband and I both used to go hypoglycemic ALL the time. It was soooo bad, we never had siezures, but honestly, after learning what foods are ok and changing our diets (and making most things, including ketchup and yogurt, and salad dressing from scratch) we don't go hypoglycemic much anymore. I am convinced it was all msg induced. It has taken about a year. I know there are still people who are hypoglycemic without msg being the cause, but I believe now a great number of case ARE msg induced. If they could just BAN this stuff from our food supply!!!!.... And thanks, I will go check out that book, it may help some. Good luck with your son, I hope he's feeling better!
Tracy
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was brave last night and ordered a side salad from a local pizza restaurant the night before last. A friend of mine ordered pizza and the same salad. I used my own oil and lemon juice but had a terrible headache yesterday and still have it today. My friend is just as sick. Any ideas what could have been in the salad to cause it? It was only lettuce, a few tomatoes and a cucumber. I am so afraid to eat out and now I have to start dating! How will I explain all of this?
Also, I looked for Contessa shrimp at my Whole Foods but they don't sell it. Does anyone know where I can get it?
I was reading about the oils and I wonder if mine is safe. I have been using Canola oil because that is what my neurologist recommended.

Does anyone have the recipe for homemade baking powder. I have Deb's book but can't find it in there.

I am so thankful for this messageboard. Every time I read it I learn something new and throw something out!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 10:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracy--There's a 'fresh food' subtopic in one of the topics and it talks about how restaurants use FIT to wash produce for salads. That could be what made you sick or the produce could have been sprayed with auxigrow while it was growing. Also, if you do a keyword search on this site on canola oil, you'll discover some interesting things (I was also a canola oil user, until I read about it in depth, now I use safflower oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil).
Tracy
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 4:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn,
Thanks for the info. I did a search on Fit and saw that according to a posting a few days ago it has been discontinued. Thank God for that! Although who knows how much restaurants have in stock and will continue to use. I guess I will avoid salads also for a While. I also searched on Canola oil and will look for Safflower. The others are out because peanuts give me a headache. I searched auxigrow to find out what fruits and veggies are safe but couldn't find much. I went to Publix to try to find some not grown in California but there was not much. I have only seen large Idaho potatoes, strawberries and grapes as probably being sprayed. If anyone has a list of what is being sprayed I would really appreciate it. I could go to Whole foods but it is super expensive and from what I have read that may not even be safe.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 4:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracy, I get my shrimp from Costco. It's one of those large warehouse chains.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 7:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - You are stating that you buy only Contessa shrimp at Costco's freezer food section. Yes?

I want to clarify this for the benefit of others to make certain that no one buys the loose shrimp sold in Costco's meat/fish section. The loose shrimp at my local Costco is often marked as being soaked in some sort of sodium, sulfite or phosphate solution which can be real trouble for many of us.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point, MEMorris. Sorry about that. Yes I buy Contessa frozen cooked shrimp at Costco. I find it in the freezer section. The Contessa shrimp costs so much less at Costco than it does at Whole Foods. I usually don't buy fresh shrimp at all. I don't cook it as well as Contessa.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracy,
Contessa brand frozen shrimp is available in the freezer section of two of my local food markets, as well as Whole Foods Market. I don't have a bag in my freezer, but maybe someone who does can post the address of the company so that your local market can possibly order it for you. I do very well with the product.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contessa Food Products, P.O. Box 1950, San Pedro CA 90733 phone 1-800-832-8000 9am - 5pm PST
Also http://www.contessa.com
Suzy D
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that Tuna is fine when the label does not include any ingredient other than tuna, water and salt. But, has anyone found a mayonaise that is free of msg, "natural flavors"?
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 10:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the only mayo I've found has either soybean oil or natural flavors. But, I have been able to tolerate Spectrum Natural Canola Oil mayo without problems. It does have natural flavors, though. Deb's book has some mayo recipes that I've been meaning to try as well.
shirley
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you call the company and ask them what is the natural flavoring or to make it without natural flavorings.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 5:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read at the Whole Foods market the story behind their canola oil. The canola oil they sell is not from genetically engineered canola. If they use the same canola oil for their mayo, it might not be as bad as we feared.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not concerned about the canola oil at the hfs. If it the natural flavorings that have msg that bother me. I had fibromygia and still have some problems left regarding pain and muscle strength so I have to watch glutamate.

