Out of the medical wilderness, downunder.Deb A.5-16-07  8:35 pm
From Devastated to ElatedCherylin19 7-24-07  7:05 am
No sleep and I have to work at 3pm today.Deb A.18 12-26-07  6:32 pm
Ocular migraines, visual problems , sleep apneaMEMorrisNJ12-26-07  5:29 am
Misdiagnosed with panic disorderDeb A.12 8-20-10  9:34 am
Jenny Craig Food!LisaS13 3-06-12  4:40 pm
My battle with MSGali11 8-03-12  2:29 am
Thank Goodness for Facebook!LisaS2-05-14  8:36 pm
Hyperhidrosis, Anxiety, Swollen Fingers, Back/Neck Pain, Hot Flashe...LisaS4-15-14  8:02 pm
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to How You Made the MSG Connection. You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

If adding a message below, ignore the reference to an account. Full names are not necessary in the username box. Passwords are not required.

Grateful
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 9:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just want to say how grateful I am for this site. I am a teacher aide(elementary) and am very aware of the effects of MSG on myself. I bring a lunch every day and wish parents would do likewise. Since I began working in the school system 9 years ago, I have seen an increase in the number of children who are unteachable, and unreachable. Many of these same students become listless or unruly soon after eating school lunches, which are appalling. I have mentioned this to teachers, but many don't get it. Many of them suffer some of the symptoms listed on the site, themselves. Many of my friends are depressed, have terrible chronic headaches, or are ADD. Please keep up your efforts to enlighten and help others.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 4:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grateful, you don't know how much your e mail serves to help others who may be struggling to even believe that MSG may be causing their or their children's misery. Thanks for taking the time to share your story and for trying to reach the teachers in your school. You are welcomed to download the handout and make copies of it for your fellow workers. It's easy to read and includes statistics on ADD and the rise in it and the use of behavior altering drugs. I'm sure your school nurse is aware of those! We have heard from several who are tired of dispensing so many and who believe diet is the real culprit (excitotoxins). Thanks again. :)
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 4:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The handout can be downloaded at our site. Just click on the correct topic at the left. (www.msgmyth.com)
Today, I received this e mail that I was given permission to post here.
"
Hi there,
My name is Rob Spellman. I live in Auburn, Maine. I am 35 years
old and irreguardless of what the so-called experts say I believe that MSG is
poison. I was probably 20 years old when I made the connection that it was
MSG that made me ill. It was a TOP RAMEN soup that did me in!! Severe
migraine headache, extreme nausea, skin burning up and vomiting. At the time
I did not realize that it was MSG and I had similar reactions to things like
flavored potato chips, dips and a host of other foods. I finally put together
the common ingredient-MSG. These days almost every main stream food in the
grocery store seems to have MSG or a cleverly hidden name buried in the
label. I would love to know the date that MSG was introduced into our food as
a common ingredient and whether or not there has been increases in the
occurrences of migraine headaches and other reactions that some of us know is
related to this food additive. Well this is the first time I have found
anyone interested in this subject and I must say it is kind of cool to have
come across you. Let me know if you can what the battle is like out there and
will there ever be relief from what I think is a substance that cannot be
good for any of us even if some people don't have a bad reaction to it on the
outside.

Thanks for listening,

Rob Spellman"
Thanks, Rob!
Pat Shoffner
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in the teaching game for twenty five years. Believe me, in that amount of time there was a HUGE difference in the number of children that were having health problems - terrible food being served in schools etc. The number of students that were taking some medicine for Attention Deficiet syndrom was astounding. BUT, nobody seems to get it - except the people on this site of course. I think there is an awareness that is beginning to show up - thanks to sites like this one - but, oh my, it sure is slow and very discouraging.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 7:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob and Pat, glad you found us! As for disease statistics, I have started to research the increases in disease prevalence. The results so far can be found on the site: http://www.msgtruth.org/disease.htm It startled even me. That's how I came across the depression link. Of course Dr. H.J. Roberts in his book Aspartame Disease an Ignored Epidemic, (given to me by MEMorris :) ) already made that connection to excitotoxins long before. I wish I had read it sooner. My site is still just starting out, but life sort of got in the way recently. I will be adding more to it in earnest in the next few weeks.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat, thank you so much for adding to what "Grateful has shared". How tragic... and how impatient we all are for change, for our children's sakes. We'll keep trying to get the message out as best we can. Your posting will help, you can be sure.
Hi Carol! You sound as busy as we have been...so much to do...so little time! Our youngest son is getting married June 1st and we will be giving he and his bride a reception in our back yard...much yardwork to do, and with this bum arm. Ugh! But before that, we have a major trip to Nebraska to attend our son-in-law's graduation from dental school..then we will be helping them move back here...yippee!! Finally, some grandchildren in the same town...it's been a looong 4 years without them. Will be looking forward to your new postings. I would like to get some info regarding the amount of MSG the average American consumes a day. I remember that the FDA said that 5 mg a day or was it grams of it was safe for the average person...have to find that in one of the books or on Jack's site. But according to Wayne Erickson and the info he gave me for the handout on our site, the average American gets about 300 to 400 grams a year....anyone have more data about that?
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there may be data on that in the Aspartame Disease book. It is very thorough.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the FDA to say that 5 grams of MSG a day is safe for the average person is irresponsible:

