Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Amy's organic soup

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Amy's organic soup « Previous Next »

Valerie
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 10:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the foods I miss the most is soup and I live in a dorm so unfortunately I cannot make any from scratch. I recently found a soup that I think might be safe. It is AMy's organic lentil soup. The ingredients are:
filtered water, organic lentils, organic celery, organic onions, organic carrots, organic potatoes, organic extra virgin olive oil, sea salts, and spices.

I am concerned about the spices and am scared to try it because the last time I had soup I had a terrible reaction. Has anyone ever had this soup? DO you know if it's safe? Thanks!
DJ
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 11:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Valerie,

I have tried both Amy's Lentil, and Shari's soups with no reaction.....and I am very sensitive. However, let me caution you, what works for me, may not work for you! I missed soup alot as well, that is why I finally decided to give the above a chance. Guess what, had so much, I am now sick of soup! Good luck to you..

DJ
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If in doubt, contact information for Amy's is at:

http://www.amyskitchen.com/

Shari's web site is:

http://www.shariannsorganic.com/

These and other health food companies are at:

http://www.vegparadise.com/foodmakers.html
Deb S
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 3:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also had luck with the Amy's organic lentil soup. I have not tried having it more than once in a week, but I do devour the whole can in one sitting. :) YMMV (=your mileage may vary)
Judy T
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S: I love it! YMMV. How often we've said to each other, something like, "well, you might be able to eat the same, or more or less than I, but this is what I can eat, etc.....". Hey, YMMV. I'm stealing it. Fun.
Valerie
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I emailed the address on the website and they responded by saying that they have a lot of mail and will respond to me as soon as they can. But I am excited that you guys said you could eat it without a problem. I think I'll try it and see what happens. Are there any other kinds of soups that you can eat? DJ mentioned Shari's organic soup - what kinds of those are safe? Are there any other safe kinds that Amy's Organic makes?
Deb S
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 7:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T - You're not stealing it from me; I got it from the MCS/CI-Exile email group referenced here in another thread. I think it may be widely used on the Internet in chatrooms and such.

Valerie - I read the ingredients on several Amy's and Shari's soups, and the Amy's Lentil was the only one I was brave enough to try. Beware of anything based on chicken broth or stock, due to naturally occurring glutamate freed up by prolonged cooking. I seem to recall seeing "potato starch" on a couple of chicken based soups, not sure how safe that is either.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 1:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to have no problems with potato starch. It is commonly used during the Jewish holidays. There are no restrictions on the use of monosodium glutamate in kosher foods, however, so be careful:

http://www.kashrus.org/kosher/chem.html
Valerie
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 2:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the response I got from Amy's:

Hello, Valerie...thanks for your email. The word "spices" on our boxes literally
means just that: herbs and spices. We do not hide things like MSG in that word.
Unfortunately, I'm not privy to which spices are in each meal. Only the Executive
Chef and the Research and Development Department have that information but I can
assure you that we do not add chemicals, preservatives, hormones, or additives to our
food.

So it sounds like their lentil soup is ok to eat!
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She doesn't know what's in it but she knows what's not in it? Research and Development Department? I worked in one of those. I guess I'd feel better if they just called it a "recipe test kitchen". Again, be careful.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 9:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't trust Amy's. I have eaten their soups and had reactions! Beware. Carol is right.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 11:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had reactions to Shari's although I was hoping for it to be otherwise! I won't try Amy's (although my husband just loves them) because of the possibility of naturally occuring glutamate as Deb S. mentioned.
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I mentioned above, I have eaten a whole can of Amy's organic lentil soup on 3 or 4 occasions (although to be extra cautious, not more than once in a week), and did not react to it. It was a little bland so I added salt and pepper to taste. Because lentils are so small, it doesn't take much prolonged cooking until they're done, which may explain why they are safer than, say, cooked beans or even split peas. (I recall seeing that peas are naturally high in glutamate.) I have not tried any other Amy's soups or any of Shari's soups.
Valerie
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 4:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the lentil soup last night and I definately had a reaction to something I ate. I haven't quite pinpointed all the foods that cause me trouble yet so I don't know if it was the soup or something else I ate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page