Thanks!
Tracy
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found Contessa shrimp at my supermarket! Thanks!
Sandra Davis
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 2:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
My name is Sandra Davis. Can anyone tell me how to know if a milk powder contains msg? Also soy protein isolate and whey protein isolate? I have a recipe for a health shake that looks good, but calls for soy and whey protein isolate. I would like to store some powdered milk for emergencies, but don't know if any is safe for me. What about non-instant powdered milk? Also, is there a way to know if a particular carageenan is safe?
Thank you.
jjmartin
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 4:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just discovered through the process of elimination that I am having serious reactions to DelMonte canned pineapple which the label says is pineapple and pineapple juice. A year ago I had no problems with it. We use it in stir fry. I've been at this MSG thing two years now and it is just so discouraging. The first time I reacted I suspected green peppers, the second time I reacted we that eaten it with organic tortillas and I suspected them. When we ate it last I said "if I react now it has to be the pineapple" So three, three-day headaches later I now know it was the pineapple for sure, but I'm still afraid to eat green peppers. It is so hard.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 5:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the juice was concentrated, that may explain it.
Regardless, I have reached a point where I just don't trust anything in a can, box, or any other type of package! Now, I even feel that I need to know how the fruit/vegie/animal is raised and kept until I eat it. We are certainly living in a different world that has changed before our very eyes and we don't want to believe it. Everything is driven by $.

Be sure to read the link that Roy posted a couple of days ago at http://www.priorityonevitamins.com/artichealth/msg.htm
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 3:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for links about pineapple on this site. Pineapple contains a chemical that acts as a meat tenderizer by breaking the protein bonds. Cold, fresh pineapple may be fine, but when you mix it with meat or protein, that breaks the protein down, which is the major complaint we have with free glutamate. You're making your own MSG. A Home-Ec major will tell you not to mix pineapple into jello (not that you'd eat that stuff anyway:) )- it destroys the structure. Also check out discussions about corn. Corn may interfere with the glucose to energy pathway, a related complaint to MSG reactions.
cheryl
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 9:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JJMartin, My son and husband react to all canned pineapple. They don't react to green peppers. Thanks for the tip Carol. I didn't know what was wrong with it. I think I've seen that ingredient listed on meat tenderizor before. My husband and son reacts to that also. I'll give fresh pineapple another try.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 10:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canned pineapple has sulfites added to it, as does the juice, whether concentrated or not. I do well with fresh pineapple...too much can give me a mouth sore, though, for the reasons Carol mentioned. But if I grill it or fry to brown it with a sprinkle of sure, I do better...must break down the enzyme??

Sandra, soy and whey protein isolate are extremely high in free glutamate. Dry milk solids of any kind are also high in free glutamate. All these products are created by high heat, which breaks down the protein linkages. The free glutamate can enter the blood stream 8 to 10 faster than bound glutamate. I store safe tuna, peanut butter, dry beans and grains, Muir Glen tomato puree, Seeds of Change spaghetti sauce, my own bottled fruits and grape juice, water, naturally smoked salmon, oysters, oils, salt, spices, calcium powder, and crystal vitamin C....and some dry cereals we can eat. We have 2 freezers filled with veggies and fruits and some meat. That's about it. Oh, I also buy almonds in bulk. They seem to keep better if I roast them and freeze them. I freeze flour and organic corn meal, and refrigerate ground flaxseed, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.
Laurie M
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 11:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy Natural Value canned fruit and veggies. Their pineapple is only unsweetened fruit in its own juice with no preservatives. They use the white lined cans that Muir Glen does . They also do garden veggies that are certified organic. I have never reacted to them. They are a lifesaver for me. They don't use any preservatives.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page