Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

About CoQ10

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Scientific Information » About CoQ10 « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 4:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I looked up info on CoQ10, I found information relating CoQ10 deficiency to strenuous excercise. We use up CoQ10 dramatically when we excercise. We know that there is such a thing as excercise-induced asthma. And we also know that MSG is proven to induce asthma. Here's my theory: Could excercise-induced asthma, really be a delayed MSG reaction due to excercise induced CoQ10 deficiency weakening the body's ability to generate the energy to block glutamate?
Judy T
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 8:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually about ALS (Lou Gehrigs): The 1997 Time-Life book "The Medical Advisor, Home Edition" which has more than 60 consultants, MDs and others, says under ALS: "Some evidence suggests that the disease may be triggered by exposure to heavy metals, animal hides, or fertilizers. In addition, viral infection and severe physical trauma have been implicated as causative factors. Other theorists link ALS to a phenomenon called excitotoxicity, in which the nerve cells that control movement are so relentlessly stimulated by glutamate, a neurotransmitter, that they eventually die". Later under Conventional Medicine they say, in part, "A highly controversial experimental therapy involves synthetic forms of an insulin-like nerve growth factor called cell-derived neurotrophic factor; it may protect motor neurons and stimulate the regeneration of damaged cells." Later, under Nutrition and Diet, in part: "Tests indicate that some neuromuscular symptoms may be relieved by 200-to 1,200 IU of vitamin E with thiamine (Vitamin B1) each day. Some evidence suggests that supplements of coenzyme Q10, a protein catalyst, may slow the nerve-tissue atrophy that comes with ALS".
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 8:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish me luck. I just bought some different CoQ10 again. This is Nature's Way brand, and contains ground millet and turmeric for the filler in capsules that I empty and eat. Not bad tasting. They are only 30 mg, but I took it twice today. After the last chest pain episode with the other brand, I'm being more careful. Since the last filler was soybean oil, that may have been the culprit. We shall see.
Adam
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try the Nature's Way as well-the last time I tried CoQ10-it had maltodextrin as a filler and I got those painful hives with white heads on them-they felt similair to chicken pox-which I suffered through as an adult. I was taking acidophilus in gel caps-the catch is that they weren't gelatin caps but VEGE-CAPS by Solgar. I thought they'd be safe and got burned-my nose has 3 of these hideous little pimples that I described before(right on the tip-very handsome), my nose swelled up like I'd been punched in the face last week after I took 4 of the vege-caps.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam, please let us know how you do with the Nature's Way brand....be sure it's the one with millet and turmeric as filler. I feel okay today after taking two 30 mg. capsules which I ate with meals yesterday. But it takes a few days for me to react if I am going to. So sorry about the sores on your nose! That's so irritating. I would have sores for years like that, and they were awful. Mine weren't on my nose, but they were so uncomfortable.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

The Solgar brand acidophilus is said to be in the vege-caps "together with Citrus Pectin". You could report your reaction to them at their web site (and hope they don't respond with a coupon for a second bottle):

http://www.solgar.com/cgi-bin/online_reference_new/online_ref.pl?function=Product&id=96773236412665
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 4:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nature's Way lists gelatin (but no maltodextrin) in the 10mg, 60mg and 100mg sizes of their CoQ10, but not in the 30mg, apparently a mistake. (scroll down to and click on "vitamins" box):

http://www.naturesway.com/products_catalog
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 8:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I checked my bottle of 30 mg, and it lists gelatin first, and I am assuming that this is the gelatin capsule, which I discard. I think I will call and see if gelatin is added to the other ingredients as part of the filler.
Adam
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 2:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy-you are the best. My nose is settling down after days of inflammation. I am sure the citrus pectin didn't help! And Deb A.-thank you-I will make sure I check that label! I will let you know what happens.
Thanks again folks
Judy T
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 5:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am concerned in building basic cell strength or immune system strength. I take CoQ10 and, of course, interested in any supplement that works for others. Has anyone heard or tried Oleuropein for this purpose? It is olive leaf extract and apparently is recommended by some alternative practitioners. Any first hand or resource information?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 11:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T,

Here's an article on olive leaf extract:

http://www.herhealth.com/news/10-26-98/olive.shtml
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 10:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy and Tom, I got to thinking this morning about energy and cell death - I think maybe we can approach MSG neurotoxicity from a different angle. Why exactly does a nerve cell die, and how exactly does glutamate cause it? I think the answer is directly due to CoQ10. I don't think what directly kills the cell is glutamate overtaxing them. Glutamate's action is to blame, but indirectly. I think what actually finishes the cells off is the resulting CoQ10 deficiency because we know that simple exertion can result in CoQ10 deficiency. In other words, CoQ10 may not PREVENT glutamate from overstimulating the cells. I think maybe, it is the fact that CoQ10 supplementation enables the cells to extract enough energy to withstand the overstimulation long enough for it to stop, and then continue the cell's normal function. It's like giving a scuba diver enough oxygen to make it an extra hour in case he gets delayed getting back up to the surface. In this case, though, CoQ10 is not the oxygen, it's the tube to bring the oxygen from the tank to the scuba diver's lungs. There could be plenty of glucose around (oxygen in the tank on the diver's back), but unless CoQ10 (the tube) is around to help the body metabolize glucose into usable energy, the cell runs out of energy, oomph, (breath) in essence - life.

I know it's a wacky analogy, but I guess you can consider glutamate the shark that causes the diver to increase his heart rate, and respiration - consequently his rate of use of oxygen. Regardless, he meets an untimely end - he runs out of air before the shark can eat him.

Deb A got me thinking about enzymes lately. Enzymes themselves are not used up in chemical processes, however, COenzymes are often changed in the process and regenerated later. You are familiar with coenzymes. They are often called vitamins. And you also know that these can become deficient. I found interesting info in my nutrition text this morning regarding the B Vitamins (coenzymes). Deficiencies in some of them can cause very similar symtoms regarding skin rashes and the like that some of you experience with MSG reactions. In particular, the disease Pellagra, a deficiency of niacin. Without niacin, cells can't make NAD which is in the glucose to energy pathway. What happens? Everything grinds to a halt. The four "D"s - 1. dermatitis where the skin flakes away and peels as if sunburned, 2. dementia - failure of the nervous system, 3. diarrhea - failure of the digestive system, and finally, 4. death.

This disease became widespread in people who mainly lived on corn. (Something many of you don't tolerate well.) Corn does not supply enough niacin or the precursor to niacin, the essential amino acid tryptophan. Recognize tryptophan? It is the amino acid displaced by tyrosine which is made from half of the Nutrasweet molecule - phenylalinine. An excess of amino acid leucine is probably to blame too, since it inhibits a key enzyme that converts tryptophan to NAD. Recognize NAD? (Glucose - energy pathway)and it speeds up the activity of another enzyme that breaks down tryptophan.

Another related note - the disease beri beri caused by thiamin deficiency, which clued researchers in to the actual existence of vitamins, is characterized by guess what? Edema.

That's concludes my science lesson for today :)
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 11:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, Carol, Tom, etc.: Roy, I've said it before but here it is again; you are remarkable in your ability to pinpoint resources. Gads, I tried half the day and didn't come up with this website. Thank you.
Carol, you are remarkable, too. What a team you (we?) are all together. You make the most sense. As I have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and numerous markers for lupus (and other stuff that is worse), I know I must not only avoid excitotoxins, as they exacerbate my situation, but I must find ways to strengthen my immune system. Your comments make absolute sense to me. Absolutely.
Tom, the "Olive Leaf Extract" book by Dr. Morton Walker talks a lot about atrial fibrilation, but I'm sure you've been this route already.

