Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Olive Garden experience

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Restaurants - Good and Bad » Olive Garden experience « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 6:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we ordered the Tour of Italy at the Olive Garden and I had them substitute eggplant for the chicken in the Parmigiana entree. I did fine, as I mentioned, but the day later, my husband, who had the chicken, began to have the terrible upper stomach pressure/pain and nausea like he had experienced last year at Thanksgiving at my mom's place. Back then, we ended up in the hospital, and they couldn't find a thing wrong...that's when we realized that he had eaten too much of the "bad" MSG injected turkey and a lot of forbidden, too-tempting food brought by others to the feast. This time, I gave him baking soda, Tri-salts, and some Benedryl. He had ended up vomiting for 3 hours last year, but didn't at all this time. He has a headache and has for 2 days but is so much better. He NEVER gets a headache. Just thought it might be good to post this info under this topic. Next time, he will avoid chicken and chocolate, and chunks of romano appetizers!
Melissa
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chick-fil-A seems to be "okay" but I know the ketchup and sauces probably have msg. In small quantities it doens't bother me at all, but it may bother someone else, so just don't get the sauces - eat the stuff plain.

and the Macaroni Grill and Chili's also are pretty "safe". My sister worked at Chili's and they tell their employees they do NOT use any msg - and I can attest that I've never gotten msg after eating there on numerous occasions. I don't fully trust them - because I know it can be hidden. Macaroni Grill, is pretty safe, but avoid the cream sauces - I don't think they realize there is msg in the cream. If you are an extremely sensitive person to msg and more - you probably would want to research it more, but if you have moderate to mild sensitivities, these are some of the very few restaurants my husband and I can tolerate. We don't eat out much because almost all restaurants are "bad". but we have figured out a few dishes at a few different restaurants that are "ok" for us -
Red Lobster: we order the fried shimp dinner, baked potato or french fries, and no dressing on the salad. We also eat the biscuits without problem.
Taco Cabana - the Chicken Flameante dinner with barracho beans and rice. We pick the skin off, since it has the seasoning on it, and the chicken underneath is fine. No guacamole, no refried beans, no hot sauce or pico de gallo. we do eat the pickled jalapeno slices. the chips and queso seem to be ok for us, oddly - you would think the queso is bad, but maybe we don't eat enough of it to effect us. Plain cheese quesadillas seem to be ok for us, and my niece loves them too, and doesn't have any problems after eating them. She is 5. She is sensitive also, so we try to help her mom figure out what is ok for her to eat. It's truly hard with little ones.
Hope this may help someone out there - I realize someone who is EXTREMELY sensitive still may not be able to eat some of these things, but it's worth researching so maybe you won't be soooo limited on what to eat.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 12:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am lucky and not sulfite sensitive, so seafood is my safest bet eating out. It really is the freshest food you can get at a restaurant. Shrimp tastes best when it is cooked for a short time. Shrimp cocktail usually is the plainest way to get it. Oysters and clams taste best when very little is done to them. (I know it's bad, but I still love them raw). I ask for lobster steamed, as opposed to boiled. I ask for extra lemons, and if I'm brave I get some french fries and squeeze lemon juice on them. Add a plain salad with olive oil, (I'll put lemon on that too, and even in my water), and I'm all set.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page