Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG in different languages.

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » MSG in different languages. « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was hoping we could start a list of how people that seak different languages say MSG or monosodium Glutamate. Then I can take a list with me when I travel, and at least attempt to ask if the food has msg in it.
Thanks
Aaron
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 2:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a good idea. We need to do some research and share our knowledge about the foreign names.
It's known as anjinomoto in some countries, and also unami, I believe.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vacation Needed Badly! Any suggestions out there on a place to stay for vacation where it is fairly non-toxic and peaceful with full kitchen facilities in a location that close to nature yet close enough to stores that sell good unprocessed fresh food? (I don't want to lug kitchen supplies and food with us. We do not eat at restaurants because of MSG and other sensitivities.) To not tie up Deb A's valuable web site with travel info, would you please Email your suggestions and experience to me at MEMorrisNJ@worldnet.att.net. In return, I will create a summary to share with those who have a similar need. Much thanks,ME
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 11:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, you can tie up this posting board with as much helpful information as any of you want! I'm sure we'd all benefit from suggestions of places, restaurants, and accommodations.
I like to be near Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, if possible, when I am traveling or staying somewhere. And of course a place with a kitchen or microwave/refrigerator is important.
I don't get away enough to help...outside of WA state and Oregon, that is.
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ: I sure wish you'd come to Nevada, ME. Reno is a big city now (about 200,000 which isn't much to many of you), but it's so easy to get outta Dodge from there. I work 90 miles out of town. I hired a gal from Texas who was chemically sensitive and found this area perfect for her health...dust from the desert but no chemicals in the air, sky you can see that is blue with clouds, you know, real sky. And local food to buy like eggs and meat. The short comings are you have to go to Reno for a Traders Joe or Wild Oats. There are ranches that offer 'dude' stuff with home cooked meals and lots of quiet time. The short comings are that you have to find your own entertainment and lots of folks can't handle that. Maybe you could come to the September meeting, investigate the surrounding area and find a place you'd want to return to?
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 9:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's called miwon ( mee-one ) in korean.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 6:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just returned from 5 days of vacation in the Adirondacks at a fully equipped vacation home. It was wonderful. Each morning before leaving for our day trips, we had breakfast at the house and then, I made a lunch to carry with me in a freezer pack. This way, I made certain to have lunch and some snacks on time to avoid any possibility of wanting restaurant food or having a “slump”.

On the nights when my friends wanted to eat out, they would sit with me as I cooked and ate my dinner before our departure for the restaurant. I was very satisfied by the time we left the house and I didn’t miss the restaurant food in the least but I was able to still enjoy the companionship of my friends and actually chatted about the menu(as I tried to figure out in my mind how I would modify it if I was the cook). I made certain to tell the waitress that I was extremely allergic and would be having only water with fresh lemon and offered to pay a charge in lieu of ordering a meal. At every restaurant, the waitress accommodated me with no charge.

Here is a list of most of the food that I brought with me: Flax seed previously ground in my electric coffee mill, kosher salt with no additives, safe Yogurt, Safe Plain Italian Bread (made of only yeast, flour, salt and water), Safe tea, small bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, garlic, onions, Semolina Pasta, Millet, Bottled Spring Water, Frozen organic chicken, Small containers of previously cooked beans (lentil, adjuki, garbanzo, black eyed peas), organic green vegies (Lettuce, broccoli, swisschard, broccoli rabe), root vegies (organic carrots, turnips, parsnips, organic sweet potatoes, organic yams), avocados, organic fruit (bananas, apples, peaches, nectarines, plums), organic citrus fruit (organges and lemons), safe corn chips (Trader Joe’s), Ghiradelli chocolate, and home made cookies.

To carry all my food, it took one large picnic freezer bag on wheels and one laundry basket. Fortunately, we were travelling by car and there was plenty of room. Yes, before I left, it took quite a bit of effort to pack this all up and I must admit I was feeling very sorry for myself initially --- but I felt otherwise as each vacation day passed. Sure, I could have bought a lot of food once we arrived at our destination yet I was glad I bought my food at familiar stores in advance so not to waste any time shopping and to feel secure from the start. (I am extremely sensitive to MSG and other additives.)

My meals were really perfect and I felt so darn good after the 6 days were over. Every meal was enjoyable and at no time did I feel I was missing out on restaurant food or did I feel unsafe. This was quite a change from our past vacations where we would look forward to trying all the local restaurants and travel by jet but for me, restaurants are absolutely no longer safe. (Remember my posting about getting sick on just plain lettuce that the restaurant washed with FIT?) For me, I have gone through a definite life style change due to my chemical sensitivities that include problems with MSG and other food additives.

