Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Misdiagnosed as celiac for14 years - ...

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Misdiagnosed as celiac for14 years - long « Previous Next »

PsychDoc06
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is my first post and you have no idea how relieved I am to find this site. Just a month ago I was tested genetically to "prove" I had celiac as my reactions to gluten were too severe to do a challenge so I was given the diagnosis by default. Now with the genetic typing, my gastro said she could positively diagnose me .... and the results came back with a less than .5% change I could have celiac. Now what, I thought.

A friend of mine wanted to know the other names for MSG as I knew it caused me severe problems - and I found this sight. Now I am wondering if it has been MSG all along.

I did have classic celiac symptoms. weight loss, foul stools, abdominal pain - with scads of tests to find out what it wasn't. When my doc put me gluten free - I got better. So - it was assumed I had celiac after becoming malnourished. Four years later I had an anaphylactic response to gluten - or so I thought. Convulsions. And it was still considered celiac. Then I noticed MSG gave me the same reaction. Reading here, I find the unsolvable answer to my mysterious gall bladder problems and bornholmes diagnosis. My health is heading down hill right now and no one knows why - except I DON'T have celiac - according to the test. Headaches, chills, feelings like my throat is swelling and I'm gonna choke, being tired all the time. Difficult time fighting off infections, but never any "culprit" other than low B-12 being found. I am going to order the book. I look at the "gluten free" food I am eating and realize how much msg is involved. Heck - even my antibiotics are in gelatin capsules. (I emptied my tonight's dose into mashed up banana. I've been using a crockpot lately. I LOVE parmesean cheese. I've been eating way more veggies - especially baby carrots cuz they are "easy." <sigh>

I'm hoping I've found an answer here. I've eagerly read posts on this site and links to others. I need the book to see what I CAN safely eat to see if I can get myself well. I NEED to be well. I am 53 and have care of my 3 year old granddaughter and 8 year old grandson since their mother died this year. Oh, did I mention lots of stress???

You guys seem like a great bunch - and thanks Deb for your work and your story. I'm gonna post back to the celiac list I am on to let them know about this - some of the others there are "atypical" celiacs - and I wonder about MSG for them.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was tested for celiac disease and had two markers for it - one of them an allergy to gluten, but I did not have celiac disease, either. I feel so much better avoiding wheat. So many MSG sensitive folks seem to be wheat sensitive. The high glutamate content is probably why. Many also feel better avoiding dairy. You may want to also check out the website http://www.dogtorj.com. The site is by a vet who was diagnosed with celiac and began to notice animals he treated were beginning to come down with more "people" diseases since they started eating processed foods. He feels that wheat and glutamic acid are detrimental to both us and our pets. Because of his website, I now feed my cats food that does not have wheat in it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page