Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Great story to share

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Great story to share « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This gentleman sent his story to me yesterday and gave me permission to share it in the hopes that it will help others who visit this site.
"Hello, Debbie***I just found your website today, and I decided that I should write you and tell of my own experiences with KILLER MSG. I say that because I'm positive that I probably would not be here today if I hadn't finally realized that MSG was causing my severe migraine headaches. I had several times contemplated suicide because it just was too painful to keep living. The only reasons I didn't were my four beautiful children and my faith in God.

My troubles started in the early '70s, when I started getting severe migraines once in a great while. I didn't think much of it, but as time went on, I began getting more and more (I now believe this was because more and more manufacturers were beginning to add MSG in their pruducts.) migraines, until I was rarely, if ever without a headache. I went to several doctors, including a neurologist, and received as many diagnoses and prescriptions that caused a plethora of other problems. It all culminated in 1991, when I went to Marquette, Michigan, as a baritone in the Port Huron, MI, Schubert Male Chorus, to attend Sing 2000. That Friday evening, we ate in an Italian restaurant and I ordered Fettuccini Alfredo. During the meal one of the men asked me about my headaches, and I told him that I was beginning to suspect MSG. He commented that I would probably find out for sure because the meal probably had lots of MSG in it. I asked the waitress, who went to the kitchen to check and told me that the cook used MSG in the dressing he put on the noodles, and also that the sauce I poured over it had MSG in it. That night all the several choruses got together for an informal sing around the motel's pool. At about 10:00, I asked if they would like to hear a story about Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I sang the first two verses, but then when I got to the story part, it felt as if someone had stabbed the back of my neck and up into my head with a white-hot poker. I staggered and almost collapsed, but I was able, finally, to go on with the story, missing the whole first paragraph. That weekend, I lived (or should I say, existed?) on extra strength Excedrin, which at least dulled the pain. When I got back to Port Huron,MI, my home at the time, I ended up in the ER and got shot with demerol and Visterol. I had that headache for 31 days, during which I went to the ER twice more. The third visit, I was checked for drug usage because I was coming back so often. That was the first time I had been so sick for so long. It was also when I began to eliminate all MSG from my diet. I also found that Aspartame, chocolate, and red wines would give me headaches, although not as severe as MSG. These headaches would only last about two days.
At this time, I am 70 years old, and headache free the majority of the time. I try to avoid foods that have 4 and 5 syllable additives whenever possible. Consequently, I don't eat in places where they can't (or won't) check the ingredients for me. Wait persons who do check always get a generous tip. I have become a good cook, and I make all my own bread. If I get MSG now, it's because I'm not careful enough, the food isn't labeled properly, or the waiter or waitress doesn't check well enough.
Sincerely, Bruce A. Kelchner"
Thank you, Bruce.
Kevin
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce,
That was a great story.
I only hope that I have your wit and vigor as I get older.
Your an inspiration.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 4:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce yours is the first that I have heard of someone like me having migranes from msg and related products. Thank you so much I hate that it happened to you but it is so nice to know sometimes that it isn't just me, and that I'm not crazy you know sometimes how some people will treat you. So Thanks again and may God Bless You!!! Doris (dorisck@bellsouth.net)
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 11:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can personally attest to the strange effects of MSG. I had a doctor's appointment Thursday at 3:00 P.M., and since I knew that my doctor wanted to do a LIPID profile I decided to eat about 9:00 P.M. Wednesday night and fast until the doctor's appointment. I ordered some Chicken Lo Mein take-out, and asked for "NO MSG". I mixed the Chicken Lo Mein with some wild and seasoned rice of my own, which I always do.

When I awoke the next morning my forearms and face felt very flushed. I drove to the doctor's appointment, but even in an air-conditioned car I was sweating. When I finally saw the doctor she commented how "warm" I looked. She took my blood pressure and was shocked! It was 180/120!! I do not have a history of high blood pressure, yet follow-up measurements consistently showed blood pressure readings over 40 higher than my normal, both diastolic and systolic. While lying on the table trying to relax my face felt like it was going to explode! And to top it off, I had apparently lost about 5 pounds in one day! They gave me a prescription for atenolol to help with the blood pressure.
When I got home I was starving, so I ate the rest of the Chinese/rice mixture. I then went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription, and went to dance practice. At the dance studio I took the atenolol and then practiced. While practicing I felt that my face was flushed the whole time, and I was definitely very warm.
When I got home I measured my blood pressure. It was still high, but it had come down. Throughout the evening it got more to normal. Today it is fine, there is no burning or flushed feeling.
What happened is now very apparent to me. Although I asked for "NO MSG" the order had MSG in it (they have made this mistake with oil before). After eating the Chinese food I fasted, so there was nothing to help offset its effects. The next morning I got the brunt of the full effects. Upon doing some research on the Internet I found the following symptoms: (1). rapid rise in blood pressure, (2). a "flushed" feeling in the face and forearms (3). rapid weight loss. In a short span of twenty-four hours I got to see first-hand how MSG can affect me, and believe me, I am now a believer! I am just thankful that I had mixed it with my own rice; had I eaten it by itself I might have ended up in the emergency room. This stuff is dangerous.
Deb S
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous - I am also suspicious of your home prepared seasoned rice. If it is a commercially prepared product, it very likely has one or more hidden forms of MSG in the seasonings. Check the long list on this website of the names for hidden MSG and compare with the ingredients listed on the rice package, and you will probably be shocked. :(

