Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Is there a safe multimineral out there?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Is there a safe multimineral out there? « Previous Next »

D M T
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 10:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been taking a product by Solaray called Multi Mineral Asporotates which is a bunch of minerals that have been combined with aspartic acid, citric acid and delactosed whey protein concentrate. I was specifically looking for chelated minerals because I don't absorb the non-chelated ones very well.

After some of the comments made in other threads I wonder if this is really safe for me to be taking? I'm pretty careful about avoiding MSG. About the only processed foods I buy are hamburger (ground by the butcher as I watch), oil and dairy.

Someone said all gelatin contains MSG. Does this include gelatin or vegetarian gelatin capsules? What other options are available? Sometimes I have to take stuff that I REALLY don't want to taste so I put it in an empty gelatin capsule.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 5:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D M T,

After spotting aspartic acid or whey protein concentrate on a label, let alone the other ingredients mentioned, I would have put the product back on the shelf without reading any further.

Here's the web site of the company that makes Solaray and nine other brands of supplements. I would expect all ten to use the same additives.

http://www.nutraceutical.com/index.cfm
Marcia
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 4:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should any one be taking gelatin in any form due to mad cow disease? Where is gelatin made? I also just heard someone on CNN/SpinRoom say we should stay away from glandular products as supplements. Just sharing.....
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tip: For more information, check out "vitamins" and "gelatin" using the KEYWORD SEARCH feature. (See left side under UTILITIES.)
Laurie M
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help,
My husband and I want to have a baby. I went to our nurse practioner and she said that my diet was good and I didn't really need extra fiolic acid (as i get a lot already) but she did recommend a powder multivitamin? that she thought was probably safe for my allergies and would help during pregnancy. Can you guys look at the ingredients and tell me if you have any qualms about me taking this stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is called Pure Synergy and here is the web site:
http://www.synergy-co.com/puresynergy.html
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 9:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie,

The algae, particularly the kombu, could be a source of trouble:

http://allrecipes.com/encyc/terms/M/7502.asp
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of a safe acidophilus to take? I have taken a lot of antibiotics which is probably why I am very sensitive right now. Also I have tried "Migra Plex". When I use them I can eat tomatoes without experiencing the joint aches. Are they safe?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 9:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no info regarding safe acidophilus. But I would caution against gelc caps that usually used to contain it (or any suspect fillers). Most people report that it did little to help them. Some said they did better eating 2 T. of plain yoghurt a day for 3 or 4 days, after they took antibiotics.
I have heard MigraPlex mentioned. Where can it be purchased and what are the ingredients?
Don Campbell
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 12:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My God.
Donna B.
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having trouble finding calcium I can take. I ordered the powder from Beyond-A-Century after talking to Deb. I didn't realize it was Calcium Citrate. They don't seem to carry the one with Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium anymore. When I talk to them on the phone they say their calcium doesn't have fillers. They have another one which contains ascorbic acid?? I am searching health food stores but am a little confused on which is safe.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna B.- "Calcium Citrate-Malate" is one of the ingredients in my Detox formula that I took for the last 3 weeks. I had NO reaction to it what so ever. However, I am extremely sensitive to Sodium Citrate and it affects me just like msg.
Carol H. What do you think?
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 7:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium (Tri Salts)-available from Ecological Formulas (800) 888-4585.
Donna B.
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 8:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I think that was what Deb said but I must have misunderstood because I thought it was from Beyond-a-Century.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 1:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hit Last Week and view discussions starting around mid-October under Hypoglycemia. I think Deb A. says more there. I'd like to hear more about Deb's experiences too.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 4:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My experiences concerning what, exactly?
I have been out of town for a few days.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A - Deb A - Sorry for not being clear. This is a long post -- hope you don't mind. Since my last post earlier today, I've went back & rev'd all calcium references here. (That keyword search feature here is great!). I too am looking for “safe” calcium supplements to prevent osteoporsis – without any fillers & additives. From my review, here is my summary that I hope helps others and doesn't distort previous postings:

1. To help absorption of calcium supplements, you also need magnesium and Vitamin D.

2. Concerns were reported re calcium supplements due to the lead levels (see #6a below) and the possibility of fillers and additives (e.g., maltodextrin, MSG, etc.). For example, one woman reported she “ ….. had a 4 day reaction to a single dose of 2 cal/mag preps. One contained calcium in a citric acid base (the company swore it wasn't made with corn or beets), and the other was made with calcium citrate ….”

3. Drugs such as Fosamax, Calcitonin, and other Bisoposphonates are loaded with additives and may present very serious problems for those sensitive to MSG.

