Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

New "study" on allergies to MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » New "study" on allergies to MSG « Previous Next »

Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 6:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NoMSG members received a mailing from NoMSG Executive Director Kathleen Frazier Schwartz warning of a recent questionable "scientific study" showing the "safety" of MSG. Well, it's already showing up in the popular media, much to the delight, I am sure, of the glutamate and food-processing industries who undoubtedly sponsored the study. The "glutes" are capitalizing on this widespread misunderstanding about MSG intolerance vs. allergy. Perhaps we should be more careful when we're tempted to say we're allergic to MSG in order to be taken seriously.

In the March 2001 issue of "health" magazine, on p. 32 there's a little column so small you could almost miss it, called "Health Buzz." It has a "Thumbs Up" section and a "Thumbs Down" section. The first item under "Thumbs Up" is "MSG: It may be time to rethink your fear of lo mein. A new study suggests that MSG allergies may not really exist." (That's all it says.) Apparently, the news media is confusing allergic reactions, which are truly rare, with the much more common adverse reactions, which are due to intolerance and/or ingesting a toxic substance.

But consider the source. Under "Thumbs Down" it says "pop music: Is Granny 'N Sync? Researchers say that seniors who fall for Top 40 hits may be showing signs of dementia." (Poor taste, maybe...)

I will give credit where it's due, though. In the same issue, editor-in-chief Barbara Paulsen (Just Ask Me column) recommends house plants to clean the air of "traces of chemicals like formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene, which can seep into the air from cleaning products, dry-cleaned clothes, and your ventilation system." She adds "[s]ome scientists think that when low levels of these chemicals combine, they can contribute to an allergy-like syndrome called multiple chemical sensitivity." She cites a NASA experiment that showed that "areca palms cleared a room of 99 percent of its formaldehyde in just four hours." I've gotta get me some of those, for home and office.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 9:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S., can you post an address (e-mail and snail mail) of the health editor or editor of that health magazine so that we can write them and voice our opinion of their opinion? The pen is a good weapon and we need to take it up more when we have an opportunity. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 10:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is the address of the contact page from Health Magazine's web site:

http://www.health.com/cgi-bin/current/general/contact.cgi
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 11:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy. Now let's take some time to let them know what we think! PLEASE!!!!! If we don't take a stand, it's one for the glutes.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 4:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent off an e-mail to Health magazine and hope that they print it.
Melissa
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just emailed Health magazine as well - the more of us that can do so, the more they might pay attention.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 4:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hugs for Roy and Melissa, too! You guys are terrific. As I just posted, this could be a truly effective way to make some headway. So all of us...let's look out for any media mention of MSG and act upon it as a group.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had posted this under Orthorexia, but it belongs here. Be aware also in that "study" with MSG and allergies, they used foods high in vitamins as carriers for their drug. Vitamin C is not only a natural anti-histamine, but foods high in B6 and C would cause the MSG to revert to GABA, thus mitigating the results of the test by reducing the amounts of MSG present. If they didn't know this, then why does Auxein spray MSG on vitamin C and B6-containing crops like potatoes to get a GABA - growth enhancing effect? They are trying to deceive. It is just too obvious this time. Another thought - what if the reason why vitamin C has been touted as an anti-histamine and cold symptom remedy is because it turns glutamate which would activate our histamine response, into GABA. Interesting.....
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 5:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just sent my e-mail to "health" magazine. I included this wabsite and also Jack Samuel's.
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 9:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have sent an e-mail to health magazine, and included the article about the new study that appears on NoMSG's main page. I also directed them to this site and www.truthinlabeling.org.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 8:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go, girls!!!!Thank you so much. We are now officially, pro-active!
Carol, you brought up some important points. It's just like the 1992 (year?) test in which the placebos were gelcaps (bad), and were filled with aspartame (worse). How can any test be accurate unless some unbiased scientists, not subsidized by some food company, did a test that ran for several days, on several groups of people? (expensive!) Dr. John Olney refuses to test humans, and he's the expert who has been sounding the alarm for years and done tests on animals since the 50's. What he discovered in those tests should convince the most skeptical scientist. I just heard the story about the woman from England who learned about the method the people in India were using to inoculate against small pox many years ago. As a patriot, she returned home to share her discovery with doctors there. Guess what happened. Yep, they called her crazy, and it took 50 years for the western world to accept what she had tried to share. Feels like that most of the time for us, doesn't it?
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 8:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention I e mailed Health magazine, too. Still working on one to Woman's Day. Thanks are just as important as complaints in this effort.
Laurie M
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 8:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent my e-mail to Health magazine yesterday. Hope they get the message.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please read the following and try to help them!!

"We have a chance to block (in California) use of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in a pesticide, fungicide, fertilizer spray called AuxiGro. Our success in California will depend, in part, on mounting a strong objection to a June 21, 2001 Final Rule passed by the EPA. I am writing to ask you to help us by encouraging friends, relatives, colleagues, and people with allergies to write to the EPA. And, most important, for you, yourself, to write about our efforts. A copy of one form of our message follows. You will find detail at

http://www.msgfacts.net

Please let me know that you have seen my message.

Warmest regards,

Adrienne Samuels
adieonly@aol.com

PLEASE ACT, POST, AND/OR CIRCULATE"
GerryBush
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats

http://www.msgfacts.net
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 11:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is Adrienne Samuels?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 12:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrienne is the wife of Jack Samuels, of the Truth In Labeling consumer advocate group. She has a Ph.D. in research and is very active in the cause to fight excitotoxins, especially glutamate. Their site is www.truthinlabeling.org.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just learned that FDA is holding a meeting on allergy and today is the deadline to register.

Might want to pass that along.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page