Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Thank Goodness for Facebook!

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Thank Goodness for Facebook! « Previous Next »

Megan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stopped eating gluten and dairy about 5 years ago, when I realized that I have Celiac's Disease. This made a huge difference, and taught me how important the connection is between health and what we put in our bodies. Although it helped me dramatically, I still continued to have arthritis pain in my hands and feet, sometimes digestive issues, and a bout of tinnitus and dizziness. Since I suspected food issues, i took each new suspected food from my diet. But it wasn't making any sense to me, because I couldn't find any common link between the things, and I continued to have inflammation at least 4-5 days out of a week. A few months ago I started taking krill oil, which greatly reduced the arthritis. But I really wanted to discover what was giving me issues, because I knew it couldn't be good for my body! A few days ago, I watched a video that a friend had posted on Facebook. It was about a woman who had cured her daughter's autism by removing msg from her diet. I thought it was interesting, and started to do a little internet research. I was shocked to find that every single one of my suspect foods is on the msg lists! Seaweed, xanthan gum, miso, soup stock, chocolate,fermented cabbage, vitamins...I had finally found my link! It is a huge relief to know that I can now proactively avoid ingesting these things, instead of using my body as a guinea pig. I threw away so many things from my pantry, even though I mostly eat whole foods and do all my own cooking. The canned organic tomatoes I use every week had citric acid in them, as did my favorite chili spice blend from Penzey's. But in the last 3 days I have not had any inflammation, and feel less tired. I am sure there will be many more benefits down the road, that I may not even be aware of! The hardest thing for me is my krill oil; I just don't want to give it up, but I can only find it in gelatin capsules. So I've just been opening them and squeezing the oil onto my tongue, and it's not so bad. People seem a little more resistant to knowing about this then they did about gluten, perhaps because there is more gluten awareness, and because msg is used in so many things it will be hard for people to take it out of their diets. I hope one day it is taken off the market completely, because I really believe there is a huge connection between our failing health in this country, and our massive intake of free glutamates. I support everyone who is undertaking this journey to health, and am excited to begin it with you. Thank you for this site!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are right. About the krill oil, perhaps you can omit it temporarily, then restart when you have been feeling well for a while. I know I can do that now.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-) Thanks Megan and welcome! :-) I'm gluten and dairy free too!
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 5:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

p.s. Penzeys Spices are amazing by the way! Most of them don't have MSG--just be sure to check labels. I particularly like their Adobo Seasoning (garlic, onion, Tellicherry black pepper, Mexican oregano, cumin and cayenne red pepper) and their Turkish Seasoning (oregano, sweet paprika, sumac, cayenne red pepper, and cilantro) for marinades. They also supply great salad dressing blends that you mix with oil and vinegar. Safe pre-bottled salad dressing, by the way, are one thing that is almost impossible to come by.

Their 3000 Chili and 9000 Chili blends seem to contain MSG (you mentioned citric acid but I would also be wary of "natural smoke flavor" as well), but their Hot Chili Powder, Medium Hot Chili Powder, and Regular Chili powder are safe. I haven't tried any of them, but I bet they are delicious.

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear that you're already feeling better! Some of us start feeling great instantly after discontinuing MSG, while others need a few days, weeks, or even months to notice a difference!
marie12
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 6:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Megan. I'm gluten, msg and sulfite free, and mostly soy free as well. I say mostly on the soy, because now & then I'll have a candy bar that has soy lecithin.

I knew I had an issue with msg many years ago, but I didn't realize all of the ingredients that contained free glutamates until a little over a year ago. This site is a great resource.
Megan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, everyone, thanks for your welcome. Ada, that's great to know about the other Penzey's Chili powders. I have a ton of their single spices, but the chili 3000 was my only blend from them, so I thought perhaps they were putting the citric acid in all of their blends.
I've just had a confirmation, of sorts. I hadn't mentioned my new knowledge about MSG to my mother yet. And in an email I received yesterday, she mentioned that my Dad was getting a flu shot, but that she wasn't going to because when she got it last year she said it made her really sick, and she said it gave her arthritis in her fingers. She wrote "I don't even know how that's possible, but it happened"
Well I know how it's possible, because I've read on the internet that most vaccines contain free glutamates as stabilizers. I sent her a couple links, so hopefully she will try to at least cut down on things, but at 86 it's hard to change your dietary habits.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And they contain a lot more than just free glutmate--heavy metals and formaldehyde, yuck! I've stopped vaccinating altogether, even for my animals. :-)
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 8:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, Megan.

I know some people do react to gelatin and not all gelatin is the same. But we don't react to it, at least not in small amounts. You might find this interesting:

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/noMSG.php

So a while I made the above for my son. The strange thing was that when I made it with fruit juice, he had a brief glutamate-like reaction. When I made it with sugar and in a dish that included whipped cream, he was fine. What I determined after researching was that it has something (maybe glycine?) that probably dropped his blood sugar and low blood sugar is a big trigger for a reaction to even tiny amounts of free glutamate, at least for him.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page