4. Ecological Formulas’ Tri Salts Reagent Grade Bicarbonates are marked as “Allergen Free”. Serving six is ½ teaspoon to mix with water or desired liquid; however, some folks have reported it may be a good idea to take less based on own judgment. Tri Salts contains: Calcium (carbonate), 450 mg, 45% Daily Value;
Magnesium (carbonate, oxide), 250 mg, 63% D; Potassium (bicarbonate), 99 mg, 3% DV. Tri Salts is “….. designed to neutralize increased acidity.” Some have reported using it after reactions to MSG.

5. There may not be sufficient calcium in the Tri-Salts for those whose doctors recommend they take more to prevent osteoporosis; HOWEVER, Deb A does not recommend that you increase dosages of Tri-Salts to get more calcium. Reasoning: If you take more than the recommended dosage of Tri Salts, you will increase your calcium intake BUT you will also be increasing your intake of magnesium and potassium beyond what your body needs.

6. Options previously mentioned for those who wish to increase calcium intake would be to either

a. take KAL’s dolomite powder that contains both calcium and magnesium. POSSIBLE PROBLEM: It may contain high levels of lead. (Dolomite as a source of lead exposure is reported at: http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_info/poison_prevention/poison_) When KAL was asked by one individual about this, conflicting information was provided.

OR

b. take NOW’s calcium carbonate powder. To quote Deb A, “You can take as much of the plain calcium powder as you need and it is inexpensive.”

In either case, --- to quote Deb A again, “it would be wise to take cod liver oil for the vitamin D you need, unless you get several minutes of sunshine daily. Carlson's makes a good tasting lemon flavored product that is made of just the liver oil and lemon oil. It should be fine unless the oil has preservatives.”

Here are contacts for suppliers mentioned:

Ecological Formulas for Tri-Salts - 1-800-888-4585

NOW for calcium carbonate powder - http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.com/Merchant/nw.htm
1-800-283-2833

Carlson’s for Cod Liver Oil – http://www.carlsonlabs.com or 888-234-5656

If I misstated the facts posted thus far, please correct me! Thanks for everything Deb!
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 7:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To supplement anon's summary above:

1. Dr. Weil's premier "Self Healing" newsletter for subscribers dated 2000 refers to calcium supplementation as part of an antioxidant regimen. My paper copy reads: "Because calcium is constipating, take with ½ as much magnesium to maintain normal bowel function. (Magnesium has a mild laxative effect.)"

2. Weil recommends in his antioxidant regimen to take divided doses of 500 mg of calcium with meals. (For a total daily dose of 1,000-1,500 mg for under 40 and 1,500 for 40 and older.)

3. Someone (other than Deb A) mentioned the use of calcium citrate --- This caught my eye because I know calcium citrate is recommended for those who may have insufficent stomach acid to absorb calcium (e.g., seniors). I am hesitant to try the calcium citrate for some of the findings cited at http://www.calciuminfo.com/prof/3_9.htm
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Anonymous: What a great summary of the calcium facts. I have one question, though, if I take the calcium carbonate from NOW, where do I get the magnesium and Vitamin D? I have been taking the KAL dolomite powder for about one year now (1/2 teaspoon every day or every other day in orange juice) and have not had a problem at all. I am sure I am not getting any lead poisoning, as I have blood work done routinely. My nails are great, and I have no bone loss at 55 years old. I wanted to have another source than the Dolomite, in case they change the formula some day.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 9:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's helpful to know that your lead levels are OK with KAL dolomite powder. Would you mind posting the exact ingredients in your KAL dolomite powder with amounts for the standard dosage here? Are you taking any other supplements with calcium, magnesium or potassium?

Re Vitamin D when you take NOW's calcium carbonate, I think Deb A said: "It would be wise to take cod liver oil for the vitamin D you need, unless you get several minutes of sunshine daily. Carlson's makes a good tasting lemon flavored product that is made of just the liver oil and lemon oil. It should be fine unless the oil has preservatives.”

Re getting enough magnesium if you take NOW’s calcium powder, I’d like to hear more from Deb A or anyone else. (I think Deb A’s previous comments about were in reply to someone who was taking Tri-Salts and wanted to increase her calcium more. Tri salts contains 450 mgs of Calcium Carbonate, 250 mg. of magnesium and 99 mg of Potassium.)

I don’t know too much about maximum potassium and magnesium levels other than Dr. Weil stating that you should take is ½ as much magnesium in comparison to the calcium in order to maintain normal bowel function.