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/scripps-1.html
shiela
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 3:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work as a psychiatric nurse. My family is msg sensitive, even my dog is. I have shared my knowledge with fellow nurses and patients. You can't believe the responses I have had. One boy's peeling hands cleared and so did his depression. A lady with chronic fatigue syndrome and suicidal thoughts is a new person. My co-worker, who was having low blood sugar and horrible fibromyalgia is completely controlled. She screwed up two days ago and ate some msg just chancing it at a party and her husband found her on the floor unconscious with blood sugar of 30 in the middle of the night. Another CNA at my work place went to the hospital for chronic bouts of abdominal pain. She had several diagnoses. I told her to stop the hourly diet sodas (aspartame), she did, and she is pain free! I could go on and on. I am spreading the word. But for every one that listens, another laughs and refuses to believe it is this simple.
My mom was on xanax, and antidepressants for panic and depressive disorder. We cleaned out her cupboards and I gave her the list of no-no s. Guess what?? No more xanax, no more Seroquel. She can't believe it. She thinks I am a genius. I can help every single person with some problem just by telling them about MSG and the other neurotoxins. My dad with knee pain was thinking of surgery. I noticed he would snack on those tidbits snacks with the yeast extract and spices all day long. I had a hunch and suggested he go without for a week. While he still consumed other forms of msg, eliminating this constant all day supply helped incredibly. The idea of surgery is now, history. So, I am free from my hives, my son is free from his migraines and low platelet problem, my husband is no longer requiring a nap in the middle of the day or using pills for allergies.
CONNECTION? I think a connection is VERY CLEAR!!
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shiela, bless you, bless you!!! Thank you for speaking up and sharing your firsthand experiences with us here and in your circle. I think we have spoken via the internet years ago, unless I am mistaken. I know I heard from a psyciatric nurse who was trying to help spread the word where she worked.
Anyway, it is so encouraging to hear about all the good work you continue to do each day. I tell people who are afraid to speak up about MSG to forget about what people will think of them....before too long, enough of the people you have reached and helped are supporting the cause themselves. At first, I got flack from some of my own kids, and several relatives...I'm sure some of them still think I'm an alarmist, but now they are hearing from relatives that are better because they were smart enough (or sick enough) to make diet changes. It's so much fun now to be at a reunion where one sister-in-law is telling another brother about the dramatic difference in her husband, who used to have terrible depression and forgetfulness at the age of 43. It's even more rewarding when one of your worst skeptics comes to you quietly for help. :)
I have to admit that at first I didn't like the labels, and preferred not to be singled out as the extremist in the family and among certain friends. But I decided that I KNEW the truth about MSG and that was all that mattered. Now I don't give a care what people say or think of me. All that matters is that the right people get the message and make the MSG CONNECTION. Thanks again, Shiela. You are making a big difference. And others out there, please share your success stories and experiences here. They help to reach newcomers seeking answers and they help all of us keep going.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shiela, as a nurse, please consider compiling your experiences into a book.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW HOW YOUR BOOK HAS SAVED MY LIFE-FOR ABOUT TWO
>YEARS I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE MUSCLES AND JOINTS IN MY FEET, KNEES
>AND ARMS-ONE DR OPERATED ON MY FOOT FOR MORTON'S NEUROMAS-HE SAID I HAD TWO
>IN BOTH FEET-ANOTHER DR WAS TREATING ME FOR RHUMETOID ARTHIRTIS-WHICH I NOW
>KNOW I DO NOT HAVE-WHEN I DISCOVERED YOUR BOOK I WAS ON STEROIDS AND OTHER
>MEDICATION FOR ARTHRITIS-AFTER BEING ON YOUR DIET AND FOLLOWING YOUR
>COOKBOOK I STOPPED ALL MEDICATIONS AFTER A MONTH-I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW
>THAT I WAS VERY DISCOURAGED AND WAS WORRIED THAT MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND WOULD
>GIVE UP ON ME IF I DID'T GET BETTER-I TRY TO TELL ALL PEOPLE I KNOW ABOUT
>THE POSSIBLE PROBLEMS THEY COULD HAVE WHEN EATING THIS HORRIBLE STUFF-
>THANK YOU VERY MUCH
John Brodar
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for sharing your note. It was so powerful that it gave me goose bumps from our shared experiences. I am truly happy that you were able to solve so many of your medical problems with just one needless operation. One of my doctors wanted to radiate my thyroid after being sick for just 6 weeks. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

