Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Casein?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Casein? « Previous Next »

Sensitive
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 5:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a direct marketing company - NEWAYS where I get my facial cleansers, cosmetics, toothpaste and mouthwash.
They just "improved" their toothpaste. Here is the information that the distributor shared about the new fluoride product.

"The New has Casein...it's a fluoride alternative that is SAFER for maintaining healthy Teeth. Casein is a natural protein found in milk that works along with calcium glycerophosphate to remineralize tooth enamel. Most importantly there is no danger of ingesting too much casein as can occurs with fluoride."

They mean well but I was assuming that I shouldn't risk it. It's a highly processed milk protein. I wondered if anyone has any experience with this or if it is the same as the Sodium and Calcium caseinate ingredients. Can you help?
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sensitive, Your hunch is right. I would advise against a product that contains hydrolyzed milk protein. It always contains free glutamic acid and is used extensively to bulk up cold cuts. I use baking soda to brush my teeth, and now my husband does and prefers it to toothpaste, even though he is less sensitive than I am. We put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle a little on a wet brush. We notice our teeth are smooth and not full of plaque in the morning. On occasion, I use Homeodent (in health food stores and made in France..a licorice taste, and a tiny amount goes a long way, since it is pricey). Some people say they can handle Tom's of Maine toothpaste, though it contains carrageenan (hydrolyzed seaweed).
Adam
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom's of Maine makes me sick-and gives me sores in my mouth , probably due to brushing the msg from the carrageenan right into my tongue. Baking Soda is your best bet. Sodium caseinate is loaded with msg-Cremora and the like make me sick as a dog-first giving me an adrenaline rush, then leaving me in a horrid mood. Steer clear of casein and caseinate-in non dairy creamers, and anything that is supposedly "creamy", cheese products (etc.).
Carole
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 9:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if MSG passes through breast milk?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 8:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would assume that anything ingested by the mother can get into the breast milk, and eat according.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page