Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Going on vacation

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Going on vacation « Previous Next »

Valerie
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 8:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a college student and I am going to Panama City Beach for spring break next week. I am going for a conference that is sponsored by the campus organization Campus Crusade for Christ. There are about 50 students going and we are taking busses down there so I won't have a car. We are staying for a week and the hotel we are staying at has kitchens in the room. I am MSG sensitive and have terrible reactions after eating out, especially fast food which is probably what most people are going to be eating. I am looking for suggestions of some foods that I can take with me to eat during the week. I don't know if there's going to be a grocery store within walking distance and I have a thirteen hour bus ride so I cant really bring anything that needs refrigeration. I am really excited about this trip and I don't want to spend the week stuck in my hotel room! Any suggestions you could give me would be great. Thanks!
Anon
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 10:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the drive rice cakes and nut butters (that means a jar however) will hold you between stops. For me raisins, seeds and nuts (can make yourself a granola mix)and a few baggies of rolled oats with small rice milk cartons help and aren't too obvious and make a decent breakfast in the room before breakfast out, because that'll be basically impossible at a fast food place. For lunch and dinner I have had good luck with salad bars at Wendy's fast foods and some pizza places, but it's always a gamble.
Take some sesame seed and other crackers. If you can do wheat there are Windmill cookie, and health food stores have ginger snaps and chocolate cookies. To get you there in the vehicle you can take some fresh stuff like a hard boiled egg and carrots and other veggies and fruits (that won't last long) and some on this board can eat Lays Potato chips. Peanuts are ok for some. Apples can usually be picked up at corner stores and some gas stations even though they are pricey.
With a kitchen in the room, you'll probably need a foray to a local store on the first day and then can eat pretty much like at home I would guess. It is never easy. Also if you can do wheat, then pita pockets (they last a longer time than bread it seems) and canned tuna (the safe stuff) and canned chicken make good sandwiches. You probably won't get the veggies you should during the trip unless you make a concerted effort.
It's just a tough deal.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 7:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie, if you have a small to medium sized cooler, you can pack it with frozen meat that you can eat, and it should stay pretty cold or even frozen if you add some small bottles of frozen water. You can cook these up for meals later. I take chicken breasts and hamburger this way. I also take them cooked already and munch on them cold.
Kavli rye crackers are good with almond butter. Anon. packs like I do for a trip. You can take a few lemons and a small bottle of olive oil and sprinkle them on your salads. Orange juice is good for this, too. There are some safer dry sweetened cereals found in health food stores that are good eaten plain as a snack. There's a kids' cereal called Gorilla cereal, I think, that is just corn and sugar..like corn pops. But do check labels first.
Judy T
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 6:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie: This is difficult. You can make all sorts of accommodations to get the food you can eat, however, it is the social and the near obsessing that gets me down once in a while. Get what you need in the dorm or hotel room, then join the others and get something on your plate, even if you don't eat it! You'd be surprised how others don't really notice that you moved the food around and pitched it. To keep it easy on the pocketbook, I do usually get the smallest side salad at the fast foods and depending on where it is, eat it or not. Water and lemon juice does work. The baked potato (plain) at Wendy's works and if you can find a local hangout sometimes they offer curly fries that are made by the staff. Once you find a local mom and pop, you can get familiar with the cook/owner sometimes and then at least get a hamburger or plain noodle that works for you. Not the healthiest fare, this eating in public with groups, but it's the social part of 'breaking bread' together that is really important. I always tote some Lays potato chips and peanuts in crowd situations in public. Gals have a better deal with purses/totes than guys do. A banana or homemade granola in there helps stave off the hypoglycemia too. My thoughts are with you. I take courses at the U and take my own tea bags to the coffee house and get hot water. Other than that and apples there is not one thing I can have. Bummer. But the hustle/bustle is still fun.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 2:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vacation can be a very bad time for one who is msg sensitive. I am presently in Cancun, Mexico and my body is covered with the msg rash.
Unfortunately I am unable to get home for a few more days due to the terrorist situation.
Anyone who goes to Mexico had better be extremely careful what they eat.
I have examined the ingredients in some of the foods and found things like glucose, which I believe is nothing more than high fructose corn syrup, and it is in everything. additionally I have found natural flavorings, etc. My conclusion is travelers to Mexico had better beware of msg in its many forms!
shirley
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well DebA's book is in Amazon.com and hopefully the message will get around.

Sorry, you are sick. I thought Mexico was beautiful? I guess it can ruin a vacation when you cant eat anything? How do the people look around you? Sometimes you can tell when others are effected by msg?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page