Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Sudden Infant Death Syndrome « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter called yesterday and told me her friend had just told her that she heard on the news that experts are no longer thinking that placing a baby on it's tummy to sleep has any relation to SIDS. They are now suspicious of baby formula....one of the most highly concentrated sources of free glutamic acid. Think about it...babies' blood brain barriers aren't even formed yet. My own father-in-law's throat closes off if he gets MSG..what is it doing to our most innocent victims?...before and after birth? The FDA, if you check any comments they are asked to make about MSG, will always say it is safe, and the amounts most of us get are okay. But usually toward the end of the article, they will add that pregnant or lactating women, children and the elderly should avoid MSG...that should signal anyone with a brain! And how can any of those on the high risk list avoid it in the first place if they don't even know it's hidden in everything!???
Exasperating!!!
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's terrible news but not hard to believe Deb A. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I was just read today that folks with kidney problems are warned to avoid MSG. Trouble is they don't explain that MSG is in almost everything and is known by different names!
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 5:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've wondered about MSG and SIDS. Our family is acutely affected by manufactured free glutamic acid and I believe it's behind our connective tissue problems. If the soft tissue in the baby's sinus/throat area is not in optimum condition---doesn't it figure that it could fall in upon itself cutting off air through the baby's air way.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 8:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting theory. Also, MSG interrupts normal breathing and heart rate, not to mention edema, tissue swelling, and also seizures(very common in MSG sensitive children).
Evelyn H.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a strange coincidence, but I was just thinking (during a long work-related business trip) about what might have been factors in my son's MSG intolerance (he's borderline ADD and has asthma problems). Knowing what I know now about baby formulas, I wonder how much of an impact the formula he ingested as a baby had on his MSG intolerance. I feel so guilty for opting to go with formula. At the time, of course, I didn't know MSG existed, but still, I basically fed him poison many times each day.
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think that ADHD is a result of genetics or because the child ingested formula with MSG?

My grandson is very hyper and has difficulty in school because of that problem. He just does not seem able to focus. His mom does not believe that MSG being eliminated, will help. Since I know MSG bothers me, I feel it wouldn't hurt to eliminate his MSG consumption.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 3:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,
It helps! My son was on the Feingold Diet for many years. It eliminates artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and salicylic acid (in many natural foods). In the process of eliminating so many things, we also did away with MSG, which was in all those same foods. His ability to focus was much improved just from watching his diet. His teacher was sure I was giving him Ritilan. I'm sure the hyperactivity and focusing disorder is helped by a better diet, as I saw it on a daily basis with my own son. It is so hard to convince some people that food can affect certain individuals in adverse ways, but it does. I remember a Phil Donahue show years ago about a boy who, when he would take one bite of a fresh tomato, would, within a minute or two, be totally out of control. The parents had it on video tape. The child was old enough to know that he couldn't help his behavior and wanted very much to change. Well, not only did that tomato have salicylic acid, but I now know, thanks to MSG Myth, that it is loaded with glutamates too!
Good luck with your grandson. At least when he's visiting you, he can eat healthy.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 5:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should have your daughter read the postings on our site about children. Check the menu at www.msgmyth.com and click on the topic that concerns children from ADD to asthma. There are several excellent testimonials there. I only breast fed my daughters for 3 to 6 months. I did not breast feed my son, the one in my story, at all. My last child, I nursed for almost 10 months. He is the least sensitive and seems to be the healthiest. My son to whom I gave formula from day one, and who by the way, couldn't keep any of them down (we had to finally order a special powder that when mixed with water was a clear liquid and was very expensive), has the most problems with MSG today. My oldest daughter was so colicky when I stopped breast feeding after a few months, and at 6 1/2 months, I finally gave up and gave her whole milk and cereal and ground up fresh cooked foods. She was better overnight. Up to that point, she vomited continually with the formula. She is very healthy and mainly gets stomach problems and foggy brain when she gets MSG. Is there any relationship? I don't know, but one thing is for sure, if I had to do it all over again, I would have nursed them all for 10 months. I babysat a 10 year old for 9 days for a friend several years ago. This kid had so many health problems...mainly asthma was the worst. So She gave me long directions of what medicine to give when and for what reactions. He ate only what we ate, and he was like a new kid. Never had a need for any meds, and his mother couldn't believe it when I told her. I tried to tell her why, but she was a busy working mom, and everything they ate was picked up on the way home from work or taken from freezer to oven.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 12:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous--I can't say with 100-percent certainty that my son's ADD-like symptoms aren't hereditary. I know he was colicky as a baby and never slept. At the time, I didn't suspect formula.

I also know that now that we are being more careful to avoid MSG, he has improved concentration abilities. Also, his asthma problems seem to have disappeared. He's only needed medication once in the past six months. Could be growing out of it, I suppose, but I don't plan to go back to our old style of eating to find out.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 6:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn H.,

Your son's improvement is no accident. Keep up the good work.
Beth E.
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone! It's been a couple months since I wrote anything here, but I've been regularly reading everything new that's been posted. I so appreciate everyone who takes the time to post here, and I was particularly intrigued by the above discussions. My son is the one who has had problems with hypoglycemia and began having left-side weakness, then seizures this winter. Today marks 7 weeks since he's had a seizure - all due to carefully watching his diet. I finally gave up on trying to find a cheese he can eat, and I think I'm going to have to cut tomatoes from his diet, too. Last night his behavior was noticably worse after dinner which included jambalaya with some tomato puree in it, plus a slice of tomato-basil bread (all the other bread ingredients checked out ok).

