Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What can I eat to get started? I need...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Share Your Symptoms » What can I eat to get started? I need some relief now? « Previous Next »

Karen C.
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 1:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone please outline a simple diet that I can start right away?

I have been having burning sensations for the past 7 months. My tongue, mouth, stomach, intestines, are the main places, but also have burning in my chest and heart and down my left arm occasionally. The burning is worse when I sit or lie down.

My doctors tell me that my heart is fine, and don't take me seriously about the burning, they think I have fibromyalgia. They wrote ibs, acid reflux, and fibromyalgia on my chart. I have had a Normal colon scope, & numerous blood test.

I have been trying many things since December, organic, raw foods, juicing, no dairy, no meat or little meat, vitamins, soy and whey protein, blood type diet, and Nothing seems to help. I just do not know what to eat to get some relief.

I have been a fast food junkie for sometime, but only started having these bad symptoms since Dec. 2000.

Lately we have been eating at restaurants at least once a day, sometimes twice.

MSG causing pain makes perfect sense to me.

I know now eating out is something I have to stop!!!

But I have to eat, Can someone outline a simple diet that I can start right away with out having to learn all the foods to avoid.

thank you
Karen
Marcia
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 4:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen,
IF you want to truly get rid of the symptoms of FMS you must learn what to avoid and read labels. At first it is difficult but the time comes when you know all of the aliases of MSG to survive and live a symptom free life. For me just getting whey or vitamins would cause what is called a FMS flare Eating out is difficult and very limited and for me not worth the effort or the possibility of getting something that causes me pain and suffering. Debby's book, in my opinion, is a must. Knowledge is the key. For breakfast I love to eat my own homemade pancakes, maple syrup and strawberries. For lunch my own meatloaf, beef, tuna burger sandwich, salad and etc. It is hard to show you what to eat not knowing your likes and dislikes or the locale where you live because of different brands of food.
Ruth
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 9:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen,
Soy and whey protein are hidden sources of MSG. Vitamines have fillers, commonly corn starch. I avoid anything remotely connected to corn. Anything corn is suspect.
Avoid anything from a box, can, or bottle. Sounds like you're on the right track with the raw foods, though sometimes even raw fruits and vegetables can cause people problems. Maybe you need to start with one or two vegetables and see if you get a reaction. The best way to find the problem foods is one at a time, eaten with foods you know are safe. Are you O.K. with beef? I eat only steak and hamburger, grilled. I react to something they put on most chicken and fish-acid washes and sulfites. I eat only organic lettuce for my salad, and the only vegetables I can eat without getting a headache is a lightly grilled red or yellow pepper and organic potatoes. That's it! I am O.K. with some fruits-kiwis, nectarines, peaches, apples, and lemons for fresh lemonade and salad dressing. That's all for fruit. I hear it's good to rotate the fruits you eat. I make my own bread with white spelt flour to avoid getting malted barley and other additives in "enriched" flour. I make French toast out of the bread, which I make in a bread machine several times a week. I use pure maple syrup, and the eggs add lots of protein. I eat a little organic pasta. I have never taken vitamins in my life. Now I wouldn't take them because of the fillers. My diet is really limited, but I think it is pretty balanced. Also, I gave up all dairy except for a little butter. I get my calcium from a powder-Tri Salts, that I found out about on this board. I have no problem with honey, Sucanaut, and regular white sugar. I also am not allergic to wheat and gluten. This makes it easier for me than for a lot of others. I don't eat anything I don't cook myself. I have only water at restaurants, which I manage to avoid most of the time (restaurants, that is). I gave up all coffee, tea, everything but water to drink, because most of it is fermented or old, or has flavors added.
It sounds like a terrible way to live, but the alternative is constant migraines and calling in sick for work. It's well worth the sacrifice, plus I've lost 20 pounds without even trying, and I never go hungry.
I hope you stick with it. The benefits of living without MSG are worth the trouble of finding out what your body can tollerate and what it can't. Do you have Debby's book-a must!
Karen C.
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 8:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help and encouragement.. Just wanted to say that I didn't have my usual soy/whey protein shakes today, or many of regular my vitamins, although I am still having pain, the burning is much less today..

Just read about a person who compared msg to aspertame. I have felt many of my symptoms are similar to those who are sick from eating and drink foods with aspertame. The only thing is that I don't use aspertame, or diet foods with it in it, but I probably get alot of MSG.

