Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Rosacea, Skin Problems, Hives

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Helpful Remedies or Ways to Diminish Symptoms » Rosacea, Skin Problems, Hives « Previous Next »

Autumn
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote in months ago, after having taken gelatine for better nails. I had a horrible experience with hives as you may recall. Just an update to let you all know that I switched detergents to a natural brand, as well as bars of soap. The hives are completely gone, but I still was having difficulty with skin breakouts and rosacea. I have always had sensitive skin, but for some reason, while taking the gelatine my breakouts had stopped. I began to make the connection that my body might be lacking in the area of protein or fatty acids. On other sites, I found info on taking flaxseed oil. People testified that taking it for autoimmune diseases, arthritis, etc., often resulted in their facial complexion completely clearing. It is working, believe me. I guess I was missing the EFA's and my body was reacting to this. Hope any of you having trouble battling this will give it a try. It is called Barlean's and is not cold pressed. It is refrigerated and only last a few months. 8 ounces about $9.00, not for cooking but for adding to salads, yogurt, topping something, etc. Good luck.
DJ
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 12:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Autumn,

I also have the same problem that you do, Rosacea and hives and such.

I have said so many times that Rosacea is just another serious side effect of MSG overkill, posted it on the Rosacea boards as well, but no one is listening...

Thanks for the tip, I will see about purchasing Barleans and giving it a try.

DJ
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 12:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been eating ground flax seed with fruit and other foods because I thought it would make up for the good oils I am missing from not eating fish (and it tastes darn good).

BUT, I bounced this off of some folks at the discussion board located at the Food Can Make You Ill web site (http://www.foodcanmakeyouill.co.uk --- click on “meeting others”) and I was warned not to use flax seed because it contains Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA) which interferes with “good eicosanoids”. It was suggested as an alternative to use oils that are low in ALA and saturated fats while high in linoleic acid (LA) and monosaturated fats. In place of flax seed, safflower (“by far the best”), almond, hazelnut, sunflower and olive were suggested. (I still don’t understand if the these oils are sufficient to replace fish. I already use plenty of extra virgin olive oil.)

(For more info, you may want to visit do search on “Substitutes for Fish” at the FCMYI site and read the book, "Protein Power" by Drs. Michael and Mary Eades.

If anyone has more information to share on flax seed and oils, please post or Email me. Thanks!
Autumn
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I did go to the site, but find Dr. Weil's site much more informative and easier. At the top of the page it lists Ask Dr. Weil. Type in Flax Oil and a whole list of discussions come up on oils. He does not recommend Canola Oil at all, is very up on Flax Oil, or grounded flax seed, and states that these are the sources of Omega 3's other than eating cold-water fish like sardines, cod, etc. I think he listed mackeral too, but read it. He is about the best adviser I know of. He states that after taking flax many people will have their acne totally clear as well, and that is what happened to me. I know that neither my husband or I would eat sardines, and though we live in CA, we don't eat Cod enough. So I think I'll stay with the Flax Oil. Health stores have rave reviews in the way of article, etc. Good Luck
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Autumn,

They mention flax oil at the site linked below:

http://www.egroups.com/group/eczemapsoriasis
Autumn
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 8:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, What a great site that is!! It was very helpful, especially about being careful that oil does not go rancid, and on freezing it.
Tracy
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

I bought some of the flaxseed(seeds not the oil) but am not sure how much to take. How much do you take on a daily basis?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 7:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracy,

I don't take flax seed, but was just passing on a web site about it. Flax seeds make wonderful bread - moist and delicious! Here's a web site with a recipe. Maybe Deb A. has some suggestions on adapting it to minimize glutamate content.

http://info.med.yale.edu/yfp/livingwell/nutrition/GC12_99.html
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 11:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I grind my organic flax seed in an electric coffee grinder and keep it in a small jar to use during the week. I use it in various ways -- for example:

1. I toast some plain Italian bread that I know is safe and smear 1 tablespoon of safe yogurt on it and sprinkle the ground flax seed on top. (Sounds and looks odd but I love the way it taste.)

2. I mix the ground flax seed it with a whole egg and scramble it.

3. I sprinkle the ground flax seed on my fresh salad after adding lemon and extra virgin olive oil or cooked vegies.

4. I roll fresh fruit in it.

Make certain you don't buy rancid flax seed --- do a sniff test!
Carole
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 9:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A common breakfast for me is grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, amaranth -- or some mixture of these) sprinkled with flax seeds and a little flax oil. My kids even like it!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We buy Arrowhead Mills sweetened rice flakes and often eat them for breakfast. We just sprinkle a teaspoon of flax seeds or so on the cereal before we add milk. We have also used them in casseroles before.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page