The quality of the supplement, according to this book, states "one indicator of high quality olive leaf extract is the concentration of oleuopein. While other oleuropein concentrations can be high quality, a 6 percent concentration has been found effective". On the other hand, they are recommending as much as 4 x 500mg doses daily in comparison to the website Roy provided! I'm going to search further and in fact have an appointment with an engineer-turned-vitamin/supplement-expert in the Reno area. He has a wellness center of some local stature. He looks at all supplements (says that most vitamins are like pissing in the wind), and tells you the grade of the product, its interactions, etc. In fact he comes to the house because he says that people forget to bring ALL that they ingest. I'm going to talk to him about CoQ10, oleuropein, as well as how to get the most out of vitamin supplements like selenium, VitBs, C, E, and calcium with the least binder/filler. Anxious to meeet with him. I'll get back to you IF he is helpful.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 11:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article below recommends CoQ10 for als, also:

http://www.alssurvivalguide.com/als_causes_of_als.htm
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 12:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We. Team. What I mean, of course, is every person who signs on to this board; whether they are like me and have mostly questions or concerns, whether it is the myriad of people who provide necessary expertise (you are too innumerable to name because I would leave out someone), or whether it is the supportive comments and suggestions (and we are a team who do support each other)...that is the "We" team I mean. And thank you all. Deb S with her mayo suggestion again (I needed it) and so many resources; Deb A with her continuing advice and concern; M-Y you always give me some idea I need; MEMorris you give such personal help; my Las Vegas connection (oh gads my mind went blank), I can hardly wait to meet you in Reno...you are so spunky; Carol, Roy, Tom, Anon, DJ, Adam, Ruth, the other Judy, Christine with the many initials...; oh, my, there are so many of us. See I did forget a few of you; I apologize. As soon as this post is over I'll remember your name and feel badly.

Looks like I'm being sentimental. It's snowing here and the heads of my daffodils are bowed. It's how I feel as well.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 1:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One added thought using the diver analogy - taurine would be the shark repellent. :)

I feel the same way you do Judy T. I especially love the openness with which we discuss ideas. Our ideas feed off each other and just take on a life of their own. With each new twist we get closer to the answers we're looking for.
Deb A.,
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 2:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This whole process is no small miracle. Mike and I look back to just a couple years 3 years ago...there was so little to find about MSG on the Internet or elsewhere. Now there are doors opening all the time, and people are warning friends and family everywhere. The computers in homes have opened our world up, and we are part of the growing momentum. Judy T., thanks for your tender thoughts. I am so grateful for you and the others, too. For years, it has felt a bit lonely in this cause. NoMSG has been there, but to be able to constantly be fortified by the rest of you and aided by your support on this board has made the load I have felt on my shoulders and Mike's lift tremendously. I keep learning from all of you, and challenged to think and rethink. As Carol said, maybe that is what it will take to get more answers. I've had a ton of company for the last few days, and couldn't get to the computer at all. I couldn't wait to check out your comments that I have missed this morning! :)
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are a team...darn good one at that! No need to explain, Judy T. And it's teamwork that will make more things happen.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 10:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot me....but I'll be there and I read this board each and every day, even if I don't post.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 8:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We wouldn't forget you, Gerry!
Judy T
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry I didn't forget you! Just how to spell your name. You are my Las Vegas connection... I couldn't think of anything but Jerri and I knew that wasn't right...yes, I can hardly wait to see you in Reno and compare Nevada notes. I do apologize, Gerry, I knew when I typed it that 'my mind was going blank' but as I thought, in the middle of the night your name came to me.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whew! I thought I had been forgotten already. Thanks for remembering. I was worried that my pen had lost its oomph.....and notariety.
marye4
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! you guys are like an encyclopedia on the topic of CoQ10. CarolH, thanks for your recent thoughts it helps me understand how it works. A question that I've wondered about. Thanks to all of you for your pertinent facts.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H,

Your above statements resemble the chicken & egg arguments (which came first). My theory is that MSG ingestion causes overall body cellular energy loss and that symptoms experienced by MSG sensitive people are caused by cellular dysfunction due to the affects of excess glutamate. This excess glutamate not only comes from the ingested MSG, but also glutamate that was already resident at normal levels prior to the cells being deprived of their energy. This is why I have said that Dr. Blaylock doesn't have to prove that MSG can cross the blood brain barrier. If something such as MSG depletes cellular energy enough, normal glutamate levels will become toxic.

There is also the theory that CoQ10 must be absorbed by the body's tissues over time to become most effective as a cellular energy source -- below are some excerpts I found on CoQ10:

" coenzyme Q10 is a deceptively simple molecule which lies at the center of mitochondrial ATP production and appears to have clinically relevant antioxidant properties manifested by tissue protection in settings of ischemia and reperfusion. Congestive heart failure has served as a model for measurable deficiency of CoQ10 in blood and tissue, which when corrected, results in improved myocardial function. Ischemic heart disease, anginal syndromes, and most recently the ischemia reperfusion injury of coronary revascularization has provided clear evidence of clinically relevant antioxidant cell protective effects of CoQ10. Newer P31 NMR spectroscopy studies such as those conducted by Whitman's group in Philadelphia have documented enhanced cellular high energy phosphate concentrations with CoQ10 supplementation in models of ischemia and reperfusion [13]. Sophisticated biochemical markers of oxidative injury are now demonstrating in-vivo the antioxidant cell protective effects of CoQ10. Upon review of the 30 years of clinical publications on CoQ10 and the author's own clinical experience, it is clear that there are several consistent and unique characteristics of the clinical effects of CoQ10 supplementation which are worthy of discussion and may for simplicity be termed the "Q effect". The benefits of CoQ10 supplementation are likely not due solely to a correction of deficiency in so far as clinical improvements are frequently seen in patients with "normal" pre-treatment CoQ10 blood levels and optimum clinical benefit requires above normal CoQ10 blood levels (2 to 4 times higher). High blood levels may be required to attain an elevation of tissue CoQ10 levels or to rescue defective mitochondrial function perhaps by driving cytosolic glycolysis or the plasma membrane oxidoreductase or by directly enhancing the function of defective mitochondria. There is almost always a delay in the onset of clinical change of one to four weeks and a further delay in maximal clinical benefit of several months. Possible reasons for this delay include time to attain adequate tissue levels of CoQ10 or time to synthesize CoQ10-dependent apoenzymes. Supplemental CoQ10 appears to affect much more than just cardiac myocytes and many aspects of patients' health tend to improve which cannot be explained by the observed improvement in heart function. CoQ10 does not lend itself to traditional organ-specific or disease-specific strategy and requires a reassessment and a rethinking of medical theory and practice."

"CoQ10 is a coenzyme for the inner mitochondrial enzyme complexes involved in oxidative phosphorylation. This bioenergetic effect of CoQ10 is believed to be of fundamental importance in its clinical application, particularly as relates to cells with exceedingly high metabolic demands such as cardiac myocytes.
The second fundamental property of CoQ10 involves its antioxidant (free radical scavenging) functions. CoQ10 is the only known naturally occurring lipid soluble antioxidant for which the body has enzyme systems capable of regenerating the active reduced ubiquinol form.
CoQ10 is known to be closely linked to Vitamin E and serves to regenerate the reduced (active) a-tocopherol form of Vitamin E. Other aspects of CoQ10 function include its involvement in extramitochondrial electron transfer, e.g. plasma membrane oxidoreductase activity, involvement in cytosolic glycolysis, and potential activity in both Golgi apparatus and lysosomes. CoQ10 also plays a role in improvement in membrane fluidity as evidenced by a decrease in blood viscosity with CoQ10 supplementation. "