Now, I am seeking other places where there are rental houses so we can get away again by car. If anyone has had recommendations regarding vacation rentals with full kitchens, please post or email me.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 7:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MeMorris...I'm so happy that you had such an enjoyable and healthy vacation. What an inspiration you are to me. I will be sure to print up what you have shared with us to use for future trips. I wish we had access to more organic produce here. I know it would make a difference. Next year we will have a better garden!
For those in the Northwest like us, we have found renting a beach house on the Oregon coast to be the most relaxing and safest of vacations.....Lincoln City, Pacific City, Seaside, and Cannon Beach are all nice destinations. Cannon Beach and Lincoln City offer the most to do, but we like the quiet of Pacific City (we drive to the other places from there), and they have a fantastic restaurant that we are able to eat at...all fresh fish and produce...."Riverhouse". Doesn't look like much from the outside, but it gets rave reviews....the freshly caught halibut is a must.
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 8:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go, MEMorris.
Don't be afraid to try Europe for vacations. Just make sure the bed and breakfast has a kitchen you can use. Many guest houses in London have a full kitchen, and although they expect you to bring your own pots and pans, they were very happy to let me use theirs when I told them I had food allergies. I got through a month, no problem, cooking only every 5 days. For protein, I basically lived on hard boiled eggs, beans and brown rice. The beans and rice were jazzed up with raw peppers and other veggies in lemon and olive oil. I always took a Tupperware full of cut up fresh fruits with me for meals, too. When my family would stop for lunch, I would whip out what I brought. With a portable carrier and blue ice, I easily transported what I needed for longer distances and between cities. My room either had a refrigerator or there was one I could use. I brought everything I needed in an extra suitcase, but much of it went uneaten as I discovered wonderful, safe foods to eat. I wound up leaving behind much of what I had brought so that I could fit the delicious rice cakes from Belgium and the sesame and honey energy bars from England in my suitcase to bring back. I do recommend taking as much as you can with you, pastas, rice, beans. It's just nice to feel safe. I found all the lodging on the Internet. Some were advertised with kitchens and refrigerators, and if I was not sure, I e-mailed the host or owner. It was a lot of preparation, but well worth the trouble.
Judy T
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 1:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh, what wonderful postings. Thank you MEMorris and Ruth. I just cancelled my trip to China because the dilemmas seemed insurmountable. Wished I talked to you two first.
amh
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 1:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I got back from Nova Scotia two weeks ago. Since I had ended up in the hospital in early June I was scared. But, I had NO trouble eating in restaurants. I even ate bread and turkey. I think possibly the food just does not have as much MSG in Canada.
I was careful, and didn't eat in fast food restaurants, but I did eat fish, eggs, potatoes etc with no problems. It was a pleasure.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good choice, ME Morris. I love the Adirondacks. Relatives of mine run a beautiful place there called Chimney Mountain Wilderness Lodge. It is located off of Routes 28 and 30 in the town of Indian Lake. The lake is practically private and is ringed by mountains. If you need bare essentials there is a store 20 minutes away. There are no phones or tvs at the cabins, but each cabin has a nice fireplace and screened in porch as well as fully equipped kitchen. This year we spent a week there, and I did most of the cooking for the six of us. Everybody laughed at me when they saw how much food I brought, but they were too busy eating to laugh at me again for the rest of the week :) Another good trip if you like the outdoors, and don't mind eating rice and beans all week - Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada is a beautiful place to canoe. Algonquin Outfitters located just outside the Park will ready you with what you need for a several-day, canoeing, portaging trip into the Canadian wilderness. You pretty much have to become a vegetarian, as meat doesn't keep very well trekking through nature. You'll come back lean and mean, and appreciating civilization and home cooking from a real kitchen more than ever.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Found this site too http://www.pridejoyresort.com/
They cater to folks with MCS. I haven't stayed there but it sounds interesting...
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 7:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol's family's place:

Chimney Mountain Wilderness Lodge
Kings Flow
Indian Lake, NY 12842
201-825-1912
kitchenettes available in rooms
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 7:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vacation tips for the chemically sensitive --- some of which may be helpful to us NoMSGers:

http://www.snowcrest.net/lassen/eiemer.html
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 10:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great link MEMorrisNJ!!!! Thanks.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 8:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

I avoid Allegra. My doctor gave me a lot of free samples of it, so I tried one pill, but was sick for days from it. Allegra was pushed as a replacement for Seldane, which was considered more dangerous, but which gave me no serious reactions. My own experience leads me to suspect that in the long run Allegra may prove more harmful than Seldane.

http://www.bergen.com/healthw/seldane19971230.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page