Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sugar

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Sugar « Previous Next »

Marcia
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 7:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About three weeks ago I decided to see what would happen if I took sugar out of my diet. I did and the results have been more than positive. I am far less sensitive to "free Glutamates" and my energy level has much improved.
karen marrow
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 8:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have recently made the connection between blood sugar and msg. since then i have eliminated msg and hidden sources of msg. from my diet. i am now becoming aware of foods that naturally contain high amounts of free glutamates. the foods i remember are tomatoes, cabbage, and mushrooms. can you tell me the other foods that are high in free glutamates?
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 11:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen Marrow,

From www.msgfacts.com, foods high in free glutamates are corn, oysters, tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, peas, grape juice, fresh tomato juice, walnuts, soy sauce, parmesan and Roquefort cheese. Potato is towards the beginning of the list and is not as high as corn. Try the website for the mg. of free glutamates in each food. If your main problem is headaches, you may have to start looking at tyramine content in foods such as bananas, avocados, spinach, etc. Also left-overs have a higher tyramine content.
karen marrow
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ruth, thank you so much! this is very helpful.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 2:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are very welcome, Karen. Does anyone know what might be in onions that are giving me headaches. I haven't found them on the glutamate or tyramine list. Could it be AuxiGro? I'll have to look for some organic onions, if there is such a thing. Never had a problem with onions before.
Thanks.
Adam
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOLD ON!!!!!!!
www.msgfacts.com should be called
www.msglies.com
It is run by the Glutamate Asociation . They state that msg is safe for ALL-right on this site. Please beware and take this and take the info provided on this propoganda site for what it is.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad they don't have a posting board on their intentionally misleading site. We could all tell them a thing or two! For those who may not be aware, the Glutamate Association is a lobby group paid by the food industry and the glutamate producers to promote their product and make the public believe that it is safe. They have only one agenda...making money and protecting their products. They blur the lines between safe naturally occurring glutamate and the manmade version, saying they are identical. But MSG contains d-glutamic acid, pyroglutamic acid, carcinogens, and contaminants. D-glutamic acid is never found in nature and foods like milk, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 5:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth:

Yes, it could be Auxigro in the onions. I am now having MSG symptoms from onions including organic onions.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth--I, too, have had reactions to regular onions. I purchased some organic red onions and did OK with those. My guess it's something used to preserve the onions during shipping, but it could be Auxigrow.
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 9:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think they are allowed to spray organic produce with AuxiGro, but who knows. I will try to find out just what they do use during the growing and shipping process. I'm wondering if it's something in the acid of the onion. Anyone know how high it is in natural glutamates? It's not on any chart that I have found.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 6:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Onion sensitivity --- Besides the possible Auxi-Gro problem, did you try observing reactions to foods high in sulfur and foods with sulfites added? For example, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are high in sulfur.
If you want to compare the level of glutamic acid in onions to other vegies, try this site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 8:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this site for partial list of foods with sulfites: http://www.skyisland.com/OnlineResources/forums/default.html
Connie
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 4:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, remember that onions belong to the nightshade family and many allergic people have allergies to some or all of that group (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes all belong to this family).
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 2:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Connie.

I do react to eggplant and tomatoes. I think I'm O.K. with potatoes. I eat a slice or two of yellow or red pepper once in a while and I'm fine. What about garlic. It seems so similar to onions. I've tried a search on the web for nightshade but didn't learn much from it. Never did find a list of foods, so this is very helpful.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 3:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Onions are in the Alliaceae vegetable famly along with garlic, leeks, and shallots.
The Solanaceae vegetable family ("nightshade" or potato family) includes eggplants, peppers, potatoes and tomatoes -- Onions are not listed. Here is one site that may help: http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/vegfam.htm
Carole
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 10:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what family corn is in? I've been avoiding processed corn products, but yesterday I tried some fresh organic corn. I had a reaction, although the reaction was different from my MSG reactions. I got a sore throat and intestinal gas, fatigue and mild headache (but different and much less debilitating than the MSG-induced migraines). There were some other things in the meal also -- onions and a few barely-cooked organic tomatoes. I'm learning that foods from the tomato and onion family are not good for me, but I also have a bad feeling about that corn. My question: are there other foods related to corn that might also be a problem for me? (Again, this doesn't feel like a glutamate problem, but a different kind of sensitivity.)
CarolH
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 8:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carole, see discussions on this board related to corn and CoQ10. There are a number of reasons why corn would excacerbate an MSG reaction. I would recommend MSG sensitive persons limit corn intake.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page