Your additional theories about corn and the lack of niacin link remind me of theories about the vanished civilizations of the Mayans, Incas and Western US Indian tribes who subsisted on diets of Maze. Perhaps the wide spread use of MSG and MSG byproduct foods will be the demise of our civilization. Our own widespread ignorance & greed will be western civilization's downfall.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I think I know the answer to the chicken and egg question. I think our main health troubles came first. Many of us on this site have serious medical conditions. These then were exacerbated by things in the diet like MSG, which made the damage done by these food additives clinically obvious. In my case, my early hypertension troubles left me open to the Nutrasweet, and MSG damage while I was working at Lipton. The stem cell in my ovary was just waiting for a command to grow out of control with a signal from my overstimulated hypothalamus - and pituitary. My food allergies and sensitivity to MSG and aspartame were just waiting to become more of a problem due to the overly sensitive nerve cell dentrites caused by the Nerve Growth Factor released from mast cells my body called into action due to pre-existing hay fever and food allergies. In effect, my resulting troubles after exposure to these additives were - 1. Excessively large dermoid cyst 2. Aneurysm from vasoconsriction, 3. Pituitary tumor 4. Unusual number of IGE food allergies, and more discovered every time I see my allergist. I had many troubles before my introduction to MSG and aspartame, but would I have had to get a renal artery bypass before I was 35? Would I be allergic to practically all top 10 food allergens? Would I have had one of the largest demoid cysts the emergency room doctor had ever seen? Would I have all these troubles and a clinically significant pituitary tumor to boot? I don't think so. I know Gerry also has food allergies like I do, and so does Deb A. We share so many of the same troubles. Based on the latest research out of Johns Hopkins, I think maybe the allergies, heart disease, and vascular troubles set us up for being more sensitive to the nervous system stimulants and calcium channel openers the food industry is sprinkling on everything. I think these additives are affecting everyone, but us so much more for these reasons.
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't have any health problems--none that I know of anyway. My sensitivities to MSG and aspartame began, just over two years ago, several months after one too many exposures to Dursban (chlorpyrifos), the pesticide of choice of most residential exterminators (until recently banned). I suspect that additional toxic exposures at work during a remodeling job over the final months before I started getting so many migraines, likely added to the toxic pesticide exposures. But I don't recall having any acute symptoms from the exposures themselves. Also, I have never been allergic to anything, either by inhalation, contact, or ingestion. So there is likely more than one route to becoming sensitive to food additives, chemicals, fragrances, or anything else that causes problems.
I am still healthy as all get-out, according to doctors I've seen and the tests they've run.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 8:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Up to the age of 27, I was very healthy....ate anything I wanted to without a reaction. I got the usual colds or flu, but not until the age of 27 did I go from strong, athletic, full of energy to chronically ill all the time. One thing I question that you said, Carol, is that you said you had many problems before your introduction to MSG and aspartame. MSG has been around since the early 50's. And wasn't aspartame or other artificial sweeteners used in the early 70's in toothpaste and children's vitamins? No matter what good cooks our mom's were, we were steadily spoonfed MSG in the form of processed foods, and tons of MacDonald's and other treats over the years. We have also been subjected to tons of pesticides, preservatives, dyes, and other chemicals in the environment and in our food. Our drinking water contains more and more chemicals, too. You may be right in your instance, but I do wonder if we had a genetic predisposition, or a pr-existing condition as you may be suggesting :) .... or maybe an overactive immune system, as Jack Samuels suggested in the latest NoMSG newsletter. It is also possible that damage was done to those of the second generation since the introduction of MSG to our food supply, prenatally. My mother's mother never had MSG in her child bearing years. My mom was getting some when I was born, and I've eaten it in foods from bouillon cubes to Chinese foods since I was little. The amount in our foods has doubled every decade, and my children were getting even more prenatally from me and in their diets in the 70's. They began manifesting their symptoms before I did in their teens, and if they did not change their diets as they have, I would bet a million that their children would have developed even earlier problems like the ones we are seeing in epidemic proportions today....ADD, autism, etc. I still suspect that any food allergies that I may have ( which I never had problems with until the time I began to react to MSG) trigger a reaction because they contain free glutamate, which my body has come to recognize as the "enemy". This is all theory and what you are saying is very plausible, too. That's why it is so important that this health condition we struggle with gets some public recognition...that we matter, and that research must be done! But our brainstorming may get us somewhere, eventually. Sure hope so. You keep us thinking, Carol. What would we do without your knowledge and insights!?
Deb S
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify, I was 42 when I started reacting to small amounts of MSG and aspartame. Up until then, I was eating all the things that now I avoid like the plague without noticeable ill effects. I've never been hospitalized (except to give birth), never had necessary surgery. Luckily for me, I discovered the aspartame/MSG connection to my symptoms nearly at their onset. Perhaps had I gone on for several years reacting continuously and not discovering the cause, more serious health problems could have developed.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H & Deb A,

We must first realize that we are all individuals and react differently to common outside influences. But if enough individuals are lambasted by a constant and and ever increasing dosage of "food pollution" over time, certain similarities of reactions will evolve. That is why the list of associated ailments and even "disease" catagories is growing. If individually we all had the very same reaction to these excitotoxins, there would have been a worldwide clamoring to remove them from our food supply. But since the reactions (until now) have been hard to relate to these excitotoxins, the medical community has been forced to treat the symptoms instead of searching for the cause.

It must be our mission to first understand the linkages between the reactions and the causal excitotoxins and secondly to share that knowledge with as many individuals as possible who can help to champion a groundswell of consumer activism.

Just think how long it takes to convince public health officials of possible water pollution in some areas. Sometimes you might have children & adults dying of cancer before someone studies the similarities and tries to identify the root cause. We are at that stage with this "food pollution."
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent points, Tom.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 7:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right, Deb (both of you:) )
You too, Tom. There are many ways of becoming sensitive. But also think of PKU, and the myriad of diseases that have been around since before this century. It is true Deb A, that I was one of those babies fed MSG laden baby food and taurine deficient baby formula. As a child, I was fed Lipton and Campbells soups on a regular basis. I ate Lipton onion soup mix in my potato chip dip, and my hamburgers. I was not an MSG-free, pesticide free, person before my breathing in Nutrasweet. That is true. Perhaps many of my troubles were caused by MSG and aspartame and endocrine disruptors in my environment as a child, and fetus even. I guess my point is that once I had these troubles, regardless of the cause, I am at even greater disadvantage when exposed to MSG and aspartame now. I am trying to explain perhaps why we react more than say, our friends, and relatives to these things. Thank you for your responses though. It's the give and take of idea exchange that makes this so interesting a discussion for me.