I am delighted that your health has so improved since you took back control of your well being, eliminated MSG for the pioson that it is and started sharing the news.

Please write some more ... your expanded story is sure to help someone else.
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've been doing a little research into MSG since i started using it about a year ago, and so far what i've seen as the drawbacks doesnt hold true for me. i am an asthmatic, i have a history of migraine headaches and digestive problems. since using MSG (usually in place of salt), i have not noticed any change in my asthma. it actually stops my headaches and calms my stomach when nothing else will. it does impart a certain "awakeness" in me after consumption, but in the same way that capsicum (cayenne) does.
aspartame does, however, cause asthma attacks, stomach upset, and headaches for me. so i avoid it.
if you happen to be MSG-sensative, treat it like a diabetic would. we dont outlaw sugared foods simply because a diabetic cant consume them safely. be on your guard, and stay away from the pringles and doritos!
i'm probably going to get quite a few negative responses to this post, but i just wanted to let the people here know that MSG has improved my health quite a bit. i love the stuff.
also, something odd i've noticed: cats absolutely go nuts for it. it took a packet of dried squid shreds for me to realize the reason my cat likes pringles, fritos, and doritos so much is because of the MSG. just something interesting...
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck! What you may not realize is that MSG is stimulating cells of your brain to the point of destruction...this may take years, but the reuult is often neurological disorders, strokes, and tumors. Not everyone gets headaches from eating MSG, but I sure do. It takes about 24 hours after consumption for me to have a full blown reation( migraine and stomach distress and the blues), so the migraines you are experiencing may be part of a regular cyle due to your eating habits. If you think that your headaches actually get better because of MSG consumption, it may be that they are just wearing off from a previous meal, on schedule. Then you can be sure that you will experience another headache in a day or so from your last "treatment" with MSG. Most of us react within a time frame unique to our systems, but the majority of us take hours to develop a migraine, often lasting 2 to 3 days. The "awakeness" you experience is the action of the glutamate on your brain cells and nervous system...but this overstimulation also destroys cells. MSG is a drug and is very addictive according to toxicologist, Dr. George Schwartz.. even to animals. It intensifies pleasurable tastes and causes one to crave foods high in glutamate, as a result. Normally seasoned foods loose their finess to the palate conditioned to flavor/chemically enhanced foods that are highly processed. You would be shocked at the number of people we hear from whose dogs or cats have developed seizures and even died before they discovered that the pet foods they were using were high in glutamate. My asthma totally cleared up after I stopped consuming foods high in glutamate. As for a choice of whether we can eat foods without glutamate added, that is a joke, since 9/10's of the processed foods available to us are tainted with some form of MSG. There are over 80 aliases of substances that are food additives that contain varying percentages of MSG with names that the average consumer wouldn't even correlate with MSG. So how is a person to know that soy protein or carrageenan, or hydrolyzed protein contain high dosages of glutamate, the harmful component of MSG? Better labeling is what we would love. It would make our job of trying to eat, so much easier. All we ask is for more healthier choices, which have been taken away from us, and honest labeling. Do you know how many food companies have been fined or had to chuck their products spiked with oure MSG that were not labled? Thousands of pounds of Jimmy Dean sausages had to be tossed after it was discovered that MSG was in it and was not labeled. How many other companies out there are "spiking" their products...lots, as long as they think they can get away with it...so where is our freedom to choose in such cases? And what choices do our obese, hyperactive, attention deficit, asthma and migraine ridden children have when they subsist on the fast food and processed foods their busy parents rely on? Read some of their stories on this site. The only people who have extolled the virtues of MSG to me are those who work for the food industry or have other ties to it....or those who are highly addicted to MSG enhanced foods and who refuse to believe that the things they love are dangerous....because that would mean they would have to give them up. So they continue to suffer their symptoms and take their meds. I really hope your luck holds out over the years as you self medicate with MSG. And if you can't be more careful about MSG, please look out for your cat.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Sorry for all the misspellings...I rather rushed through with my writing. I get somewhat impatient with people who say they have done some research and then say they treat their migraines with MSG... when medical journals and magazine articles are now listing MSG as a known MSG trigger. I want you to know that all we want to do is help and warn and educate people here. Please be careful with your health. It is priceless.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought I would share this recent e mail from Australia:
"Hi Debby,
Thank you for responding so promptly to my request for your book regarding MSG as quickly as you did. It was funny as I was outside walking my daughter and checked the mailbox and there was this package and I opened it not realising what it was (as I thought I would have to wait much longer for it) and there it was with this Miss Avenger on the front, I put it back in the mailbox and continued on playing with my daughter. It wasn't until later that night when I was hopping in to bed that I remembered that it was there, I promptly got back out of bed and went and got it, from that point on I could not put it down. Obviously, the first thing I read was your story and it was just like reading about ME!!! It was like a shining light and I when I read about the Lord leading you to the brochure on MSG, I knew that he at last had lead me to the information that would truly help me. Thank you for telling your story. I read the information up to the recipes and could be found regularly sitting there gasping with my mouth left open at some of the information. Alot of the information shocked me and it disappoints me so much that the people who are in power have forgotten who it is that put them there and who it is they are there to protect and serve.

