Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Safe products?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Safe products? « Previous Next »

karen marrow
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 3:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was shopping at whole foods and purchased a couple of products for my children and wondered if anyone could comment on whether they thought they contained msg or not. one is han's all natural uncured hot dogs. the ingredients are beef, water, salt, spices, garlic powder, paprika, and beet powder. the label says no msg, but why would they list "spices" rather than listing out the individual spices like they did with garlic power and paprika? it kind of makes me suspicious.
the other product is sun drops candy coated chocolate. the label states no artificial colors or flavors. the ingredients in the center are: dried can juice and unsulphured molasses, whole milk powder, cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate, soy lecithin (added as an emulsifier), pure natural vanilla. the ingredients in the shell are: turbinado sugar, whole rice solids, natural color added (including beet juice, beta carotene, and caramel), vegetable and bee's wax, pure food glaze without sugar. does anyone know what food glaze is made of?
also, a while back, someone gave a website where you could find out the nutritional content of any food. i think it was put out by the government. if anyone could tell me that again, i would really appreciate it. thank you!
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, I just made some of those hot dogs today, and my boyfriend was fine - no asthma attacks.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 7:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, the following ingredients you listed most likely contain some % of glutamate: beet powder and maybe the spices (you would have to call and ask the company). Beets, molasses, and corn are three of the major food sources used to make MSG. The chocolate "Sun Drops" contain glutamate from molasses, whole milk powder, soy lecithin, and caramel coloring (made from hydrolyzed starches or roasted malted barley). Food glazes are iffy. Most of the time they contain some hydrolyzed protein, and sulfites. But the amount of glutamate in these products may be small enough to not cause a reaction for your children. You will have to look for any signs of a reaction. I know it's so difficult sometimes. But at least these products sound a lot safer than most similar commercial items.
karen marrow
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 11:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

deb a. and carol h., thanks for your responses. deb, what would i ask the company? what percent of glutamate was contained in the beet powder and spices? the label says it contains no msg, so it what you are referring to natural glutamate? if not, how can they claim that it contains no msg if in fact it does?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most food manufacturers are not aware that dehydrating (high heat especially) or hydrolyzing (water and heat/chemicals) something high in natural glutamate such as milk,tomatoes,yeast,corn beets,etc. will create free glutamate, the harmful component of MSG. You can ask, but not too many people will know the exact amount of free glutamate in their product because they don't have to, by law. Very sensitive individuals may react to natural glutamate in foods like the ones I mentioned, so they avoid or eat them occasionally. When you call a company, tell them you or your child is DEATHLY "allergic" to MSG and all forms of glutamic acid, such as yeast extract, hydrolyzed protein, and other such aliases often found in "spices" or "natural flavors", and then ask what they mean by such vague words.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had good experiences with no reactions to low fat milk products? Example: Cottage cheese, yogurt, ricotta. If so, what is name of product and brand?

I know we have to watch out for low fat products because the processing may create problems for us NoMSGers but I'd really like to experiment carefully. I'd like to add some lower fat milk products to my diet to supplement the calcium that I hope I am getting from other foods such as dark leafy vegies and almonds.
Laurie M
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 9:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I occasionally can eat Nancy's lowfat cottage cheese without any visible reactions. I buy Brown Cow cream at the top whole yogurt and skim the cream myself.
Jim Dante
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 7:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about Foster Farms 100% natural turkey parts? My spouse and I have had serious reactions to the product but Foster Farms denies that they use any "broth impregnation" process in their meats?
cheryl A
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son's not been well for about 5 weeks and has missed many school days already this year due to headaches and other neurological symptoms. He's been out of school for almost a week now and I can't seem to pinpoint the trigger. He's chemical sensative and very sensative to sulfites. I suspect it's the nonorgainic bananas he's been eating. I know they're sprayed with a ripening chemical. Does anyone know the name of the chemical and are other fruits sprayed with this chemical. Also does anyone know of a good safe brand of bottled water? I've found that most spring water contains sulfates.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryl, are you sure that your son is not also reacting to MSG? His reactions seem to point to that. Sulfites never bothered me until I became very MSG reactive. Then I began to react to all sorts of things. You might stop feeding him any bananas for a week and see if that is the culprit. Sulfates are the inactive salts of sulfur, but sulfites are the more dangerous form of sulfur compounds which those of us who are reactive must diligently avoid. They mainly cause stomach distress, belching, bloating, back pain, headaches, and diarhea.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 9:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim, if you are reacting, trust your body. We have been told by experts that we can't always trust what company spokespersons tell us. Sometimes they don't really know and sometimes they give misleading or false information. Poultry, especially if it is being shipped long distances is often treated with strong preservatives. Most are dipped in a chlorine/water bath before packaging, and it has been suggested that some of the new age packaging is treated with strong preservatives such as BHT. A product may not be injected, but it can be dipped in a broth solution that contains flavor enhancers. Whatever product I try, I always soak and squeeze, and drain the chicken and then repeat. I don't really know if that helps a lot. I do okay with Foster Farms fresh chicken(most of the time). They are processed nearby and they told me that they only add preservatives to products that they are shipping long distance.
cheryl A
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I'm going to stop the bananas for awhile and see if he gets better. He does react to MSG I believe he is chemical sensative and reacts to many chemicals. Do you know if sulfates in natural forms or natural sulfur is tolerable if you react to sulfites?
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 7:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re Bananas, see:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/banana.html I canít tell if sulfites are in the MANY pesticides and other chemicals that are mentioned throughout this reference.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 9:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm no chemist, but I know that the body needs some sulfur to function, and that some sulfite sensitive people take MSM supplements safely. I avoid sulfites and all its forms in foods used as a preservative, sulfa drugs, and strong cleaners that use powerful sulfur compounds such as sulfamic acid. Ruth Winters and Beatrice Trum Hunters have books about food additives. Both are excellent sources, as is the Net. You can do a key word search here under "utilities" at the left to read more that has been posted here about sulfites.
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read on this site or on NoMSG in the last few days that onion and garlic have natural sulfites. I gave them up about a year ago as I think I was reacting to them. I didn't know why, but I do know that sulfites are a major problem for me. Regarding bananas, they are high in tyramine and might give some people problems. Maybe the less ripe they are, the more easily tolerated? Tyramine is also not a good thing if one is on certain medications such as MAO inhibitors, which I also read that fewer people are on these days because of interactions.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page