Also, going back to CoQ10, and allergies, I just remembered that allergies and hypoglycemia often go hand in hand because the body is using up more resources to fight what it thinks is an invader. Going back to that diver anology, it's like the diver is working harder and using up more oxygen than usual, putting him at more risk of running out of air. For an allergic person, they already are at risk from the hypoglycemia. Allergic persons would probably need more CoQ10 than your average person too. Back to the chicken and egg argument I guess, Tom :)
Laurie M
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess i was a young un compared to the rest of you when I developed my allergy. i was 10 years old when I first developed serious headaches. Previously I had very little exposure to MSG. I grew up on a farm with an organic garden. My mother made my baby food with a food grinder and we had our own cows. I drank raw milk until I was eight years old. At age eight I moved to the city:( I started attending Public schools and eating hot lunches and getting my food from the grocery stores. I believe that this was a direct result of MSG on my "clean" system. Now I can't find milk I can drink, I eat virtually no dairy except yogurt. I have to eat organic produce. And I subsist on venison and halibut instead of graocery stores. I think that recent "improvements" in school lunches are a main cause of misbehavior and sickness in todays school children. I have been sensitive for 13 years and am only twenty three. What is going to happen to my food in the next thirteen years?
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our discussion has made me think of the"good old days". When I was a little girl in the 50's, I always heard the stories of the longevity and health in our family.... there was lots of pride about that. We came from a family of athletes on both trees...several gym teachers, my dad was a tennis champion of Buffalo, N.Y., so was my cousin in Florida and my daughter, locally....we're even related (distantly) to that jerk, Frank Gifford...sorry Frank..hope he's behaving now. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that in recorded or remembered history, our family has been blessed with strong babies and comparatively good health, unless some of them abused the bottle or cigarettes, and even then, they seemed to thrive...until the last 3 generations starting with my dad's. My dad was the picture of health. His weakness was Chinese food. We didn't know it back then when I was a teen, and he began having constant headaches, fits of rage, horribly itchy skin, and diahrrea all the time, that he was reacting to MSG. His dad had lived to be 98 and his mother was 90...very healthy all their lives. We didn't understand the MSG connection, and dad died after battling esophageal cancer (Dr. Blaylock says MSG is first absorbed there), a stroke, and surgery for a small brain tumor, age 73. Just a couple years prior to that, his sister died from colon cancer. She never cooked a thing from scratch like her mother had, and everything was out of a box or can. She also had the itchy skin, the bags under the eyes, headaches, and chronic stomach problems. She, like my dad had been so strong and healthy for years. Neither smoked. They were anxious all the time...close to being paranoid at the end, even before the major problems set in. It was like we lost them before we lost them. I'm sure there may be a family predisposition to developing an intolerance to glutamic acid, but what is it that does this?... faulty genes?..is it an oversensitive immune system which causes reactions that are crippling sometimes, or are we born unable to process certain proteins, as in PKU with phenylanyline(sp?)...or perhaps we just happen to produce enough necessary enzymes for a few years, but only enough for the average intake of glutamate in an "ideal" world where MSG does not exist. But then, maybe the glutamate acts as a endocrine disrupter and messes our whole system up....thus the downward health spiral. I cannot tell you...no one was more shocked than me at the sudden change in my health at age 27 or 28. You can read my story on our site to see how quickly my health deteriorated from then on. I can look back and see that before that age, I was exhibiting a few minor irritations I know were caused by MSG now. But they were typical of many people in the population..post nasal drip, mainly. My mom was not a "cook". She quickly snatched up any newly created food like TV dinners, macaroni and cheese in the box, canned soups, and many trips to MacDonalds. I represent the 1st generation introduced to MSG at a very early age. I think each successive generation is paying the price more than the proceeding one did. It will only get worse before it can get better, I'm afraid. Excess glutamate in our food is damaging our cells, our brains and our endocrine system and that of our offspring, prenatally and postnatally, just as it did in the hundreds of tests done on lab animals since the 50's. Sorry to rattle on so much. I was moved by the link that Roy posted about the little autistic boy. Children are being drugged and put into special schools because of the food industry and their greed and/or ignorance. Our lives have been changed forever and so have our children's.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

I don't really think any of us are more sensitive that the general population. They have just not become aware of symptoms related to the influx of MSG.

I have some friends who hassle me about my MSG preaching who are sorely overweight. They don't exhibit any of the medical ailments associated with MSG (at least they don't admit it) but they consume processed food products daily that contain it, drink diet drinks with Aspartame and are constantly on diets to lose their excess 70 to 80 pounds.

When I was in my 30's, I knew to stay away from MSG because of the immediate rise in blood pressure and heartrate to the point that I would have blackouts. With that avoidance, I was able to live healthy, excercise and enjoy life. It was not until my mid forty's when my wife got on this low fat kick and bought every food product that touted low or no fat that I satrted having problems again. I did not correlate it to the MSG containing ingredients that were being added to the food products to improve their taste (because the fat removal made everything taste like cardboard), and thus I had my congestive heart failure episode. It was only after finding the NOMSG site and you fellow "heroes" that I began to realize what had happened to me.
Ruth
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 7:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Thanks everybody for sharing. As bad a physical condition as we're all in now, we'd be much worse off if we didn't have this knowledge and wonderful support!
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 7:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

It may be too early for some of you to notice, but I think I may be receiving an unexpected benefit from my CoQ10 dosage. I have been taking increased dosage amounting to 300mg daily for about three months now and my previously totally gray beard has become "salt & pepper" again. I thought I was imagining it because the change has been so subtle, but my wife mentioned it out of the blue when we were out of town last week. I had my shirt off getting some sun and she commented that my chest hair looked less gray. When I mentioned that I thought my beard was changing, she agreed and said it looks like it is reversing the order that it had turned gray -- that is to say the chin and mustache area that turned gray last is darkening first.

I thought I had heard somewhere that selenium supplementation could have this affect, but why CoQ10? I'll have to do some research if this trend continues.

Later.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember that you said you bought your CoQ10 at Sam's, Tom. The product at Costco contains some suspicious ingredients, but you say that by taking it in such large doses, things like gelcaps and maltodextrin shouldn't bother us due to the effects of CoQ10. It's sure a lot cheaper at Costco. I'll see how I'm doing with this one I have before I get brave enough to try that product. That's fascinating about your gray! My hubby began turning gray at age 26. Guess I'll have to get some for him. :)
DJ
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is it! I am heading to the store this afternoon to purchase the CoQ10. Even if I just sprinkle a little in my food, at least I will be attempting something beneficial. These last few days have been so bad....trying to work massaging the back of my neck at the same time.....I had forgotten that I got my hair done on Wednesday evening, MSG in the shampoo, conditioner, gel and hairspray??? AAARRRRRGGGGHH!!!!!!!!! (sad face, sad face, sad face.......I don't know how to do the picture thing.....LOL)

DJ
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 5:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to sour things, but has anyone had any bad reation to Q-10? I've been on it for only about 2 months of 120m. I was feeling great, until just about 2 wks. ago I got real sick with a cold, no big deal. But after I got better I have not been able to eat much. It just kept getting worse, up to where I am just making it through the day of work. I went to the Dr. and he found that my stomache is inflamed but he doesn't know why. He took some test and they came back neg. The only thing I am taking right now is the Q-10, which he wants me to stop. Since I have stopped I am not able to be around people, I get very upset. I think the Q-10 was helping me be able to eat some foods with msg, and with stopping the Q-10 I am now having my reactions. I want to go back on the Q-10, but I thought I would check with you guys to see if any of you have had any stomache pains with this. Thanks for any response.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

I think those of us who try the CoQ10 must remain religiously vigilant about abstaining from the MSG containing foods as well. I know it is tempting to try a little of our old favorite foods hoping the CoQ10 will protect us from the reaction, but you have to beware otherwise you will start having reactions again and possibly blame it on the CoQ10.

I know I have "cheated" occasionally (especially when out of town) and have had only one or two episodes. Luckily for me, I just slap my hand and make sure I continue the CoQ10 dosage while abstaining from the MSG products.

I don't want to sound like a salesperson on CoQ10, but when I wake in the morning after a restful sleep and feel my heart beating strong and regular a smile of gratitude comes to my face. Gratitude for finding this site and being able to regain control of my life through the help of my friends here.

But right now for me at least, CoQ10 is just a crutch to help me walk through this minefield of poisonous "Food Pollution" long enough to hope to see the day when the rest of the world awakens to the danger. Can you imagine what that world would be like? If these excitotoxins truly are the scourge we sufferers know them to be and they were removed from all of our food products by law, just think about all the major societal changes that would take place. It's mind boggling. :)
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 7:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please also remember that I am on the low carb lifestyle (no longer just a diet). The higher levels protein & fat I consume may allow for better absorption of the CoQ10.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I am a little concerned about the blood thinning effects of the CoQ10. It may have a similar effect as aspirin. Beneficial in one way, but with side effects. Since we are all different, and react differently, you must do what works for you. Since I was diagnosed with wheat allergy and removed wheat from my diet, I have stopped my CoQ10, because I don't need it very much now that my body isn't constantly under seige from that particular allergen. I feel pretty good. If I accidentally eat something wrong now, I take some, but not regularly. If you avoid MSG as Tom suggests, you may do fine without the CoQ10. Perhaps things will return to normal, once your body feels that is is not under attack, and using up so much energy.