It has been almost a month of changing what I eat and using your recipes in the book (and changing them over to the Australian way), but I am doing really well and so many of the recipes are so quick and delicious.

My story is that about 6 months ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, this was a devastating discovery for me and my lovely doctor (I mean that) who told me this is the specialist on it in Australia. His wife has it and he said that is was mainly an adjustment in lifestyle and an understanding of triggers and energy levels that would help me to live with it. Prior to this (2 years ago) I had a baby girl and as you say in your story, this should of been one of the happiest time of my life, although there have been wonderful times, I cannot say that I was enjoying it. From the moment she was born, I have had troubles sleeping, extreme fatigue, anxiety, chronic back, shoulder and neck pain, severe depression. I had also been suffering for a number of years with the same bowel problems that you speak of in your story, with excruciating pain every time it came time to go, to the point of wanting to vomit at the same time. I have also suffered from chronic headaches for many, many years, worsening in the last couple. I have been suffering with chronic fatigue for years, where I would wake up tired and could easily go back to bed after only being up for about 2 hours.
All my meals are now cooked as MSG free as I can make them and I am very careful about what I buy. It is interesting doing the shopping now and seeing the different foods that come home to what used too. I often look at other people's trolleys to see what they are buying and am filled with disappointment at what they are putting into their mouths.

When I received your book, I could of ticked just about all of the symptoms that you list on the front cover, now the number of ticks are diminishing. I have not had a headache for a couple of days, am going to the toilet like a 'normal' person and am not so tired during the day and waking up relatively refreshed. I do still take a high dose of anti depressants, but am beginning to see the light of the day when I no longer need them. I still take sleeping tablets, but I know that the day is sooner rather than later when I shall come off those too.

Thank you for taking the time to write and investigate all that you have done. I know that this is the key to my feeling better already and just climbing the stairs of happiness everyday. Your book is wonderful and the recipes fantastic. I shall spread the word on MSG in Australia, although I do believe that it is becoming more of an issue everyday. We have heard a couple of news reports and interviews recently where this is becoming a real topic of discussion.

Keep well and happy, you and your family are obviously wonderful people and I and my family wish you all the best forever.

