Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dr. Bronner's soaps as shampoo

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Dr. Bronner's soaps as shampoo « Previous Next »

Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Several times I have tried using Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap for shampoo, diluted with a little water and diluted with a lot of water. Either way it leaves my hair worse off than if I'd used straight water. My hair gets very tangled and seems like there's alot of residue on it. It doesn't get that slick feeling as with regular shampoo (whether or not I use salon type like Paul Mitchell or Healthy Times baby shampoo from Whole Foods, etc.). I've even tried a little bit of jojoba oil but this tends to make my hair greasy even with just a bit. I've even tried Granny's Old Fashioned shampoo and conditioner. It too leaves my hair funky, for lack of a better way to describe it. For those who have tried or still use Dr. Bronner's, I would so appreciate any suggestions about how to better use it as shampoo. Also, what do you use for conditioner? I've tried vinegar (both white and apple cider) but this leaves my hair with a strong odor. Thanks for your help.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 1:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soap leaves a residue. Just think of a bathtub ring. Detergents, used in shampoos, don't.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 8:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try some of the milder shampoos that are formulated for color treated hair even if you don't color your hair. They tend to be quite a bit milder. Acids strip color, so these may have fewer harsh chemicals added..I do okay with the L'Oreal Vive shampoo for color treated hair. I occasionally will use the Vive conditioner for color treated hair. I also seem to do better with dandruff shampoos, like Head and Shoulders, and Clairol Herbal Essence Dandruff. I rotate the three of them. Dr. Bronner's is okay for some hair types, and for shorter hair. It leaves longer hair stringy, I've heard.
Laurie M
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 8:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nature's Gate makes several excellent conditioners that don't even use citric acid. All natural ingredients etc. They use herbs to make them smell really good. They make a shampoo i am going to try. I typically use hypoallergenic baby shampoo.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both Deb A. and Laurie M. I will look into both of your suggestions. It's terrible when something a seemingly simple as shampoo can cause one so many issues. Sincerely, Christine
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're sure welcome, Christine. We all struggle with products, today. We are all so chemically sensitive. Jack Samuels describes us as the "canaries in the coal mines". It's time people begin to worry more about our chemically contaminated world.
With all the nice spring weather, I thought that the postings and e mail inquiries would be slowing down..they usually do this time of year. But they aren't and that tells me the word is really spreading. Yesterday, we had 4 MSG related phone calls, and 6 e mail inquiries, at least. Mike and I are trying to get the garden ready and the garage cleaned up, but it's a slow process this year. They just announced that water will be low for watering all summer, and flower and vegetable gardens may suffer. That's not good news for people like us who depend on our own organic produce to feel healthy. :(
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 10:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine--I found a Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner that I use. It seems to work well and doesn't have MSG (that I can see on the label). Also, there's a Web site called Aubrey Organics that sells organic cosmetics, hair care products, etc. I haven't ordered anything but they do list the ingredients on the Web.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any other ingredients to look for beside citric acid?

I have been struggling with shampoos for a few years.s I have been using Clairol-herbal essence and it has citric acid. I think it is the marigold-calendula that makes it work, but still not the greatest product. I will try the color treated shampoos and clairol dandruff.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 3:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley,

Some shampoos contain hydrolyzed proteins, which contain MSG.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_333.html

Also, I don't know if anyone else reacts to it, but dimethicone is sometimes added to shampoos as a conditioner. It conditions my hair, but after a couple uses makes it fall out. I have found jojoba to do the opposite for me.
shirley
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I just got a shampoo that was for dyed hair so it will be more gentle. Even though it came out great, my front part of the scalp was stinging for about ten minutes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page