Regarding the chicken and egg question - I've thought about this for a few days. Causing a disease, and exacerbating one are different things, true, but not mutually exclusive. For example, glutamate can affect the hypothalamus and cause damage directly - giving us hypothyroidism, and endocrine disorders. It can impact the pancreas and induce changes in the glucose/insulin balance, and perhaps cause a form of diabetes. But, also, consider someone whose liver is injured by inadequate fat intake, vitamin A toxicity, or a car accident even, unable to store vitamin B6, convert amino acids, or make taurine due to an influence not related to MSG. That person's problems will be exacerbated by intake of excitotoxins. Whether MSG and aspartame cause a disease and/or make one's life more miserable because of a pre-existing condition does not absolve the food industry of poisoning us all. However, to be taken seriously by the medical profession, we must get away from the appearance that we believe all the evils of the world are caused only by MSG and aspartame. Doctors will, in a heartbeat, point out to us, and correctly so, that diabetes and pituitary tumors predate both MSG and aspartame. If we cannot prove without research that these excitoxins actually cause the disease, we may get somewhere by presenting the argument that these things worsen pre-existing conditions. The research for proving disease causation may have to come later.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 9:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, you make a lot of sense. I'm not sure why I was letting msg by other than being stupid. I do enjoy taking the CoQ-10, because with having rhumatoid arthritis I was down to taking 6 tylenol 3 aspirins a day and with the Q-10's I don't have to take any. So the Dr. wanted to put blame on the Q-10's right away since I wasn't taking the aspirins any more. I would bet the stomach pains were probably caused from the foods with msg that I ate. Since it took only 2 days(without Q-10) to go back to hurting with arthritis I am going to go back to the Q-10's and stay away from all foods with msg. Thank's guys I really like being able to bounce things off here.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 1:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

I purchased the CoQ10 from Whole Foods, with the ingredients as Rice Powder, Gelatin. I intend to take it out of the capsule. I have not knowingly taken anything with MSG in it in the recent weeks (a very long time!) I have been reacting to high free glutamate in the safe foods that are included in my food program (tomatoes, onions, broccoli, cheese, milk, and some meat)

Each year is different for me, each day a new experience.......I will never again knowingly take ANYTHING with MSG in it, no matter how badly I crave it, it is just that even normal foods lately have become a problem, that is why I purchased the CoQ10. At my wits end here.......

What if MSG sensitivity did exist before heart disease.....but it was free glutamate that people were sensitive to......that is why good old W.C. Fields may have had his extremely red face and bulbous nose????.....too much wine, perhaps?

I don't know....just trying to find some answers...I am very tired today....tired of feeling badly.....please forgive.

DJ
Ruth
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 8:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ,
I also can't eat any of the foods you mentioned above. Have you tried avoiding foods that contain tyramine? I don't know what symptoms you have, but for me, the glutamates, tyramine, and sulfites all give me terrible migraines. If you haven't already done so, do a search for tyramine-it's in lots of good foods (bananas, avocados, spinach). I hope you feel better with the CoQ10. I haven't tried it yet. Is it actually a powder inside that gel cap? I'm afraid of soy oil that they use inside the capsules. Please let us know how you do on it. I have a Whole Foods right around the corner and I'll pick some up.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 9:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I think what you are saying is very valid. I remember reading in Dr. Blaylock's book, that he felt that a sensitivity to excitotoxins can also be the result of injury to the spine or brain, due to an accident or mini-stroke...anything that compromises the blood brain barrier....thus allowing too much glutamate to enter the brain...so it could also follow that even before MSG was used, people could have felt the effects of too much damaging glutamate getting into the brain from even natural forms of free glutamate, in addition to the glutamate automatically released in the body or brain as a result of such injuries. We know that some people can drink alcohol and some cannot without becoming alcoholics or having other negative effects. In some way and for unknown reasons, we have become victims of substances or chemicals in our environment and food, that we cannot tolerate as well as others can. We need to be recognized as a segment of society that should be studied and respected for our "disability".
DJ
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ruth,

Thank you. Yes, the capsule contains a yellow powder, and the ingredients listed are just Rice Powder, gelatin. I have taken the powder out and just applied a little bit three times today to my tongue. I am so sensitive, I don't want to cause any worse problems. I did the same thing last night before bedtime. It is way too early to tell, but today was the first day at work where I did not experience the flushing, or the dreaded pain at the base of my neck.

Springtime and Summer have always been my best times, with little or no reaction to free glutamate. I even cheat during the summer a little and get away with it......but THIS summer I intend to stay away from any cheating. I know what this poison is to me, and I have no intention of eating any of it!

True story here....a woman brings in her pet dog??(couldn't tell what it was) purchased 4 little Slim Jims. I say, are the Slim Jims for the dog. "Oh yes" she says....we taught him to sit up, beg and stick out his tongue for them" I say, "Oh wow, I was wondering why he is a little chubby"........(lying here, small dog looked like he was ready to birth a bus!!)

She proceeds to show me his trick, feeds him a small portion of the first Slim Jim. Two seconds later, the dog is wheezing and gasping for breath!!!!!! Eyes popping....(it was a chihauhau) it was frightening! I said "Does that always happen to him when he eats those?" She says "Yes, Asthma is very prevelant in chihauhau's"..........God help us.

DJ
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Per the Chicago tribune of 3/26/2001, Adolph Levis, the inventor of the Slim Jim dried meat snack, was born in Philadelphia, where I live. He died on Tuesday, March 20th, 2001, in the Hospice by the Sea in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 89.
He dropped out of school at 16 and began selling spices, pickles and condiments during the Depression. Later, he started a business selling pickled pigs' feet, tomatoes and cabbages out of his garage, largely to delicatessens and taverns.

As he sold spices, I wonder if he was also the producer of Adolph's meat tenderizer.

I also wonder about the cruel and sadistic woman you encountered.

At any rate, if his products have enough MSG in them to make a dog's eyes bug out and leave it gasping for breath, they can't be fit for human consumption.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 5:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

Just reading about Slim Jims Roy mentioned makes my mouth water and as many of you know I am from the Chicago area and we grew up on them. I have steered clear of them and all the other brands of beef jerky treats (Lawry's was especially good) since I discovered the need to avoid MSG.

But I did talk my wife into buying an EMSON food dehydrator a couple of years ago and we have jointly come up with a jerky recipe that does not cause me reactions (even before I went on the CoQ10). We don't let the jerky dry out as long as people normally would and I try to keep my wife from cutting off all the fat. But for a meat lover like me, it makes the perfect snack.

Please be careful, because the more sensitive of you out there will notice the ingredients are dangerous. But as I said, I have no reactions to them in the quantities that are absorbed by the meat and the marinade can be used again & again (within a reasonable time frame).

Beef Jerky

Most meats are suitable for making jerky. Leaner cuts such as round, flank or rump are preferred over chuck and rib. Pork should be avoided, and chicken is best, and safest when it is cooked first before dehydrating.

Have your butcher slice the meat to about 1/4" thick. Cut the slices into 1 strips. Be sure to cut across the grain. Excess fat and gristle should be removed. Meats are usually easier to slice if they are partially frozen.

There are many spices that may be used for marinating; onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worchestire sauce, Tabasco sauce, soy sauce, paprika, basil, ginger, marjoram, curry powder, rosemary, thyme, and oregano all work well. Salt should be used in moderation as dried meats become much more savory. Of course, the longer the meats are marinated and the more spices are used, the more flavorful the jerky will be. A little lemon juice will help maintain the red color of the meat. Vinegar cuts some of the gamey taste out of wild meats.

