Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hyperhidrosis, Anxiety, Swollen Finge...

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Hyperhidrosis, Anxiety, Swollen Fingers, Back/Neck Pain, Hot Flashes, Inability to Stay Awake, ADD, Nightmares, Sleeplessness « Previous Next »

Leslie C
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 9:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started to make the connection a few months ago after noticing increased sweating after eating fast food. It was not until a couple weeks ago that I realized just how severe my sensitivity is and just how many areas of my life have been affected by free sodium glutamate.

I was diagnosed with hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) at the age of 14 (27 now,) anxiety at the age of 15, & ADHD at the age of 24.

I believed I had narcolepsy when making the appointment that left me with the ADHD diagnosis--that's how severely unable I was to stay awake each day (sleeping for 12+ hrs/night + 1-3 naps/day and arguing the entire time that I was not depressed...just unable to snap out of it.) So I started taking stimulant ADHD medication (Adderall) in order to have some type of normal life.

I have been prescribed Rx sweat medication since I was 14 and have taken it nearly every day since then. Once I started Adderall, I lost my appetite for all foods and could barely take a bite of anything for about two months. During this time I no longer required sweat medication and assumed I outgrew the condition. Wrong! Once the initial side effect of appetite suppression wore off, I was back to eating whatever and whenever and like black magic, my dreaded sweat problem returned, except these past 3 months have been doable without the medication. I believe that it is due to me eating less, not eating at restaurants, developing pickier tastes and having a thicker wallet to spend on higher quality foods with fewer ingredients.

Hot flashes since my teens.

For most of my life I have experienced a tremendous amount of anxiety and have even had full blown panic attacks (prescribed benzodiazepams {Klonopin or Xanax} since the age of 16.) For a couple years I had nightmares nearly every night, and about 6 months ago I got a Rx for Ambien to help regulate my sleep cycle and to "knock me out" so that nightmares did not disrupt my sleep.

For years I've experienced episodes of swollen fingers to the point where I can just barely twist rings off my fingers with lotion. Sometimes it would feel like my fingers were going to explode when bending them.

I've also experienced major back and neck pain here and there. I attributed this to back surgery I had for scoliosis at the age of 16 but the times when it flares up makes no sense at all--until now! Usually I can crack my neck repeatedly on both sides throughout the day but after a lot of MSG, my neck feels locked up and it won't pop at all. Not a good feeling.

Now I know why I've been experiencing all these crazy, on-going ailments and I have Asian food to thank for that. Two weeks ago I went to an Asian (Chinese-ish) restaurant for my birthday dinner and ordered the biggest bowl of miso soup I've ever seen. It could have fed a family of 4! I drank it all in addition to sesame chicken and fried rice, along with some alcohol. Within 2 hours I had major anxiety. The next day I was extremely sweaty and then 36 hours later was about ready to head to Urgent Care for symptoms including: VERY swollen face, dizziness, faint feeling, anxious, rapid heartbeat, buzzing in ears, fatigue, unable to get warm, shivering, inability to focus my eyes, and blurred vision. Convinced myself I was either dehydrated or depleted of electrolytes and suffered immensely for the next 2-3 days. Also for about a week after this meal, I was waking up throughout the night COVERED in sweat..this was on the level of flu-like sweating or tuberculosis sweating. Worst sweating I've ever experienced.

Each day got a little bit better until I devoured 5 servings of miso soup 7 days after eating at the Chinese restaurant. That night I was back to the bad level of sweating and had a horrible headache too. The next day I had severe anxiety with rapid heartbeat, swollen fingers, neck was inflamed and I was still sweating profusely.

Today is the 3rd day since this most frequent episode and I'm determined to find out just how big of a role MSG plays in my overall well-being.

Thanks for listening!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 2:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leslie, Can I ask if you noticed any difference in your back pain when you ingest MSG? Thanks.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 9:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leslie,
Congrats on making the MSG connection! Please keep us updated on your progress and what healthful foods you are enjoying. :-)
-Ada
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 8:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leslie,

Congratulations on making the connection. I'm afraid what you will find is that glutamate is so prevalent at non-Asian restaurants too.

I've found that about 50% of the restaurants here add MSG to miso soup. I have found some that don't but you might react even to miso itself. I don't, luckily.

Also I wanted to say, I have the whole neck popping/locking up thing too. For me it's related as much to oxalate as to glutamate, but I'm convinced that there is a relation between the two. Anyway, you have enough to think about right now :-) Just realize as you "unpeel the onion" it's not surprising for you to be more sensitive to more things -- but it just means you are doing less damage and your body can start paying attention to the smaller things, in my understanding.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page