Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG and Children

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection » MSG and Children « Previous Next »

Carole
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 5:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to share a story about my son. Out of my three children he was the most mellow and easygoing as a baby. Then -- somewhere towards the end of his second year (about the time I loosened up on what he ate) -- he became a very difficult child to parent. He continued to be very sweet and delightful much of the time (in fact he tended to endear himself to people we'd meet even more than his close-in-age siblings). But he also developed this MONSTER side. I'd heard all about the "terrible twos", although I never really experienced them with my first child. I was willing to cut him lots of slack for his various developmental stages, but there was something so disturbing about his mood fluctuations and tantrums, especially when they continued past his fourth birthday. I kept feeling like "This isn't really him. He's an easygoing guy by nature, I KNOW he is! When will he grow out of this?" But the struggles continued.

Recently I discovered my own senstivity to MSG. For several days I fed only MSG-free foods to my children and was astounded by the difference in them -- particularly that one son. It felt like I got my real child back. For three whole days he was mellow, easygoing and fun. When he did get upset about something, his response felt reasonable to me instead of crazed.

This morning -- exactly 12 hours after having some microwave popcorn at a friend's house -- that raging child returned. I actually witnessed my child having a drug reaction. (Of course I had seen that many times, but this time I was aware of what was happening.)

My main goal as a parent has been to provide a safe, supportive world where they can discover themselves and really be WHO THEY ARE. I see that despite all of my intentions and efforts, I have been innocently feeding my children food that literally changes their personalities. Talk about interfering with their efforts to "be themselves"!

Now, keeping them excitotoxin-free will be a priority. No matter how much work it takes, it is one of the greatest gifts I can give them.
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 7:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carole: You are a wonderful parent. And luckier than some to the extent that you were aware enough to discover how you can help your son. Now if we could only help many many more
Marcia
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 3:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really feel bad for all of you parents with at home children and trying to control their diets. It has got to be a big job since every where they go the food offered isn't good and laden with excitotoxins. If a child can see the difference it makes in their lives by excluding the "Bad stuff" then you will have a better chance of awareness on their part.
Carole
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 5:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since my kids are all preschoolers I have quite a bit of control over what they eat -- on the days we stay home. We do run into trouble when we go out and they eat what other people offer them. Now I always feed them before we leave the house and pack food for the trip -- including some MSG-free baked goods to share with others.

My oldest child starts kindergarten this fall so I know things will get a lot harder. But I'm hoping that by then I will be more confident in how to eat and what to feed my family. Also, that oldest son is quite self-aware so I think he will be able to make the connection between the food he eats and how he feels. I'm hoping he'll learn to make good food choices on his own -- at least some of the time. But yes, it will be hard.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page