Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why MSG sensitivity may build up.

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Scientific Information » Why MSG sensitivity may build up. « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 7:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Based on my other posts today relating to overstimulation of the nervous system and inflammatory disorders, (see http://www.newswise.com/articles/2000/5/ALLERGY5.JHM.html ) I think I can speculate as to why this severe MSG sensitivity takes time to build up in us. If overstimulation of the nervous system causes inflammation response, and the cells produced in this inflammation response produce more nerve growth factor, and this produces more sensitive nerves that are reactive, you have your basic beautiful example of vicious cycle. More new overreactive nerve cells are being born all the time, probably reaching a critical state - at which we start to feel pain.

We are definitely not crazy. The food companies are, for sprinkling our children's food with the most prevalent basic neurotransmitter in the human body and turning a deaf ear to reason.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 5:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify, the nerve cells may not be new, but are probably nerve cells that were there, but that grew new branches and connections. It's hard to tell from the info given. The result is the same - heightened sensitivity.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 8:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - This explanation sounds very feasible. They have been saying that they don't know what causes allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities, food sensitivities, etc., but this could be the missing link. Obviously some sort of permanent systemic change is going on with a large proportion of the population. The symptoms aren't always the same due to individual physiological differences and exposures, but the fact that we are reacting to substances that did not use to bother us is a common phenomenon. Thanks for posting this; as usual you are very astute to connect pertinent scientific information to what ails us. The scientists who are conducting the research usually have tunnel vision, as they are looking for an answer to one particular question and designing the research to solve that particular question.
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, Thanks. Other autoimmune diseases, such as some forms of lupus, also have the inflammation and overactive mast cell responses. Interesting that the article didn't mention lupus, but then, lupus until recently was considered by some a virus and by others a cancer.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, thank you for this information. It makes sense. We who became sensitive, can look back over the years and see the insidious changes in the way we reacted....subtle little things that became worse...new puzzling symptoms than we became aware of and feared with each new "episode". I remember telling my husband it felt like my body was turning on itself...over responding to some mysterious enemy....like I had an overreaction to some poison that was worsening with each episode. It was so horrendous that I block out the memories.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 2:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One worry I do have is that, if this is true, and I believe it is, it probably is not reversible. Those nerve cells grow more connections all the time. In that sense it is progressive. Sensitivity will only worsen with each new insult. That is why it is critical to avoid MSG in the diet. It's only function is to overstimulate your already taxed nerve cells.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I too believe that you are right. That indeed, sensitivity only worsens with each new insult. So very many people that I meet are suffering from Fibromyalgia and all they drink is diet soda. They are addicted and can't stop. It is such a shame!
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 7:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks with multiple chemical sensitivities are told by the environmental doctors to avoid avoid avoid. This applies to us NoMSGers as well. Thanks for the postings above. All very valuable!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page