Deb A - I hope I didn't distort anything you previously posted!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great info, guys! Thanks for posting so much here regarding calcium. I take 1/2 t. Tri-Salts about every other day. Once in a while, when I know I have had a week low in natural calcium intake (less dairy and dark leafy greens)I will add some calcium carbonate, too(or dolomite). I have spoken to the producers of KAL dolomite calcium, and they have told me that they have continuous strict lab testing of the dolomite for lead content. They said they allow amounts that are even lower than what the government deems safe. Now again, this is at the word of the company, which one can choose to believe or not. I am outdoors most days of the warm months to create the vitamin D I need, but during the winter, I am going to try taking Vit D via the Carlson's cod liver oil on days I can't get any sun. If I react to that, I will go to plain nasty tasting cod liver oil! Just 5 minutes of sun on the back of the hands and is enough to create Vit D, according to our MD. Even on cold cloudy days, a walk outside to the mailbox is good, too. The best way to get calcium is of course dairy products, but don't forget, many vegetables and fruits also contain calcium, which is much more readily utilized by the body. In fact, most calcium pills end up undissolved in the stomach or intestines or in the sewage system, according to some reports and doctors. Eating greens, cooked or raw, will give you much needed natural calcium: chard, kale,collards. Try steaming them or stir frying in some olive oil. A squeeze of lemon is great and a pinch of sugar or other sweetener is good, too. I have found a good source for hormone and and additive free pork, including the uncured side pork. It's what bacon is made from, comes sliced like bacon, too. I told the butcher I can't eat bacon and why. He told me how to cook the side pork like bacon. The rind is cut off, and then the pork is placed in a pan and seasoned and fried slowly like bacon. Sprinkle with LOTS of cracked pepper and salt. It is so good and not nearly as greasy as bacon. It is good crumbled and added to cooked greens, that are simmered with chopped onion. Add some cooked beans to the pot, and it's a meal. We eat this often in the winter with cornbread....and we aren't even from the south! So far, my nails and bones are fine. I am 54, and have not lost any of my height yet, a sure sign of calcium and bone loss. My doctor, knowing I don't drink milk, (though I use organic whole milk on cereal and to "cream up" some sauces, beverages, and recipes and I eat some mild whole milk cheese occasionally)insists I use some HRT.(had a hysterectomy years ago) I have been using the .05 Climara patch, which I cut in half. But since fibroid tumors are in the family, he now wants me to try the Evista pill. If I have a reaction, I may just choose to stop all estrogen replacement and depend solely on calcium supplementation.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor this week told me to take twice as much magnesium as calcium. I'm going to ask him again when I see him in 6 weeks. Maybe he meant to say half as much. He is treating me for "leaky gut" and candida, just exactly what the naturopath in England said I had. Got a migraine from the pills though (Kandidaplex); only took 3 of them, and I hope the cure isn't worse than the ailment. The doctor said it is O.K. to try removing the ingredients from the gel-cap and see what happens.
amh
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 2:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember reading years ago that putting an egg shell in the blender with withever liquid you drink is a great source of calcium.

Adelle Davis -was the source in one of her books
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 2:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suggest heating the eggshells today to a point that would kill salmonella, if one were to attempt this. But it certainly sounds like a natural source of calcium. I eat the bones of canned salmon and kipper snacks when I can find safe ones. They're soft and can be mashed into the patties I make. Leftover romaine can be made into a type of minestrone soup, high in calcium.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 5:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 2 books noted below were the best I found out of the many read on preventing osteoporosis:

1. "Food and our bones: the natural way to prevent osteoporosis" by AnneMarie Colbin, Plume Publishers. Was written in 1998 but good tips without pushing any medicines or milk products. She suggests to eat meat & fish bones too.
2. "Strong women, strong bones : everything you need to know" by Miriam E. Nelson, G. P. Putnam & Sons Publishers, c2000.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 5:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth - There appears to be different opinions on the magnesium/calcium ratio that is needed.

Contrary to Dr. Weil who says to take 1/2 the amount of magnesium in comparison to your calcium intake, Dr. Mercola at http://www.mercola.com/1999/may/16/questions_answers.htm states an equal amount of both is best in the following: "If you are going to take any calcium or magnesium supplements long term, it is best to balance them out. A reasonable ratio is twice as much calcium as magnesium. If you have a problem with constipation, you could use a ratio that is closer to one to one as the magnesium will increase the frequency of your bowel movements.”

Sounds like the last sentence is the key. Pls report back on what your doc says. Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page