We have heard so many labels regarding our son over the years - ADHD, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Sensory Integrative Dysfunction, etc. But except for the SI Dysfunction, he never neatly fit into any category. Often I heard from teachers that he was able to pay attention better than many of the other non-ADD kids in his classes; and the criteria for the autism-spectrum label of PDD never exactly fit him either, but he often exhibited vague "autistic-like" behaviors. He was almost always hyperactive, though, and it is truly amazing to his father and I to watch him now in his calmed down, no-msg state. I am convinced that his brain was affected by several episodes of extreme low blood sugar as a baby and toddler (he was hospitalized 5 times for it), and although he was breastfed for 10 months, no doubt he still received plenty of MSG in my breastmilk. We are seeing so much maturation taking place very quickly right now. And, although he still has a long way to go to catch up with his peers (socially and in a few academic areas), we have the utmost optimism that without MSG in his diet, things will just continue to improve.

I have been spreading the word about the dangers of MSG and scribbling down web addresses for everyone who will listen to my son's story. And I know that my own small efforts have already helped at least a couple dozen people. Imagine this multiplied by the thousands of others who have found this site, and I think there is good reason to be optimistic about our future food supplies, too. A national backlash WILL occur - hopefully soon!
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 12:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go Beth!
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth E.,

Thanks for writing. Could you fill the rest of us in on your son's age, weight, height, etc. to see how he compares to other children his age?

The reason I ask is that the more info we can collect on the specifics of young children that are helped with MSG avoidance, the better we can convince the "bleeding heart non-believers" that MSG avoidance can help.

I hate to sound cruel, but many people won't listen to adults complaining about reactions. But those same people will jump at the possibility that MSG avoidance will help their children. What's worse after that is when they find out how difficult it is to cook foods safe for their children, they will dismiss MSG avoidance as a "harebrained theory" and return to their old food preparation habits and easy "drug" remedies.

We need to get peoples' attention. I remember postings made on the old NOMSG discussion board where there was so much desperation expressed by posters about the monetary incentives of the food industry that couldn't possibly be overcome by us sufferers.

I was thinking this afternoon about my employer. The company is Southwestern Bell Corporation (SBC) and like many large companies is a "self-insurer". That means that SBC pays the entire medical expenses and just hires an insurance carrier to process the paper work. Many large companies find it economical to operate this way. If we NOMSGers could coordinate a study of the employees of one of these large companies and show to them that Excitotoxin avoidance and proper diet & supplementation could increase employee health and subsequent attendance, I think this might give us an edge against the major food processors. Imagine pitting these large corporations against each other. I'll bet a large amount of the funds that helped support the various tobacco lawsuits came from those industries that were suffering the exorbitant health care costs for their employees.

I'm sorry -- I ramble on. Please give us more info about your son so we can build a case. Have you considered CoQ10 for him?
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth,
I think it would be a good idea to send your story
to http://www.checnet.org/. They are going to
Washington and before congress with children's
issues about chemicals and how they effect them.
Beth E.
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 7:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Tom, Marcia and anonymous for your replies. My son is 10 years old, 4'8", and about 60 pounds. He has always been way down on the weight charts, and it was a constant worry for many years to be sure he ate enough food to keep his blood sugar up. He was a child who almost never asked for food. We were forever guessing when he was likely to go low and coaxing him to eat. And when we failed to notice and his blood sugar dropped, it would be impossible to explain that he would feel better if he would just EAT! This may sound like it was a battle between a strong-willed child and parents who tried too hard to control his eating, but we approached it as nonchalantly as possible. Because so many of the UNDERsensitive Sensory Integration Dysfunction behaviors fit my son, it's been my theory that his brain for many years did not register hunger appropriately. Thus, his brain was frequently starved for glucose, the protective calcium channel blockers failed, and his neurons were blasted with excess glutamate. Thank goodness he is finally registering hunger!

Although he's never had a healthy appetite, he has always loved healthy foods. Consequently, this change in food preparations in our household has not been a problem for him -just a lot more work for me!

Tom, because of the postings everyone has made here, I started giving him CoQ10 about a month ago. I purchased the 50 mg. capsules at Sam's Club and I squeeze one onto his toast every morning. Don't know if that's the optimum dose, but I truly believe his brain is functioning better these days.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 1:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth E,

The hypothalamus is the part of the brain that registers hunger. It is no coincidence that the part of the brain most easily affected and damaged by excess glutamate would cause trouble in your young son regarding his hunger response.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 1:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

If someone can give me a hint where to find a copy of the Feingold diet on the Internet, I would be very grateful.

Beth E,

It sounds like I should give COQ-10 a try for
my ten year old grandson. He will try anything he just wants to focus and have friends.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 2:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re the Feingold diet, I have yet to check it out but here is the web site: http://www.feingold.org/program.shtml
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 5:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth E.,

Have you tried giving your son taurine supplements? The article below says that taurine works for seizures in pets, so maybe it will help people with seizure conditions, also (in an appropriate dose):

http://www.harlmen.com/DynaTaurine.asp
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beth E.,

I should add that the article linked above recommends that supplements of Taurine and Coenzyme Q-10 be taken in combination for the most control over the frequency and severity of seizures. Both are readily available in vitamin and health food stores, plus other sources mentioned on this web site.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page