Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG and "allergic" response

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Scientific Information » MSG and "allergic" response « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 6:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted this on the nomsg board but thought mention belonged here. The nurse Su, who posted on that site mentioned that her eosinophil levels became elevated after eating msg. I think she may be onto something there. Here is my response:

Here is a link that may explain a big domino effect of MSG and cell damage. http://www.apbiotech.com/product/publication/lsn/19/pages/p21-full.htm Notice that Cysteine is one of the amino acids involved that mediates eosinophil deployment. Cysteine and glutamate compete with each other. Perhaps glutamate is the key that also fits in the same lock as the cysteine compound to unleash these eosinophils. Eosinophils are really the white blood cells sent out to destroy invaders and parasites, but which when unleashed in the wrong place cause the damage seen in asthma. What if glutamate by its action shortcuts the immune response, bypassing antibodies completely? By loosing damaging eosinophils which are "all revved up with no place to go", perhaps the nerve cell death we see from excitotoxicity is compounded with damage done by mercenary eosinophils that need to go out and kill something, but the antibodies are not there to direct them.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 6:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, we need you! Next we must find some scientist that you can influence (and fill in!).
Carol H
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 5:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I can't wait to meet you guys in Reno. It was a long decade for me worrying about all of this alone. It was so hard to change careers. Fortunately, I passed that darn civil engineer test. I should get my Professional Engineer license in a few months. My specialty is water resources. Now I can make a living helping those environmentalists I know by protecting our waterways, while spending volunteer time educating people about food. In other words, I might finally sleep at night.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

Let's hope it is an easy step to take those "water polution aware" people you will be working with and make them "food pollution aware" people. Could you imagine the EPA stepping into the picture and embarrassing the FDA? That would be a site to see.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 6:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol! You deserve to sleep well after all the hard work and sacrifices you made to change careers due to what you believed in. Congrats big time!!!
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 3:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, one of the most effective environmentalists NJ has seen so far, someone the developers are actually afraid of here, is someone whose mother recently spent an entire week in the hospital due to a restaurant episode of MSG ingestion. This particular environmentalist is extremely upset about MSG being hidden and especially that restaurant workers don't take us seriously.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 8:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

The link below tells of someone who died because a restaurant worker didn't take her sensitivity to MSG seriously:

http://www.annapolis.net/members/holland/resturas.txt
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 4:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a new book that applies to those of you with inflammation symptoms - "Beyond Aspirin" by Thomas M. Newmark and Paul Schulick. It is based on the absolute latest research regarding Cox-2 inhibition. Cox-2 is the main enzyme resonsible for inflammation associated with Alzheimer's disease. The drugs Celebrex and Vioxx are Cox-2 inhibitors, but the authors of this book contend that using high powered pharmaceuticals is not a good idea, since there are already herbs used for thousands of years that do the same thing. Ginger, rosemary, oregano, turmeric, and green tea are some of the more common herbs that contain Cox-2 inhibiting properties. In addition, the ancient herb Gotu Kola, used for thousands of years to promote "mental clarity" contains asiatic acid which appears to prevent the formation of the abeta plaque seen in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. I highly recommend this book. It is written in plain English and the research cited is extremely current. Those of you who suffer from MSG sensitivity and allergies might do well adding fresh ginger, oregano, and rosemary to your home cooking now. It's a yummy way to deal with this problem. (Be aware that the pink ginger seen in japanese restaurants sitting next to your sashimi may be spiked with MSG.) White Sushi ginger made by Buderim is avalable at Whole Foods and doesn't have MSG added (it does have vinegar though). I put it in spinach salads with Contessa Shrimp, pigniola nuts, and sesame oil.
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes good book. One sentence stood out when I first perused the book..."...by reducing systemic inflammation on a long-term basis, evidence is overwhelming that we can reduce the incidence or severity of Alzheimer's disease." That message has stuck with me even though it is just one minor idea in the book.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on the "Beyond Aspirin" book is linked below:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0FKA/5_62/62702344/print.jhtml
DJ
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 1:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H.

Thanks for the information. Planning on getting the book, and I have added Ginger. Hope it works.

DJ
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 5:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ and Judy T, I'm not sure if this was posted here already by Roy but here goes http://165.112.78.61/MeetSum/Glutamate/abstracts.html It technically describes glutamate and inflammatory response.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 6:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: Don't you wish you could have been at that meeting in 98? Wow. What is interesting is that there is enough interest in glutamates that there was a full conference around the subject. Under the Posters section, there is one abstract that discusses lithium; did you see that?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page