Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I love MSG!

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » I love MSG! « Previous Next »

skelly
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what the deal is with the headaches etc, but I sure love the taste of MSG. When I bite into a flavored chip I can always tell if it's MSG, right off the bat. I can also pick out Disodium Phosphate! Isolated in like 5 different processed foods! That's great stuff too, like in FunYuns! But unlike MSG, it is not available in your local supermarket labeled "DSP", so you have to read the labels on Mrs. Dash "Tangy Zest" to weed it out. I don't know why they don't just bottle it.

A 1992 report from the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association stated that glutamate in any form has not been shown to be a "significant health hazard."

And it sure is delicious and savory! But if it makes you get itchy don't eat any!
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a professor at a state run research college, and I have heard recently that they have isolated a gene that makes people more susceptible to MSG. There is a veiled reference to it in this article: Gene.html
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 6:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a link to your anthem:

http://php.indiana.edu/~jbmorris/LYRICS/junk.food.junkie
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 7:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skelly, may I ask, if MSG and Disodium Phosphate don't bother you, why have you taken time to find and participate in a site like this???? I only ask, because in the last 3 years, I have received only two contradictory e mail, and their e mail addresses went something like: "flavor maker @..."
As for your reference to the 1992 report, please check site www.truthinlabeling.org to find out why most pro MSG reports are bogus. By the way, there have been more recent reports that support what we say. In addition to your warning not to eat it if we itch...we should add, have seizures, Migraine headaches, anxiety attacks, other neurological disorders, heart palpitations, hives, ADD, and more. Check out the topic: "Children, A.D.D to Asthma" on our www.msgmyth.com homepage. These are not isolated accounts. Do you have any idea how many other children are suffering because MSG IS "such a big deal"? Kids suffering from ADD(can't focus or learn) and ADHD (hyperactivity) are lining the halls to receive their Ritalin medications in every school in America. I hear from concerned educators and parents constantly. It's an epidemic, just as juvenile depression and behavioral problems are. (Let's see how much more school violence happens before we begin to examine some of the perpetrators' diets...most, so far have been on Ritalin or other mind altering drugs)What's the one thing that we all have in common, that crosses every socio/economic barrier? It's the highly processed, brightly colored, and chemically enhanced food we eat (well, that you eat) every day... and most of us were unaware for years what it was doing to our brains (yes, we loved it too, once) until the symptoms became unbearable. I sincerely hope you don't wake up one day with your heart racing, your head pounding and your stomach aching so bad you want to die. It can start just like that...healthy one day, chronically ill the next.
Deb S
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 1:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hear hear, Deb!!!
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 2:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SKELLY.................WHAT A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!You obivously have no idea what you are talking about............take it on down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 2:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I spelled obviously wrong............must have been the msg in my Pepsi!!!!!!!!!
Carol H
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, you must be joking. The Onion is a joke newspaper. It's like the April Fools edition of the college neswpaper at Rutgers once a year. If the Onion is where you get your research from, God help your educational institution. Beware the humorless, they don't know satire from science.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, Carol. There's a kernel of truth in some of the outlandish stories on that site:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3615/mountain_dew_users.html
Candy Berry
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 12:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WARNING TO SKELLY

I was hooked on Pringles Chips (particularly Sour Cream & Chives containing added MSG) prior to reacting to MSG added to foods. I now react so badly to added MSG that it could kill me (anaphylaxis). Now I can't eat any added MSG or many natural foods like tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, most cheeses, peas, corn, grapes. It is amazing how limited my diet is now because I can't eat these natural foods.

I hope you never do end up reacting to MSG like I do, but if you do, don't say you weren't warned.

from Candy
Katie
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 11:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is such a shame that some folks like to add posts that are frivilous and contriversal...to get some sort of kick out of all the attention it brings....like the one about liking the taste of MSG and the link to the amusing spoof on the "Gene" connection... So...I bite...and I am very much not amused over the MSG problems...Right now....I am paying for an overnight stay in the hospital..(almost $5000.00)...because of the bad reaction ...(and dehydration)....(thank goodness....my doctor of over 20 years..decided after 3 bad reactions in 3 months...to try using the new medications for Migraine ...which did Stop the reaction...I am so thankful...for it is so fearful to be so ill and not know when it will go away...2-3-days...etc..but this just reinforces the FACT...that if one had not had the reaction..they are not sympathetic..almost seem to think it is all in our minds...even though we are definitely ill...Thanks for all the hints...and suggestions about what might be "safe"...but each one of us will still have to carefully try new things..and also some things that used to be safe...are sometimes not anymore..
Katie
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is a shame, Katie, but be assured that the people who visit the site and make such comments are either ignorant of the facts, or have ties to the glutamate industry in some way. An interesting story is the one Jack Samuels has shared about the man and wife team who developed AuxiGro. Jack contacted him and shared lots of info about MSG (glutamate). This man was so consumed by the glory (and bucks) that resulted from his "creation", that he had the ignorance to say something back like, " my wife's fibromyalgia has nothing to do with the fact that she handled glutamate for __years!". People believe what they WANT to believe, if it makes them happy, popular, or rich....no matter what the cost. So sorry about your recent reaction. How terrible those headaches can be! Please be careful about some of the drugs. Some have some serious side effects. I've even had calls from worried people whose spouses had had mild heart attacks due to certain Migraine drugs being used now....one was from Imitrex(sp?).
Jay
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 8:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't be so hard on Skelly; my wife loves Chinese food and seems to think MSG will never bother her other than make her thirsty. Like many allergens, MSG and glutamates will not cause a reaction initially, it will take many exposures and then WHAM! At least Skelly has been to this site and is now aware of what might be causing future symptoms.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page