Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Making the connection

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Making the connection « Previous Next »

Carolyn Turbett
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 5:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.
Thank you so much for your book and all your work. I was given your book by my sister about 9 mo ago and finally started getting into it and eating right. Its been two weeks and I havent had a headache in two weeks. I was having them daily before that. I have had fibromyalgia for almost 20 years and have hit an alltime low taking narcotics for pain, pills to sleep and lots of vitamins(which I now know have msg in them.) I hope I can learn how to eat the right foods because I am have such brain fog right now I can hardly type. I have been making my own bread, etc. but mabe it will take a while to start working. I am so happy to get all this info from all of you here and I thank you.
sincerely, Carolyn T
scturbett@cs.com
Jackye
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carolyn,
You are getting off to a great start! I am now six months past making the connection. Only this past couple of weeks have I really felt good. I have participated in this discussion group, and followed Deb's book. It truly does work. Patience is not one of my stronger virtues...but it has paid off. My reactions are much fewer, and are much more brief. You have wonderful experienced resources here...I am not one of them, but the others can help you loads.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carolyn. I am thrilled to hear that your headaches are stopping. That was proof enough for me years ago that MSG was the source of my many years of suffering. Just keep up the great job you are doing and it will get easier. You will be able to avoid even more serious neurological disorders down the road if you can continue to learn and to eat well. Does your sister know your're doing better? Did you receive my e mail? I'm so glad you found this discussion board. The people here are wonderful. If you don't get an answer, try posting again. Summer is a very busy time for all of us, so we may not be checking the board as often as we usually do. Mike and I were just in a car accident, and so now I have to go to physical therapy. I am hoping it won't cut into my schedule too much, because this work here is so important. Take care.
carolyn turbett
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackye, Thanks for the welcome. I have already learned so much from all of you.

Deb A., Thanks for your answer. I will give my sister Amy a call to tell her I'm doing better. I did get your email- thank you so much for your support. I get discouraged a little and am tired a lot now so it helps to know its going to get better. I'm so sorry about your accident. I hope it wasn't too bad. It reminded me of the way my fibromyalgia started- 16 yrs ago- with a bad rear-ender. Actually, in retrospect, if I had known about msg, mabe I would have healed from it.

anyway, I'll be praying for you.
sincerely, Carolyn T
GuyB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. This is my first post. I just found this site today. I have suffered with "killer insomnia" for 8 years. 7 MDs have been utterly useless in identifying a cause. Then I found the Blaylock book on Excitotoxins; I've tried to alter my diet with some success, but I continue to mess up anyway. My symptoms are purely sleep-related, but I think it is MSG that is slowly killing me. Glad to have found other people that understand!
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Guy. Welcome to a great discussion board. I have been on the Test Yourself diet for 3 weeks now. I had insomnia for years too and took Tylenol PM for it. . . every night. Part of the ringing in my head, I hear now, is from the Tylenol, and Excedrin for headaches. I am sleeping better now. I did have some problems last night but I believe it was from the Cherry Pie (dextrose, "enriched" whole wheat and Modified Food Starch) I had for dessert. I knew better but ate it anyway. It wasn't even that good. I will say no thank you next time.

I am not perfectly MSG free but am better and more aware now. I know it will take awhile to be normal again, if that is possible. I read Deb's book, read labels and try to stand firm before my family and scoffers. Each day gets easier to stay away from the MSG.

I enjoy reading all the posts, old and new. It is so nice to know I am not crazy or alone.

I look forward to reading about your progress.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GuyB, I really feel for you, because insomnia is one of my worst symptoms-and the rapid heartrate I also get along with it. When it happens, and I have the never ending night with all the symptoms, I lie there and think, HOW can this happen?!?! Some nights I will go to sleep for an hour, only to wake up with the symptoms. Other nights, as soon as I lie down, I am hyper awake, and up all night.
Nothing really works for me except avoiding all MSG sources, ALL DAY LONG. After 5 plus years of attempting to deal with his, and since finding this board, those nights are more rare, thankfully.
People here post some of the things which work for them--supplements, advil, benadryl, etc. I use a beta blocker, atenolol, to slow my heart rate some, and xanax fo sleep-both doctor prescribed.
I HATE HATE HATE the reactions and I try and avoid them at all costs. It certainly means never eating fast food or dining out, no indulgences, no alcohol, and none of the msg laden foodds. When I get it accidentally, I beat myself up all night for not recognizing it in advance. (and sometimes it is a result of a 'safe' food being changed and me not checking a label) What I can never understand is why it tends to hit me one or two hours into sleeping--the sleeping for those couple hours tends to make it worse.
If I am tempted to eat something which is contaminated, I think ahead, "Do I really want to be up all night, in that awful state of insomnia and panic, and feel utterly miserable, like a bad hangover, all day tomorrow?" I imagine myself in that state, and how it will feel. hour by hour. That is then enough for me to say no to the food.
Another thing I can say, it that when you avoid all those awful foods, if you eat one, you will realize how horrible they really do taste. I can remember eating processed cookies, for example. to me, they were dry and fake tasting. And one was never enough, because they made my tongue and taste buds 'numb'---and so my brain would say, "eat another, because you really can't taste that." Hard to explain, but a 'real' cookie doesn't to that to my mouth.
Anyway, I hope you get Deb's book, and come here for discussions and answers. It is still a solitary way to eat and exist within a family and a group of friends. But alone at night in your bed, it is nice to be able to sleep.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa, funny you mentioned commercial cookies. I was at the grocery store yesterday and they were giving out free shortbread heart cookies. I took a bite and the flavor was fine for a second, and then this fake, chemical flavor hit me. I chucked it. I could taste that off flavor for hours. As Lisa says, this does get better, and the first year, we were all on a learning curve replacing old habits with better ones. I felt more alone in this at first and isolated from people and friends who gathered to eat. But as you say, these killer reactions are not worth it. I throw parties and gatherings for family and friends now, being sure to have safe items that I can enjoy as well. Others can bring their bad items, but at least I am never tempted now. So many people we know are now MSG sensitive, but educating them took years in some cases. The more you share this information, the more your circle of MSG friends will widen. It's best not to preach, just share your own experience WHEN ASKED! Don't waste your breath and energy when the eyes of someone glazes over and you get THE LOOK. Just continue to be a good friend and be sure to eat before going to gatherings, bringing a plate of food to share or a stash of your own safe treats.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., What do you say when at a gathering and someone sees that you are apparently on a different diet than they and asks you if you are "on a diet" or "if there is something you can't eat"?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I act flabberghasted and say, "the question for me should be, "What CAN I eat?". I then explain that I have too many "allergies" to mention, Including food additives that are in EVERYTHING, like MSG". I then assure them that I either find something at these gatherings that I can eat and load up on that or I bring my own snacks. I tell them just being with friends who don't worry about me and what I'm able to eat makes me happy to be here..."so don't worry...I'm enjoying myself very much." If they want to know more, I tell them that I have to avoid most foods that come out of a bag, can, or bottle, and make my meals from fresh foods that aren't processed..and that it's worth it to avoid migraines or other symptoms I don't mind sharing. At church or social functions, I bring a dish or dessert, but eat something first. I also have a treat waiting at home to help me avoid being tempted by pretty, but almost always deadly foods there. And I have business cards with my logo, web site address, etc., to hand out if they seem to want to know more.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. Good idea about business cards. I think I will try to make a few (non-business cards) with this and Carol's website on it to pass out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page