D.G.
Brisbane, Australia"
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

966, you say that you are an asthmatic with digestive problems and migraines. You must still have them. If you continue to use MSG, you will still get them. The folks here have stopped using MSG, and if they are vigilant, don't get these symptoms anymore. They stop considering themselves asthmatic, and migraine sufferers, and IBS sufferers.
If asparatame gives you trouble, you should be aware that the glutamate in MSG and the aspartic acid in aspartame are related by only one routine chemical reaction in the body. 966, I sincerely hope you are simply a misguided food industry representative trying to stir controversy, and not an individual purely poisoning themselves for no good reason. I could rest easier then.
S.A.
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 9:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen! Debby and Carol are absolutely right. I was diagnosed with asthma and IBS and suffered from terrible headaches at least 2 to 3 times a week. Only when I deleted the junk foods from my diet in a last ditch attempt to feel better, did I suspect that something I was eating was causing my trouble. I began to investigate food additives and experimented with certain foods. Everything that said MSG on it gave me symptoms about 12 hours after eating them. I searched almost 100 sites and found this one and now I am like a new person thanks to the people here and Debby's book. You can be sure my baby daughter is going to eat right.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

966, You didn't just start using MSG a year ago. You, like the rest of us, have been eating it all your life! Eventually, it will catch up to you, or maybe, as others have suggested, it already has. Health problems are mostly due to what you put into your body. "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT."
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 5:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I consider MSG use as insidious as cigarette smoking. People don't develop cancer overnight, nor do alzheimers and parkinsons show up as soon as the damage starts. You can play Russian Roulette with your health, but we can't avoid MSG just by passing on the "pringles and doritos". The public needs to be educated about and protected from MSG, and you seem to be a classic victim of it.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to assume that this post from 966 is a crank post. Although I have met people who admit being addicted to MSG-I have never heard of anyone taking this poison as a supplement. It is the equivalent of using crack to cure lethargy.
Donna
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, just wanted to let you know you have been an answer to prayer for our family. I can look back now and see how far we have come just since Christmas. Christmas Eve we were visiting some friends and I remember watching the children all around this big tub of popcorn you know the kind with three flavors... well at the time I thought how sweet that was just looking at the children they were having such a good time. Later they played with ballons, then a six year old girl there was walking around with a wet rag on her head I asked what happened and her mom said oh she gets really bad headaches and sometimes she even vomits. The next week I overheard my eight year old daughter ask her friend that was over ,"Do you ever get dizzy and not really know where you are?"Later I questioned her about what she said , I asked how many times this happened and she said, "Only once at Mr. Dougs house on Christmas Eve Something really weard happened in my head and then I didn't know where I was." she told me. I later learned about msg and we now avoid it. I made copies off the internet and passed them out to family and friends. There are a lot of people out there suffering and think its just something they have to live with. Thanks Deb for your time and effort.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna, thank you for sharing that with us. I got chills just reading it. You know, when Mike and I began our campaign to reach more people, there were times of discouragement, especially when some of the people and family closest to us thought we were being extremists or alarmists. But over the years, some of those very people have come to us for help. That was encouraging, along with the personal stories people began sending to us, like yours. Today, they motivate and keep us going in this uphill battle. But it is getting easier, because so many of the people we have reached are now reaching others and the circle is ever widening. Exciting!!! Thank YOU.
Sarah McClellan
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Just a quick note about the new hulled pistasho kernels being sold at Sam's Club and probably at Wal-malt stores. My MSG reactive husband got a quick (within 5 minutes) MSG headache just from a few kernels. They are not even as good as the unhulled ones from the same company.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 5:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,
Are they the Sunkist brand in the mostly yellow bag? I just bought some today at Sam's Club. I never had a problem with either the shelled or unshelled Sunkist pistacios, but I haven't eaten either one of them in several months. I read on this discussion board that sometimes MSG is added to help the salt stick to the nuts. Thanks for the warning.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I also react to many of the "salt blends" that are added to many nuts, along with the sulfur dioxide that is sprayed on some of them. Some of the salt blends contain substances high in glutamate, such as maltodextrin.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have had migranes for about 20 yrs. but a couple of years ago it got to the point where I was about to start losing time at work and it was a constant headache , the nuero Dr. I was using couldn't find anything to help me but my best friend found your website and sent me info. on it and encouraged me to buy Deb's book which I did it has been wonderful. My headaches have subsided alot but I think I still might be getting hold of something because I still get headaches. But the good news is that God led me to a new nuero Dr. who understands and was willing to try and help me. I have been using her for about a yr. and a half now. I feel like I am healthier and feel better about myself. I also tell other people about what happened to me about msg. Like someone in another post said some listen and some don't. But if it helps just one person than God has done the work he needs to thru me. I have turned what could have been really bad into something good for the Lord. The only thing is when I ended up losing weight I learned how I could make ice cream and my on chocolate and gained some weight back, plus the cookie recipes from Deb's book. well thanks for everything. God Bless!!! Doris (dorisck@bellsouth.net)
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doris, thanks for sharing that. The word is spreading because we are willing to share it and on it goes like a widening ripple. Thanks for doing your part. If you still suspect that something is still giving you headaches, try writing down everthing you eat in a food journal. At the beginning of the day, write down how you are feeling and do that at the end of the day. Circle any foods you suspect may be bothering you.
Do this for a few weeks and then look at the foods you circled....you will probably see a common thread.
Bonnie
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I have been sick for quite some time with so many different symptoms that I was embarrassed to go back to my doctor again! I have had flu like symptoms, achy muscles, achy joints, sores in my mouth, stomach problems, burning sensation on my feet and tongue, swelling of my tongue, migraines, blurry vision that comes and goes, dizziness, brain fog, tachardia (sp?) (fast heart rate), severe mood swings, sore throats, drippy stuffy nose, and tingling on my face. I've been sent to specialists, been put on meds that made me feel much worse, and had thousands of dollars of tests run. So far none of this has helped, until I turned my thoughts to MSG.