Classic Marinade (makes about 1/2 lb. jerky)
I tsp, salt
I tsp, pepper
3 Tbsp, brown sugar
1/4 C. worchestire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1/4 C. soy sauce (Lachoy -- Lite Soy Sauce)
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke (Colgin -- Natural Hickory Liquid Smoke -- original recipe)
2 lbs. round or flank steak (sliced thin, easiest if the meat is partly frozen first)

Mix all marinade ingredients in bowl. Pour over meat slices, thoroughly wet all sides of meat and layer in the marinating dish. Cover tightly and marinate in fridge overnight. Rotate meat layers every couple of hours if you can. Drain the marinated meat and spread nonoverlapping on dehydrator trays. (you can save the marinade for another batch later) *For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for more tender jerky.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of us more sensitive than Tom, it's a good idea to avoid soy and worcestershire sauces. The latter not only has soy sauce in it, but is fermented as well.

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/hiddensources.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 8:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquid smoke is a no-no, too for most of us. Instead of the soy sauce, "W" sauce, and liquid smoke, could we add more salt,pepper, some sugar, garlic granules, and cayenne pepper,and maybe a little sesame seed oil and minced ginger? If possible, maybe a T. of soy sauce could be added and be okay for some of us. Looks like a great recipe, Tom. I'm surprised that you could tolerate this product before the CoQ10, but we all have different levels of tolerance. :) Then again, your product isn't loaded with all the other additives in commercial jerky, either.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Roy and Tom,
I wonder if you could please be kind enough to tell me where in the world I could actually purchase a food dehydrator. I've found one in a catalog but can't yet find one in an actual store. Besides beef jerky, I thought that I could make dried fruit for myself and my daughter (when she's old enough to eat it). The only kinds I've found are not organic so I thought that I could use organic fruit rather than feeding the brand called Just Raspberries, Just Blueberries, etc. Thank you very much, Christine
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 12:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my dehydrator at Target. It's made by NESCO. There are probably better brands out there if you will be using it a lot. I've never tried making beef jerky though my kids have asked me to. Guess I'll give it a try using some safe ingredients. I wouldn't have the courage to eat it myself, but it sure sounds better than the jerky my kids buy at the store. Thanks for the recipes.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 12:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shopco and Fred Meyers, and Walmart used to carry them, too.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 12:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine K.P.S.,

I think we bought our dehydrator at Service Merchandise.

We experimented with other recipies and flavoring products and with most I would have a reaction but not with these -- don't ask me why????
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 2:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my dehydrator over the internet because I wanted one with a thermostat.
http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/items/dehydrators/snackmasterpro.htm
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I meant was a thermostat control model.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 9:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all who responded, Ruth, Deb A., Tom, and Marcia. I have tried several different places such as Target, Sears, Macy's, and Williams-Sonoma. No luck yet. I will try other Targets and WalMart too. Oh, I remember Service Merchandise, but that was in Connecticut. That'd be quite a drive from California, hee, hee, hee. I'll check out the website you've mentioned, Marcia.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 10:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine,

You could log onto http://search.ebay.com/ and put the words "food dehydrator" in the "search title" field.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 8:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, that's another great idea. Thanks, Roy. It's a vast world out there and with computers, to me, it seems even larger. I'm still new to the computer world. I appreciate your suggestion.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 12:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's one I just thought of trying...QVC. I logged onto www.qvc.com and searched for food dehydrator. It came up with three. Now, I have no idea with is the most versatile. Obviously, I might think that the most expensive might be the best. It seems to have thermostat control. The others talk more about the different tray types for drying fruit leathers, herbs, etc. I would like to dry some organic, fresh herbs that my husband and I buy, which I may eventually grow if I ever get around to it. Lots come in a package and we cannot use them all up by the time they go bad. I understand they could be frozen but I would rather (I think) dry them. Still having trouble finding all herbs organic.

If anyone has a few moments, would you be kind enough to help me. I don't mind spending thirty bucks instead of 150 provided its just as good. In fact, I'd welcome the opportunity to save the money.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine, I have a Harvest Maid brand. It has different temps to dry with corresponding to the product to dry. It was a cheap model, but works great for the main things I dry..bananas, pears, apricots. I tie herbs up with rubberbands or twisties, and hang in little bunches to air dry. You can dry them on a low heat, but heat does cause the volatile oils to escape more. (and thus more of the flavors) I've also spread herbs like cilantro out on a clean cloth to dry.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Deb. I will look for that brand too. Your suggestion for the herbs sounds much easier to do than I expected.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 4:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine, I believe I have seen them at Costco, too. Check the big warehouse type clubs.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 11:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: CoQ10. I just saw my internist yesterday. I told her the only kind of supplements or medication I am taking is CoQ10 and that it helped with my allergies. She said she was not surprised and that it is a very good idea. She actually told me to take it regularly. When I asked about side effects, she said she was not aware of any detrimental side effects for my case. It kind of put my mind at ease more because this is a doctor who doesn't like you to take any medicine unless you absolutely have to. CoQ10 seems to have the current blessing of the medical profession at the moment.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 5:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

I too have had luck with my doctor. I saw him friday and he commented on how strong and regular my heartbeat was compared to previous visits. I told him that since taking the CoQ10 at 300mg per day and abstaining from MSG & Aspartame I have had virtually no A-Fib experiences.

He even said that after my last visit, he mentioned to his nursing and reception staff my "ossesion" with avoiding MSG and he found that his receptionist gets migranes from MSG and his one nurse's husband avoids it because of Asthma attacks.

I just happened to have a copy of some of Dr. Blaylock's latest writings (taken off a website that Roy mentioned once) on diskette with me and gave it to him to read.

We'll see what happens :) -- the previously doubting doctor even mentioned that he had some patients in mind that might benefit from my experiences.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

In a separate offline e-mail I theorized on CoQ10. I thought I would post it here as well:

When I read how some people on the site fear such small amounts of potential glutamate containing fillers in the CoQ10, I sympathize with them. But only to a point. If my theory is correct that the higher dosages of CoQ10 within the same delivery gel tablet eliminate the affects of the potential glutamates, then they should be taking these higher dosages.

Also, because the CoQ10 is fat soluble and best absorbed when packaged in that fashion, it becomes obvious that its digestion is meant to take place in the small intestine. It is during this time, that the liver secretes bile into the small intestine through the bile duct. Bile breaks large fat globules into small droplets, which enzymes in the small intestine can act upon. For those who have been opening the capsules and taking with fat, I'm afraid they are not getting nearly the same benefits. I would think the majority of the CoQ10 is being destroyed by stomach acids (perhaps causing the chest pain symptoms some have complained of) rather than being properly absorbed. Tests have shown that there is about a 60% loss of CoQ10 potency, even when delivered in the proper gel tablet fashion. Thus I would summarize that changing that proven delivery method would result in a much smaller dosage being absorbed and thus loss of the beneficial affects.

Even Dr. Blaylock states, "I would recommend for those with neurodegenerative disorders, a combination of CoQ10, acetyl-L carnitine, niacinamide, riboflavin, methylcobalamin, and thiamine." These other B Vitamins probably help not only with better absorption of CoQ10 (through aiding proper bile production), but also as acting as antioxidants and thus preventing cellular death.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 7:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, Taurine is also useful in this regard - it is used by the body to make bile. Also, is it maybe the gel cap itself that is causing the loss in potency? The nurses at my allergist office told me not to take allegra in the capsule because they have found that it is not absorbed - the capsule somehow prevents proper absorption by the body. They have now switched to the tablet form instead. Is it clear that the stomach acids directly attack CoQ10? I am not too comfortable eating anything with gelatin, due to my allergies and the threat of mad-cow disease.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

My doctor gave me a pile of allegra samples, but after taking just one I felt awful for days. I don't recall what form it was in, but I don't have such reactions from gel caps, so this was strictly the allegra. I would not recommend it to anybody.

