Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hypoglycemia

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection » Hypoglycemia « Previous Next »

Carole
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had what seemed like an over-reaction to my children's demands at lunchtime today. When I described the whole scene to a friend, she asked if I had ever been tested for hypoglycemia. (My outburst came when I was feeling desperately hungry.) I remembered reading something about a connection with MSG sensitivity and hypoglycemia.

I normally eat what I think is a healthy diet -- lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains,homecooked beans, and not too much sugar. I do get confused about whether I need more or less protein in a day. I seem to need to eat often (can't go longer than 1.5 - 2 hours without food during the day).

Here are my questions:
Does anyone know where to get good information on how to eat if I suspect blood sugar problems?

If MSG is somewhat (or entirely!) responsible for my anger episodes, how long can I expect it to take to get relief from these mood swings? I've already had relief from the debilitating headaches. (I just began avoiding MSG in food during the past week.)

Thanks
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 4:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hypoglycemia seems to make people more susceptible to MSG. Below is the link to an article about hypoglycemia:

http://www.fred.net/slowup/hcauses.txt
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 12:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On hypoglycemia making people more susceptible to MSG:

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/humansatrisk.htm
Carole
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 12:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, Thanks for that link on hypoglycemia.

I think my troubles have to do with both sensitivity to MSG and with low blood sugar. It is interesting to find out that reactions to MSG can be stronger when blood sugar is down. That makes a lot of sense to me and would explain some of my own history.

So in addition to making a serious effort to avoid MSG, I am also learning more about how to keep my blood sugar steadier.

Thanks for your help! This is all so fascinating and encouraging!
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carole,

I think Carol H. explained the hypoglycemia link with MSG on this site the best, but it has to do with cell energy and available ATP -- read some of the posts on the CoQ10 section.
Carole
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
I read Carol H's message. I also went to the library and got Russell Blaylock's book, "Excitotoxins" and read almost every word of it last night. That explained the connection between MSG and hypoglycemia very well. It was very helpful information for me.

It was hard to read that book without getting scared about the damage that has already been done -- to me and especially to my children. But I'm looking forward to how much better I expect to feel when I can consistenly avoid MSG and also eat foods that support a more even blood sugar level.

I can't believe how helpful all of this is!

Another thing -- I often visit and sing with some people at a local nursing home. I am horrified at the thought of what these people are being given to eat every day! Many of them have Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. I have a reasonably friendly relationship with the nursing home's doctor, but I'm not sure how to bring this up without sounding alarmist or without offending him. ("Hey doc, I got this info on the internet....")

Perhaps I should wait until I have had more experience with this whole MSG thing myself. But I love these people! I think their food might be really harming them!

Any ideas on how to broach the subject?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 5:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you could suggest that MSG could play a role in Alzheimers and other conditions, and that it might help to keep it out of some of the patients' food for a time and see if it slows down their decline any. You could also print out and give articles on the subject. Here's one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9341569&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been on a program designed by richard and rachael heller that has eliminated my hypoglyemia. the book i started with is "healthy for life". they have written many others including "the carbohydrate addict's lifespan program." these two books have helped me so much and i am so grateful there are people out there like them that get to the cause of the problem. i can't believe now that i do not need to eat snacks and i feel full and satisfied, not having to worry about what i will eat next and not having any energy. they also advocate eliminating msg from your diet. i found this has helped tremendously and have purchased debbie's book and have found this to be a lifesaver.
Marcia
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 4:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know for a fact that many homes/institutions that take in children with behavorial/homeless problems use food products given to them from grocery stores. These products are often loaded with many flavor enhancers and etc. The very things that could be causing their problems are in abundance given in the food from morning until night. These places have small budgets and the caretakers find it necessary to buy cheap, easy to prepare, food stuffs. It saddens me to see what they also feed people in nursing homes. I've been envolved in both situations and it is very sad. I pray that I never have to go to a nursing home. I sure wouldn't last very long. No one would hurt these people on purpose but most are just not informed of the damage that could be happening.
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 11:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marcia: I couldn't agree more about praying never to go to a nursing home. In fact, I'm afraid of hospitals just as much. My search for a doctor isn't to find a cure, for there probably isn't anything but abstinence from excitotoxins that will keep me symptom free. Instead, I just want a doctor to have one file, for use in a hospital or institution, just what I can or cannot ingest or have injected into me, and how that information can be linked to a Medic-Alert bracelet. Probably just a phone number where that information will be available 24/7. I suspect if I make my own 'rules' that institutional personnel won't understand and won't comply with my wishes!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page