I would be great if avoiding MSG is one thing that finally helps.

thanks
Karen
amh
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 2:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Karen C
Just saw your post today Monday 6/25/01. Start by drinking at least two liters of distilled water a day. Eat eggs if you can for protein boiled or scrambled. NO bread for a week or more.
No soy-that makes you hurt like heck.
Eat lemons or the juice in your water. This helps to purify your system.
I use about one teaspoon of flax seed oil (Full Spectrum brand) on vegetables three times a day.
This helps keep your joints from being stiff.
Salmon which I broil I eat three times per week. I only buy from a fish market where I have had no problems. Not from a super market.

Keep watching this board. Add foods very slowly. If they give you a problem, you will probably know in a matter of hours. Eat as many organic green leafy vegetables as you can tolerate. We have all been there. AMH
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen--If you are having problems with your digestive track, I can tell you from experience that raw fruits and vegetables are a no-no. I have Crohne's Disease, which is inflamation of the digestive track. It's a chronic condition. I haven't had a flare up in quite some time, but if I do experience a flare up, the first thing I do is lay off the fresh fruits and vegetables.

In addition to great advice from the others who posted, I'd recommend a couple things. Find a local farmer, if you can, where you can buy fresh meat from a safe source. We get chicken, beef and pork from one farmer. Lamb from another farmer. Organic oatmeal is good for breakfast, as is farina (it's like Malt-O-Meal without the bad stuff in it). It's probably a good idea to lay off the dairy products initially and maybe add them back in one at a time. In the interim, try Rice Dream rice milk. It's a great replacement. I do well with Pavich organic raisins. I put flax seeds on my cereal in the morning and sometimes stick them in casseroles when I make them. Oh and if you haven't already, buy Deb's book. It's full of great recipes and advice. Hope this helps.
Carole
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 8:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn H (and anyone else) - There was an article about Crohn's disease in today's Seattle Times. Is this often MSG-related? Evelyn, is MSG-avoidance the reason you have been having fewer flare-ups, or do you think it is mostly due to other diet changes (I know you mentioned avoiding fresh produce.) After reading this article I want to help these people! If there is real evidence of an MSG connection to this disease, perhaps someone (me, perhaps?) could contact the reporter who wrote the Times' story and see if she could do some follow-up research. Maybe there's an opportunity here. I don't have enough info to do anything with this right now.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carole--I started avoiding MSG initially to help my son's asthma and ADD symptoms. In doing so, I changed my family's diet considerably, gave up Coke (one of the hardest things for me to give up), gave up the prepackaged dinners and convenience foods, etc. About a month later, I noticed that my own symptoms were less severe. While, I've never had a severe flareup, aside from the first one which hospitalized me, I suffered gas/bloating, constipation, diarhea on a regular basis. Those symptoms are now gone, unless I don't eat properly. And, I pretty much eat everything I want to eat (as long as it's MSG free and/or organic).

Perhaps the reporter could do a followup article. I don't know of any hard and fast research to back me up, but I know how my body is and how I feel. That's good enough for me.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 5:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carole, Doesn't former President Bush have Crohn's disease or something like it? Remember when he got so sick at a formal dinner that he literally got sick in his hosts lap? It was in Japan. I wonder what was in his food. It was probably loaded with MSG.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 7:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For information on Crohn's disease, go to http://qurlyjoe.bu.edu/cducibs/ibdfaq1.html
I think MSG can mimic Crohnís disease if MSG creates gastrointestinal problems as it did with me. My former doctor thought I had an inflammatory bowel disease until I turned my severe digestive flare-ups and drastic weight around after I gradually eliminated MSG and other additives from my diet --- thanks for my fellow NoMSGers here.

PS The former President Bush and Barbara Bush had Graves disease, a thyroid disorder that can cause irregular heartbeats. I don't think either had Crohn's.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops -- I meant drastic weight loss (not drastic weight) which is one of the symptoms of Crohn's.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 11:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris--I don't disagree with you. But I was diagnosed with Crohne's after what was thought to be appendicitis landed me in the hospital. I had several inches of my intestines removed to repair the blockage. I recovered and used to suffer minor flare-ups from time to time, intestinal distress, etc. Once our diet changed, however, I had no further problems. If I ingest MSG regularly, when I fall off the good food bandwagon as I do occasionally, I almost immediately start to feel it. Whether it's MSG causing similar symptoms or MSG contributing to Crohne's, I'm not certain.
Carole
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 11:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like there isn't enough evidence linking MSG to Crohns for me to call this editor. Unless you know of any studies, Deb?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page