Per the article linked below, I'm apparently not the only one that has had trouble with allegra.

http://www.findarticles.com/m3231/9_29/55806923/p1/article.jhtml
Marcia
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding taurine....I quit taking taurine and my sore lip problem cleared up. I took some on thursday and now I have my sore lips back. Does this make sense to anyone?
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 7:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not send an Email or call the supplier to ask for a list of the ingredients in the taurine? The taurine may be in a gelatin capsule. Also there may be gelatin as well as fillers (e.g., maltodextrin)mixed in with the taurine. Gelatin and maltodextrin are frequently troublesome to some of us NoMSGers. Please let us know what brand you used and what you learn!
Connie
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 5:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a very good article in the Baltimore Sunpaper about a independent lab that tests supplements for safety and reliability, called ConsumerLabs. Has anyone heard of them or subscribed to their service, which I would like to do?

Here's the link for CoQ10, which I know many of you are interested in:
http://www.consumerlabs.com/results/CoQ10.asp
Judy T
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 7:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H: In checking out the site from Connie above, I ended up on http://www.alz.org/glossary.htm
There was mention of tau protein; the major protein that makes up neurofibrillary tangles found in degenerating nerve cells. Tau is normally involved in maintaining the internal structure of the nerve cell.

What is this? Connected to taurine? What do you know? I've never heard of tau.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 5:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, I'm not quite sure yet if Tau and taurine are the same or if Tau is a transporter for taurine. The sites that use the two words synonymously are mostly ebusinesses that sell vitamins etc. A recent acquaintance of mine is a researcher specializing in Alzheimer's. I may get the chance to discuss this with him this week. He has actually done much research on taurine. I'll let you know what I find out.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for those using CoQ10. I am thinking of adding this to my son's diet plan. I am wondering if anyone gives this to their child(ren)? Also, are there any side effects? My son, 6, has signs of ADD and some asthma problems. Both are diminished greatly as a result of our diet, but I'm wondering if adding CoQ10 would have any additional effect. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
JudyT
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn H: I can't answer directly but I have resources at hand given to me by many on this board, particularly Roy. You'll probably have to read these items and make your own personal decision.
First the book by Stephen T. Sinatra, "The Coenzyme Q10 Phenomenon", ISBN 0-87983-957-0 and websites: (1) www.antiaging-systems.net/idebenone.htm
(2) cancernet.nci.nih.gov/cam/Q10/htm
(3)www.com/healthnews/dq10rewb.html
(4)healingedge.net/briefs_coq10.html
(5) yourhealthbase.com/coenzyme_Q10.html .
Hope this helps...if not; ask Tom or Roy!
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 10:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NoMSGers,

Last evening I was late taking my evening supplements which include 150mg of CoQ10. I usually take these at 4:00PM, but last evening I took them right before being served a dinner. I won't go into details of why and what I ate (some stupidity on my part), but I ingested what must have been a ton of MSG. As soon as I finished the meal, I experienced an irregular heart rate over 200 BPM, became very flushed and irritable and realized I was having a severe MSG response. I decided to try taking another 150mg of CoQ10. Within one hour, the symptoms began to subside. In the past, I would have had these symptoms for anywhere from 8 to 48 hours.

By the time I went to bed, I was feeling normal but had an underlying feeling like there was a battle going on within my body.

Today I feel fine. Again I am convinced the CoQ10 came to my rescue.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 3:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing that, Tom, and we are so glad that you are fine now. I have started taking 150mg of the powdered CoQ10 from Beyond-a-Century. Will let you know if it helps.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all others taking CoEnzymeQ10 - Would you please report: 1. the brand and amount you are taking, 2. how long you have been taking it and 3. any differences you have noted.
Tom - Are you still taking the CoQ10 via CoQ10, four 30mg capsules from Beyond a Century? Do you remove it from the gel cap or do you use the powdered form? Thanks for sharing your success story.
Anyone - Is this one of the pills that must be taken with fat? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 6:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ,

I am taking the "Members Mark" brand 50mg softgels purchased at Sam's club for about $18.00 at 120 gelcaps per bottle. I take 3 pills in the morning upon awakening and 3 at 4:00PM for a total of 300mg per day. I take the gelcaps "as is".

Now here's where many of you will cringe at the ingredients, but they don't seem to bother me with the amount of CoQ10 being delivered.

Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Gelatin, Coenzyme Q10, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Yellow Beeswax, Lecithin, Titanium Dioxide, d-Alpha Tocopherol, Annatto, Tumeric.

It is recomended that CoQ10 be taken with fat. Either the soybean oil is sufficient for me or the fact that my "Protein Power" diet which limits carbs and increases fat & protein consumption helps out here.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom - Thanks. Yes, I cringe at the thought of digesting many of the other ingredients but at least there are other vitamin companies, such as Beyond A Century, that offer this with less adders.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I paid about $50.00 for the bottle of powder from Beyond-a-century (.com) and it is good for about 4 to 5 months if 150mg are taken a day. Some take it with olive or flaxseed oil, or even butter or peanut butter (organic).
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now if there was just some supplement that would help me lose weight! That last vacation didn't help much. I have read that flaxseed oil helps the metabolism. I finally think I am taking the right amount of thyroid medication, but it has been a struggle....sluggishness with too little and joint pain with too much, not to mention an increased appetite. Walked 3 miles today, and will work hard at keeping up a routine.
Has anyone had anything good/bad to say about Migraplex? Where is it purchased?
amh
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 2:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Tom,

I have been taking the COQ-10 for awhile. I
increased the intake to two or three caps a day after reading your posts. The past Wed I took a gel cap right before dinner served in a restaurant. I ate a meal I have ordered there many times. I began to have a bad reaction and went right home which took about one hour. I took another gel cap and thought I would miss work the next day. I am happy to say except for some minor body aches I did okay. I am convinced that the COQ-10 has been helping to lessen the symptoms from bad reactions.
amh
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Deb A,

I do not know if flaxseed oil helps with metabolism but I do know it helps with joint pain. I use about two or three tsps on either my vegetables or salad. I also drizzle it on plain red skinned potatoes. It also helps with water build up. If you use it every day you will be able to walk three miles with no aches or pains.

One of the keys is that it can not be heated and should be used within six months. I believe it is better to use the actual oil instead of caps. you may want to start out using just a drizzle with lemon until you become used to the taste of the oil.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 5:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And there is always fresh flaxseed. You must grind it in an electric coffee mill. Has a nice nut like taste and is inexpensive. Keep a week's supply in a small sealed container. Great to add Omega 3 into your diet.
Donna B.
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 7:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,
I was looking for my bottle of MigraPlex which I purchased at GNC. I left it at work so can't list the ingredients. I stopped taking them because I wasn't sure if all the ingredients were safe to take. I did notice I could eat raw tomatoes though when I first tried them. Thanks for the advice (phone call) on which foods to eat today. I appreciate all your great advice and your wonderful book.
DJ
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 2:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

Yesterday the Inquire from Phila had a story about workers getting a serious lung disease from breathing the fumes at a Popcorn plant. The fumes were from the natural flavor mixture that goes into the popcorn. It stated that a few needed lung transplants.....

Roy, did you see the article?

