Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Time to make a change!

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Time to make a change! « Previous Next »

jeanne
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 6:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am new to this discussion board and just want to say how happy I am to have finally made the connection between my migraines and body aches to MSG! What a great and supportive site here!
I made the connection thru an internet search on MSG the weekend before Thanksgiving. I was really dreading the Thanksgiving meal just knowing that something I was eating was always making me sick. I could just see another trip to the ER for a killer migraine was coming--yet I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I have been to 7 different Doctors in 2003 and have had numerous perscriptions written for pain relief, migraine prevention and gastric distress. One of the Drs. I saw was a neurologist who mentioned in passing that MSG was a trigger for those who had migraines. I have been very careful to read labels and not ingest a food with "MSG" on the label. Little did I know I was ingesting it in nearly every food I ate! Here it is nearly a year after the comment that I decided to look up MSG. I read this site for about 2 hours initially and kept saying to myself "thats how I feel", "that happens to me" and "so thats why I feel the way I do."
I am in the process of making the change to eating all the right foods--the book is ordered and I am having many more good days than bad now!
I have told lots of people about the connection I've made between MSG and sickness and have been met with alot of curiosity, looks of 'really?' and 'tell me more!' I am all for getting the word out about MSG--I have been telling lots of people out there and referring them to this site. Thanks again for this great site!
Ann Luhcs
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jeane;
I am very happy that you found out what was causing all the trouble. And, that you're smart enough and disciplined enough to make these kinds of changes. I know what kind of work it takes to stay properly fed and healthy, and admire people who can and will do it.

I am currently writing my msg story in a way that will be entertaining and interesting to people, I hope. I have found that there is just too much information for people we meet, and if they aren't having the specific troubles we had, they loose the kind of interest it takes to make these hard changes. So, I am trying to fit it into a story that captures the interest while educating.

Good Fortune
Ann
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeanne, we are so happy that you are one of the lucky ones who has made the MSG connection. And thank you for taking the time to share your story here and with others, as Ann is also doing. Sometimes we think that we aren't really reaching people, but we are really planting some good seeds. I heard from a chiropractor yesterday from Minnesota. She wanted to order several books to offer to her patients. I asked where she heard about them and our site. She said one of her patients brought her a book, and this doctor said it was excellent...that many of the people she sees have been to all sorts of doctors, and have tried numerous drugs, to no avail..they often have the symptoms for MSG toxicity...see what one person willing to share info has started?
jeanne
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann and Deb A--Thanks for responding to my very first post. I have alot of questions so I may keep you and others busy. The keyword search is a great tool that I have already used quite a bit. There is something I haven't seen addressed yet and maybe it is just unique to myself. I have trouble--headache and stomache problems, with some food items that I cook one night, refrigerate or freeze, and then reheat and eat. Most of the time it has been the very next day that I eat some of it and it causes the problems. It hasn't ever happened with proteins such as ground beef or chicken just rice, pasta and some vegetables. Can anyone help me understand what is going on? Since making the discovery of the MSG link I always cook with organics. Maybe I should look on the bright side--I will rarely have to eat leftovers! I'd really appreciate any enlightening on this--Thanks
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeanne, headache can be caused by tyramine in addition to MSG. People taking certain medications like MAO inhibitors are often told to avoid tyramine. Tyramine content of food increases as it is fermented or aged. People avoiding tyramine are told to avoid eating leftovers as well as beer, wine, and cheese.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page