A coworker noticed that I seemed to have troubles with the tachardia every time I went out to eat at my favorite Thai restaurant. She suggested that they might use MSG, so I decided to get on the net and see what the side effects of MSG were. Neither she, nor I realized what a can of worms we were opening, I had no idea how much of the stuff I was consuming every day, nor how many ways it could be making me feel bad. I now believe that I have found the answer to most if not all of the problems I have been suffering from over the past few years.

This site has been so helpful to me, and I have sent for Deb's book, but I have a couple of questions. I am curious about corn, I have seen here several times that corn syrup is a problem and corn starch I think, I'm wondering if all corn products are a problem? How about fresh corn, and homeny grits? I am also wondering about tuna. I thought that would be a safe lunch item but after eating that day I found myself in a brain fog for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if that was the tuna or if it was something else I ate, but I have been afraid to eat try it again. It was suppose to be packed in water, but the ingredients said vegetable broth.

Thanks for your help!
Bonnie
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 8:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie--You're on the right track. Corn naturally contains high levels of glutamate. When it's processed with heat, the heat causes more glutamate to be released. I do OK with fresh and frozen corn. I don't eat grits, so I can't comment on those. You'll have to do some trial and error testing to see what things cause your symptoms to appear and/or worsen.

As for tuna, I only buy Natural Value tuna, which is packed with salt and water. It's available at health food stores. The commercial brands use broth, which can contain hidden glutamate.

Good luck with your quest to become healthy. It may take awhile before your symptoms abate, but most of us on this list have been there and will help if we can.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, it is so nice to check this board each day, and especially to find that someone else has made the MSG connection to their symptoms.
Broth is just another word for MSG mixed with some water and sometimes a little vegetable or meat by-product. Be careful of mayonnaise, also...haven't found one that I can tolerate, so make my own, or a mix of olive oil and a little organic cider vinegar whisked with salt, pepper, mustard, and a pinch of sugar. I drizzle that on my sandwiches most times (and salads). Most MSG today is produced by fermenting corn with bacteria, since corn is very high in natural glutamate. Like Evelyn, I have no problem with fresh or frozen corn, and have found the organic canned corn from Trader Joe's to be okay, too. I do tend to not overdo on foods that are naturally high in glutamate, such as tomatoes, corn, mushrooms, milk, etc. Keep learing all you can Bonnie, and visit us here for any help you may need. We've all been where you are now.
Bonnie
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 2:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Evelyn and Deb, that does help some. As for the mayo, I'm afraid to even try eating bread right now. I would like to eliminate as much from my diet as I can for a while, then as I start feeling better, add back a little at a time and see how I do with what. I'm trying to eat very simple, whole, & unprocessed. I'll be so glad when I get your book Deb so that I have something to reference before I eat (not a hint to hurry at all)! :-) From all that I have read, I'm sure it is going to be a wealth of information.

