Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Soft Drinks

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Soft Drinks « Previous Next »

Wendy
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about Softdrinks? Pepsi, Coke or Sprite? Are they safe?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wendy. It's a very good question, and one asked by many people who have just made the MSG connection. Most soft drinks are loaded with glutamate, preservatives, caffeine, artificial dyes, flavors, and aspartame, if sugar free. If not sugar free, they are sweetened with corn syrups, which are high in sulfites and glutamate. Granted, some are more "loaded" with these additives than others, but carbonated water is not great for anyone, either. It interferes with calcium absorption, as I recall. It's best to make fresh lemonade, fruit frappes, and your own concoctions for beverages. Best yet: water. We slice fresh lemons and add to our glasses. We squeeze lots of lemons at once, and fill pint jars half full and freeze. To use, I take out and use up in a week's time for drinks, marinades, dressing, cooking, etc. We also freeze carrot juice this way. It's great made with apples and lemons added, too. In the summer, we puree frozen strawberries, pineapple, any frozen fruit with water and a little lemon juice. Sweeten to taste. It's so good. If you like ginger ale, simmer some peeled fresh ginger slices in water for a few minutes and let steep. Add sugar. Keep in the fridge and add syrup to cold water or other fruit drinks. It's tasty and full of antioxidants. For a hot drink, I heat a cup of plain Rice Dream rice milk, and add nutmeg, cinnamon, and a little clove or allspice, and honey to taste. It's good with organic whole milk, if you do alright with milk. For the hot summer months, I fill a liter and 2 liter bottle 2/3 with water and freeze each night. I fill one up with water each morning and take it everywhere I go. The second is backup and great for traveling or when I have to be away from the house all day. After awhile you won't miss soft drinks. Most people drink cola drinks for the caffeine anyway, even though they say otherwise, and diet drinks to lose weight, which is ridiculous. Sugary sweet drinks may be appealing, but they don't do much to quench real thirst. The sugar and chemicals only serve to make you depend on more soft drinks to stay awake. They are truly addicting beverages. Some here have done alright with Santa Cruz organic soft drinks, and some react to them. It's a matter of degree of sensitivity.
Elizabeth J. Morrow
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 7:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an overload of MSG from eating in the snack bar in my office building. They used it heavily on everything and were not truthful when I asked them to identify the items that didn't have it. I had been consuming large amounts for about a year and a half, so when I quit, it didn't leave my system. I took the herb Chaparral, which seems to have strong cleansing powers of the lymph system and the cells. I started on Sunday, took six capsules per day and this is Tuesday. I got worse the first four hours, then just improvement since then. My hives and rash are finally leaving. Also I took benadryl for the severe itching every four hours. Msgmyth has certainly been a lifesaver for me. I hope this helps someone else.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Elizabeth. Thanks for posting your experience. Please be careful about gelatin capsules. They are high in glutamate. They have caused me to itch terribly, so maybe the herb could be removed before taking???? Where can one find the herb, Chaparral?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 5:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

I personally wouldn't use Chaparral:

http://www.clubcyrus.com/vitabytes/article2.html
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 9:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the excellent sleuthing, once more, Roy!
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Elizabeth: Most msg reactions, even if severe, will subside in about 5 days, so I doubt the Chaparral was a help. The most help came from the Benadryl (diphenhydramine)which is known to counteract the histamine released by cells effected by msg.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page