Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Crawfish

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Crawfish « Previous Next »

Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 7:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering whether or not anyone has ever had a reaction to farm raised crawfish? I already did a keyword search here without luck. On Saturday evening, my husband made crawfish cakes. We used usual other ingredients and also Old Bay seasoning, which I had thought was "safe" and, upon looking at the ingredients again seems o.k. The label does actually say "spices" but seems to list them all. I had an awful spell yesterday. Wanted to ask this question then, but I hadn't enough energy.

I truly do hope you are alright Ruth.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine,
I have no problem with the Old Bay seasoning, which I use on organic potato French fries. Maybe there is something in there that disagrees with you. The only safe, farm raised food I have found so far at my Whole Foods Market is Contessa brand frozen shrimp. Never have a problem with it. They use only salt and freeze it right away. My usual reaction from almost every food is headache. Have you checked with the farm that raised the crawfish? If they were fresh and not frozen, maybe they put sulfites on them, or maybe they were just not fresh enough. Foods that aren't real fresh contain more tyramine, which also causes problems (a rise in blood pressure which can cause headaches). Or maybe it was the Old Bay. Sure sorry you had a reaction.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been told that the feed given to some farm raised fish is high in soy. Whether this could be a problem, I have no idea. I would suspect sulfites or phosphates might be added at a processing plant or sometimes chloride is added to the rinse water just before freezing. If the Old Bay lists all the herbs used, why does it have to add the word, "spices". It's best to call and ask for a clear explanation of the word, "spices". Hope you feel better real soon, Christine.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 8:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a discussion thread regarding Old Bay Seasoning, from another site:

http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNews/get/archive_swap4901-5000/4939.html

You can visit the company's site here. Based on their MSG-laden product line and the fact that MSG used to be listed on the Old Bay label, I wouldn't trust them on the "spices".

http://cpd.mccormick.com/mc/prd/prflvrb.cfm?pl=9

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page