Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Jenny Craig Food!

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » Jenny Craig Food! « Previous Next »

stephaniesherie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We ate very clean, I was already avoiding MSG. I decided to drop some weight so I ate JC food for 1 1/2 days. On the 2nd day, I had weakness in my left leg. They thought I was having a stroke. Brain & Heart were normal, although BP was a little high. The next morning it moved to my left arm - numbness. Yet, I would pass the neurological physical tests and the x-rays were fine! Everyone was stumped and I realized, after reading, it was the MSG. I felt better yesterday but then ate some popcorn at the movies and this morning felt really off again.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stephaniesherie, I'm not at all surprised about the JC food. Unfortunately, they are a business and it's all about the bottom line - profit, so they make the food as inexpensively as possible and need to add a little "flavor enhancer", ugh!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And forget theater popcorn! MSG is in the "butter" and salt.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use regular popcorn in the microwave. I just put a little in a brown paper bag and then fold it to seal the bag. Make sure its flattened out as it burns if its clumped together. Just zap for two minutes and you have lovely fresh popcorn you can just add seasalt too. I havent tried making my own butter popcorn yet. Any tips on that would be welcome.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 7:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, that is such a great suggestion. I may just add it to my book..giving you credit, of course!...
Ali's famous brown paper bag popcorn. :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 8:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-) Loving that idea.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 6:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We use the paper bag trick too, but I'd love a creative way to add butter. I usually just spray with olive oil.

I tossed out our butter flavoring that had maltodextrin (a huge trigger for us) but I still have one from "Back to Basics" that has just Salt, Artificial Butter Flavor, and riboflavin. Does anyone know if it's safe? It's not obviously unsafe so I leave it there, and it's not obviously safe so I don't actually use it -- like many things in my cabinet :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 7:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have huge reactions with maltodextrin too. Its hard to find painrelief for my three year old without it in if she gets sick. Thankfully she is generally well! :-) As for the butter, the word artificial would stop me trying it.
I know what you mean about some things not being obviously safe or not safe. I generally veer on the side of caution and if im unsure i dont use it!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 4:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali - try olive oil on the popcorn instead of butter! All you really need is something to make the salt stick. We've been contemplating kettle corn, but have not tried it yet - maybe this weekend. Going to melt turbinado sugar on the stove, micro the popcorn and stir it up in big pot to coat the corn. Another tip - some think you can't reheat the kernels that did not pop? Wrong! if you put too much in the bag and they did not pop, you can put them back in and try again.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 8:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips Evelyn. We have just been salting our popcorn and of course it doesnt stick well. Ill try the olive oil. Right now i have a good store of greek olive oil from my dads olives in Greece. He has just visited and left me two liter bottles of it. Oh you should see it, its almost black in colour.I know its not been sprayed with anything. It is the first cold press. Its wonderful :-)
I too, redo the unpopped ones.
What is kettle corn? Ive never heard of that.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I'm jealous of the olive oil! Do you have a Misto? It's a sprayer and the olive oil would be wonderful in it.

Off topic, but I've been doing something recommended by a nutritionist, and opening a gelcap of astaxanthin into my oils to keep them from oxidating. It makes them a reddish color and she says if the red goes away, the oil oxidized and should be thrown out. It seems to keeps the flavor of my olive oil intact for longer.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do have a Misto and it works great with the olive oil. I use it so sparingly because it could be a long time till my dad visits Ireland again...he averages once every three years..not that i think i can eek the oil out that long!:-(
That a handy tip with the astaxanthin. Do you buy it in a health store?
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 4:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought it at Vitacost...I get most of my supplements there. I can send you a $10 off referral if you send me an email to lstroyan at gmail dot com.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page