Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG Indicators?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » MSG Indicators? « Previous Next »

Mike & Ryne
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

My friend and I have started a project for an independent study class in our High School. Our plan is to prove that chinese buffets, as well as other buffets or restaurants, serve food with excessive amounts oif MSG to fill up their customers faster. In order to prove this, we were wondering if there are any chemical detectors to check for the presence of MSG. Or any other ideas for proving that hypothesis.

If anyone knows, any help would be greatly appreciated. E-mail us at chump213@hotmail.com, chocobo2000@juno.com or just post a reply. We'll check back soon.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 1:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike & Ryne,

The article below says that glutamate directly affects the satiety & feeding centers of the brain:

http://www.americanpeptide.com/references/orexin/orexin13.html
amh
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 2:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

My son has been suffering from migraine headaches. His doctor told him it is a result of "TMJ" I think temple mandible jaw. Could the TMJ be caused by MSG? I know that the migraine headaches can be caused by MSG. Thank you for your help.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 3:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

amh,

MSG reactions seem to mimic many conditions, per the following post:

America Online
Subj: MSG
Date: 96-05-29 12:41:33 EDT

We were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (and all its associated names), MS,
Chrohn's Disease, IBS, Diverticutilits, Migraines, TMJ(wore bite guards for
years), Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (some had surgery and some wore braces for
years), colitis , gastoenteritis, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, asthma (with
inhalers), chostrochondritis, heart "murmur," chronic bronchitis, atopic
dermatitis, dishydrosis, Adult ADD, rhematoid arthritis, Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome, chronic ear infections, vertigo, myofascial pain syndrome, sleep
disorders, edema, anxiety/panic attacks,depression, incontinence (bladder and
bowel), eating disorders, and auditory processing dysfunction to name a few.
By now you are thinking...this person is crazy...well after all the realted
medical problems suffered that could be possible, however, we no longer have
any of them as long as we avoid msg

source:
http://www.holisticmed.com/msg/msg.txt
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 8:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

amh, MSG is an excitatory neurotransmitter. Consequently, its effect on nerves can be dramatic. This could include nerves controlling the muscles of the jaw and other areas of the body. We hear from people who report various areas of tightening of the muscles, such as in the back, which has caused misalignment of the vertebrae, and back pain. We hear about seizures, tremors, muscle weakness or tension, ticks, and other related issues caused by MSG.
Mike & Ryne
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None of those are indicators. Help us out here.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 2:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike and Ryne, you'll have to go on the assumption that restaurants want the customers to not detect off flavors in food that's been sitting around. You can't just test a food for MSG content. The best way to test for MSG use at buffets is to actually ask the kitchen staff. However, I don't think your hypothesis of the customers filling up faster is correct due to the effect MSG has on insulin levels. MSG increases insulin levels - increasing hunger, not decreasing it. MSG makes food taste better, and makes people want to want to eat more, and sooner. Restaurant owners use MSG to make food taste so good the diner does not realize inferior ingredients were used or sitting around. It saves the restaurant owner money because they can get away with adding less meat to dishes. That's where they make the money, by not spending it. Think about this - on the survivor show, I heard two of the survivors mention that one of the things they missed most were Doritoes - which are absolutely loaded with MSG. MSG is used in extreme amounts in processed packaged foods, even more so than in restaurants. If it just filled you up, there would be no money in it. It is used in these foods because you'll pork out on them, and then rush out to buy more, and in a bigger package too. Perhaps you should work on that angle instead. Sometimes it doesn't work when you try to match the data to the hypothesis. Sometimes the hypothesis needs rethinking, and sometimes the whole experiment needs a redesign.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know in my case, before I made the MSG connection to my health problems, when I ate at restaurants, I would begin to feel full half way through the meal or sooner, due to my body's response to the MSG in the salad dressing, croutons, and soup, not to mention my beverage. I'd feel pressure in my stomach and there would be bloating there...sometimes a little nausea. But since portions were always too big anyway, I doubt they were trying to fill me up just so that they could throw away my unfinished meal.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I too was wondering. I thought that I had read in my MSG materials either from Deb or from Dr. Blaylock or Dr. Schwartz that MSG makes one feel full faster. Just haven't had a chance to find my source. I used to always say to my parents how I was starving for dinner. I had eaten not too long before, so it wasn't like I hadn't eaten all day. Within a few bites, I mean literally a few bites, I was full. Now, since MSG free, I get what I now feel is appropriately full. We never understood this. Could anyone shed more light?
Vicki K.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 8:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the msg reaction in our stomaches, the bloating makes you feel full. Then the msg reacts and you want more. I am convinced that msg is addictive, I have friends I know are allergic to msg, they have the SAME reactions, but won't give up the food, they said they will bare the consequences. If they could just realize how much better they would feel, they would stop right away. When I got off msg, I finally felt normal when I would eat and would get adequately full, but did not have the over ate feeling I had always had before. I do remember craving alot of foods, I don't crave very much at all now.

Do you all remember when Coca Cola used "Cocaine" in their sodas when it first came out? Then they realized how addictive it was and how bad it was and made the company stop using it. It sounds like that is what is going to have to happen with msg. I just hope we are still around to see it.

Also, had some strawberries the other day, I am pretty sure that was the case of my msg reaction. Do you think they were sprayed with msg? I had heard they were going to start doing that.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 7:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki,

You might want to read the site below regarding spraying of crops with MSG:

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page