DJ
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 5:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ,

I just moved and only read the suburban paper yesterday. Here's the article:

http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/10/05/national/POPCORN05.htm
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 6:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Roy, IFF is huge company, one of the biggest flavor companies around. A PR disaster for the flavor industry. Lets hope they really find out what happened.....
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all for the info on flaxseed oil. I will try some with my CoQ10.
Glad to help, Donna.
Hi Carol! Glad to hear from you again. How's the move going?
DJ, thanks for the article. It would be good to
follow this story somehow.
Time to go to our farmer's market and load up on winter squash and apples. A tip. Place a whole washed squash, such as butternut or acorn in the microwave oven and cook on high about 5 to 7 minutes. It will be so much easier to cut in half to remove the seeds.
Ruth
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 11:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., Do you puncture a few holes in the squash before putting it in the microwave? I'd love to be able to cut them and remove the seeds more easily. Thanks for the tip!
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 12:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I don't Ruth, but it wouldn't hurt to do that or make a couple of slits. So far no explosions!:)
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb the last thing to go is the PC of course. I'm sitting in the last bit of mess in my old apartment. I'm unplugging now - I'll be out of touch till Tuesday :(
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 6:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re flax seed oil, watch out for the ingredients. I noted today that Trader Joe's flax seed oil has citric acid in it.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's Coenzyme Q10 is inexpensive with no colorings, adders, etc. Is anyone out there using it?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 8:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's Coenzyme Q10 (scroll down to bottom of page):

http://www.traderjoes.com/tj/fearless/va/page1112.html
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those needing fat intake when taking Coenzyme Q10, here is reason for using fresh ground flax seed instead of flax seed oil:

Source: http://www.mercola.com/forms/juicing.htm

Mercola says: "Normally I do not advise the use of flax seed oil as the majority of people I see can't properly digest it. This is easily determined by belching or burping or a sense of nausea after consuming it. If that happens one should not consume the flax, or for that matter, any other food that causes that symptom. This is typically due to the highly perishable oils in flax being oxidized. I have seen this in even the best brands of flax oil on the market. For this reason I can't recommend using flax oil."
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for posting this...I am getting exactly that reaction, MEMorris! I just switched to taking a t. of olive oil with CoQ10. I just purchased the ground flaxseed and will try that just for its benefits.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen flax oil with added citric acid to preserve it, so be aware. If you do use it, refrigerate it, and buy in small quantity. Three things cause oxidation - heat, light, and oxygen. Refrigerate any polyunsaturated oils or fats - including nuts, and seeds. Don't let a good oil go bad.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 11:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you pre-grind the flax seed, do not keep beyond a month to minimize chances of it going bad. To play it safe, I use my batches up within 2 weeks or so and I always do a sniff test of the seed before and after grinding it. Rancid seed has a distinctive smell.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris is right, the smell kind of reminds me of paint thinner.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those taking CoEnzyme Q10 may want to read the following reference. I found this in my notes on supplements that I was collecting to read when I had more time but unfortunately, I didn't note the source! (Also, I do not recall what the #s in parenthesis mean.)

I was especially interested to read that dosages over 100mg may disrupt sleep.

"No serious toxicity associated with the use of coenzyme Q10 has been reported.[reviewed in 2,4,33,56] Doses of 100 milligrams per day or higher have caused mild insomnia in some individuals.[reviewed in 2] Liver enzyme elevation has been detected in patients taking doses of 300 milligrams per day for extended periods of time, but no liver toxicity has been reported.[reviewed in 2] Researchers in one cardiovascular study reported that coenzyme Q10 caused rashes, nausea, and epigastric (upper abdominal) pain that required withdrawal of a small number of patients from the study.[15] Other reported side effects have included dizziness, photophobia (abnormal visual sensitivity to light), irritability,[15] headache, heartburn, and fatigue.[57]
Certain lipid-lowering drugs, such as the "statins" (lovastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin) and gemfibrozil, as well as oral agents that lower blood sugar, such as glyburide and tolazamide, cause a decrease in serum levels of coenzyme Q10 and reduce the effects of coenzyme Q10 supplementation.[58,59, reviewed in 2,60] Beta-blockers (drugs that slow the heart rate and lower blood pressure) can inhibit coenzyme Q10-dependent enzyme reactions.[reviewed in 2] The contractile force of the heart in patients with high blood pressure can be increased by coenzyme Q10 administration.[reviewed in 2] Coenzyme Q10 can reduce the body's response to the anticoagulant drug warfarin.[reviewed in 60] Finally, coenzyme Q10 can decrease insulin requirements in individuals with diabetes.[reviewed in 60]"
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. By the way, I have seen references to Coenzyme Q10 recommended dosages that vary greatly.

Dr. Weil recommends 30-100 mg per day.

In the Protein Power Life Plan for those on statin drugs for cholesterol, 300 mg is recommended until the patient can stop the drugs and at which time, the dosage should be decreased to 100 mg.
cheryl
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 7:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,
I just started useing the beta blocker about 5 days which interferes with coQ10 absorption and need to put my son on it. He reacts to most additivies in supplements. Do you know if there are any additivies in the one from Trader Joes?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 5:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cheryl,

I don't know the ingredients of the Trader Joe's coenzyme Q10 as the link didn't specify. You could check at your local store:

http://www.traderjoes.com/tj/locations/
cheryl
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 1:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris,

Do you have the site that reference to CoQ10 was taken from?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cheryl,

Below is a link to a column by Dr. Weil regarding coenzyme Q10:

http://www.drweil.com/archiveqa/0%2C2283%2C262%2c00.html
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryl –

Re suppliers - In hindsight I should waited to get my Coenzyme Q10 from Beyond A Century who sent me the following reply when I inquired with them a while ago: "You could possibly try the pure powder. It has nothing but the pure Coenzyme Q-10. It is item #203.0. It costs $56.00, which seems very expensive but, you are getting 200x100mg. does in this 20 gram bottle. The other versions of this product contain various material and are incapsulated in gelatin."

Re Dr. Weil’s references re Coenzyme Q10 --- Go to http://www.drweil.com/database/display/0,1412,83,00.html#coen where the general dosage of 30-100 mg a day for is mentioned. Also, there are several other references at the Weil site recommending Coenzyme Q10 for those with multiple sclerosis (which specifies a dosage of 30 mg 2-3 times daily), arrythmia, angina, gum disease, etc. Suggest you go to Weil’s home page at http://www.drweil.com and do search for “Coenzyme Q10” if you’d like to see more info.

I think I found dosages for those on statin drugs for those with high cholesterol in the following book:
Title: The Protein Power Lifeplan /
Author: Eades, Michael R.
Publication Info: New York, NY : Warner Books, c2000.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 7:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS My bottle of Trader Joe’s Coenzyme Q10 says it contains:
Vitamin C (as ascorbyl palminate) – 5mg
Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) – 50 mg
Other ingredients: Cellulose, Gelatin (I don’t know if the gelatin is confined to the capsule which we know should be discarded after removing the contents.) Contains no yeast, sugar, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors. (Cost $7.49 for 30 50mg capsules-- some of their bottles say to take one per day and others say more!)

When you open Trader Joe's gel cap, you can see the contents is an orange color – indicative of its natural state as I found referenced in a book entitled Prescription for Nutritional Healing published by Avery/Penguin Putnam.

Also, from this book I learned:
“A sublingual form containing 50 mg --- available from FoodScience Laboratories is an especially easy to assimilate supplement.”
“Be cautious when purchasing …..Not all products offer it in its purest form. Its natural color is dark bright yellow to orange and it has very little taste in the powdered form.”
“--- is perishable and deteriorates in temperatures above 115F”. Look for a product that includes a small amount of vitamin E, as this helps to perserve.”
“Research has revealed that supplemental CoQ10 has the ability to counter histamine …..”
“…. 75% of people over 50 may be deficient in CoQ10.”
Carol H
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 3:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Counter histamine.... That explains why my allergic reactions are alleviated by taking CoQ10. Thank you, MEMorris. That was puzzling me.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 5:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H & others - Since my digestive reactions earlier this week to whatever, I have had pain under my eye (sinus pain?) that radiated down into my jaw and side of my neck.

Had this many times before -- One nose specialist says it is from deviated septum that requires operation. My neurologist and a different nose specialist giving 2nd opinion recommend I live with it by taking migraine/pain meds. But, I find neither acceptable especially since I only started getting bouts of this after becoming sensitive to MSG.

Anyway, after 3 days of pain, no sleep and no relief from usual remedies (aspirin, tea, etc.), I took an extra 50 mgs of CoQ10. W/i 30 minutes, immediate relief w/ my nose running & the pain leaving! WOW! Perhaps, a placebo effect? Lucky timing? Or perhaps, it was the CoQ10 working w/ histamines? My hunch is the later.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine too, MEMorris. I have had very few sinus infections since I no longer have swelling of my face. If CoQ10 helps calm down histamine, consequently inflammation, that should help relieve sinus symptoms.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page