And if you have your own recipe for "wild and seasoned rice" that uses only safe ingredients, i.e., normal spices and no seasoning blends, please share it! :)
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, a 40 point rise (to 150/118) in blood pressure is exactly about what I got when I ate MSG about ten years ago. I also had other conditions that caused the rise to be so severe. One was a dermoid cyst which can have hormone secreting tissue in it, the other was an artery blockage near one kidney. Has your doctor checked you for a renal artery blockage or any kind of cyst or adrenal tumor?
Ann Luhcs
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 4:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading this board for a couple of months, doing keyword searches, while I sorted out just how to get all the msg out of my diet.

For only the past two days have I begun to feel normal. And, just as I've read you all say, how wonderful normal is!

The last 5 1/2 years have been ruled by seizure-like dizzy spells and constant exhaustion. I could really go on and on about my symptoms, as I have during this time with doctors (!) but, I am happy to put it all behind me.

This is the funny thing about my case: I actually stumbled upon the msg connection within 5 months of the illness period coming on. In my intense searching for an answer, I read Dr. Blaylock's book. My attention was mainly on aspartame, but the book is about msg, too. Early in my reading of this book, I told a doctor whom I had sought because of this thing happening to me, about the findings in the book. He convinced me utterly that it was blarney and hogwash. His main point was that the CDC would know about it if it had caused these reactions in people. In my confusion, I gave up the msg connection before I had given it the full experiment.

Not a funny story, really, more odd. And, of course, to me - tragic! And I know you all have felt my pain.

I am in the food business, have been since I was 13, and I am now 47. I own a food service, and now I know what I am serving up. The cook in a restaurant or cafeteria or even a catering company is not a reliable source of information for the kinds of ingredients that concern us here on this board. In a commercial kitchen, foods come in big cases. They are not individually labeled on the packages inside like foods are that are intended for public purchase, as in a grocery store. They have one label on the outside of the case.

Kitchen workers that do not have to be the cooks, often handle these cases and place foods under refrigeration and dry storage. Therefore the cook can grab "cryovaced" (the way it is individually frozen) chicken breast, steak, whatever meat or sauce you can think of, that is not labeled. And if he refrains from dousing it with that common bottle of "accent" that resides in most kitchens, then he thinks that it is msg free.

Restaurants use premade products that are just like those convenience foods you all now shun in the grocery. It is just that their packaging is not bright and colorful or imformative.

And, really, you cannot trust that these cooks will know what to look for.

I've got a lot of thinking to do about my career. I want to know more about those groups who are fighting this. I will be looking into them.

Thanks for listening!
Ann
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 4:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann,

Have you contacted the Truth in Labeling Campaign?

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann, I know how you feel. It is hard to re-examine what you do for a living. Don't despair. You are actually in a better position than you realize. Sometimes I wish I had stayed in the food business to try to change it from the inside. When I left, things just got worse, only I was powerless, and on the outside. Now I am a civil engineer who works in the private sector. Instead of being an environmentalist bystander, I am the one people yell at at public hearings, but there is a difference. I can listen to what the townspeople are telling me they want, AND I can fix it, and design it into my next engineering project too. Because I care. Don't underestimate the power of what you can do from the inside. You'll find your way.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 2:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen to what you have shared with Ann, Carol! Excellent words from an expert. Thanks for sharing your all too familiar but heartbreaking story, Ann. I hope you will continue to reclaim your health.....you story makes me so upset that the medical professionals caused you more years of suffering and confusion. PLEASE re-inform the very ones who were so sure Dr. Blaylock was a quack!
Jackye
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann, You have found great support in this group. I experienced the same thing you encountered with physicians. I did go back and re-educate. My internal medicine physician respects the information from this website. He has grown to recognize them as EXPERTS. He agrees that Deb and Mike have done a great thing in bringing this service to those in need. The information you shared is enlightening. I have been connected to this group since Feb of 2003. I would have sunk without the valuable help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page