Thanks again for the help!
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, when did you order it, and was it though our site? We usually get it out within 3 days. We have had a run on them lately, and am just going out today to pick up some more books. It's like this each year. After the Christmas rush, January and February are our busiest months for book sales...people feel sick from all the holiday "pary" food, I suspect.
Linda S.
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debby, I have a check in the mail to you for three more books!! Hope you don't run out.. My mother-in-law is getting one despite her protestation that she is not as affected by MSG as I am (she has rosacea, is overweight, has high blood pressure, occasional tremors and recently has fallen in her house twice). She is not interested in cooking her own food again at this stage of her life. Hope I can convince her otherwise.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda, it is so hard for people who are older to think of cooking from scratch, but once they do, they feel younger and healthier. If they only knew what all that processed food was doing to them! You are a great daughter-in-law to care enough to try and reach her. Best wishes.
Bonnie
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 7:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb! I got your address off of this site, then sent a money order. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I haven't had a chance to get back on here for several days. I sent the money order off last Friday, have you gotten it yet? I really am anxious to get your book.

I had been doing so good for almost a week and didn't even realize the full extent of how much better I was feeling until yesterday. I was having a really bad craving for onion rings and a corn dog, so I hauled my rear-end down to D.Q., placed my order, went back home and dined in front of the T.V. I was totally wiped out for the rest of the night! Total brain fog, sick to my tummy, couldn't sleep, dizzy, and this morning I feel like I have a hang over. I hope I don't have to do that to myself too many more times before I learn to stay away from problem foods.

I may be restricting myself a little too much right now because I don't know what I can get away with. I am mostly eating fresh fruits and veggies, raw seeds, unprocessed meat, rice and potatoes. I am looking forward to getting your book so I can try to expand a little.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, your book was sent Saturday.
Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up when you make a mistake. We all know what that is all about. It will be easier to find healthier substites for your cravings as you keep learning what is good for you and what is not.
Bonnie
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's wonderful Deb! I should get it in the next day or two. I can't wait! Thanks again!
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 4:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem!
Linda S.
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I am looking forward to getting my book as well. We were on the road this weekend, and although I did my best, I feel a bit poisoned (hives, headache etc.) I'm sure the stress of trying to get home before the blizzard hit central NJ didn't help! ;)
Bonnie
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 3:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, just wanted to let you know that I did get your book last Tuesday. My mother had hip surgery Tuesday and I have been in the hospital with her all week. At least it has given me a lot of free time to read, and I am finding the book so helpful! Thank you so much for this wonderful resource!
SueD
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 1:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've made a break-through! I've tried really hard to eliminate all the MSG from my food, but my headaches persisted. So I did what Debby suggested in her book--went back and started rereading information on this site. In my case, a sentence jumped out about absorbing MSG from soaps, etc. I already knew that Pure and Natural soap was the best choice for my face, but I had never even considered the liquid hand soap I kept next to the sink. Since doing away with that 3 days ago, my headaches, although not totally gone, are 90% better than they have been in months! Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. It's been a tremendous help to me.
Jen
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 6:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue,
I'm the same way. I was doing real good for a year and then, started to feel sick again. I had to wead all my products out. I'm still looking for gel or something to put on my hair. But, feeling much better.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jen,

usa.neways.com makes a very good hairgel
that I use. I tolerate it very well, and I am one
of the more sensitive posters.

DJ
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, happy the book came and that you are enjoying reading it. Hope your mother is doing well since her surgery.
SueD., it's good to hear that you have found some answers for your headache...it can be such little things that we use often, from toothpaste to vitamins.
DJ. I'm curious...what are the ingredients of the hair gel? I am always looking for safer products. Some hairsprays bother me...right now I am trying Tresseme in the spray can...seems to spray out less.
Jennifer
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 5:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ,
I'm curious 2 about the ingredients.

Deb A,
Have you tried lemon juice as a hair spray. In one of my natural beauty books it says lemon juice works. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking about it.

The book is called Natural Beauty at Home, by Janice Cox.

Lemon Hair Spray
yields: 8 ounces

zest from 1 lemon peel
1 c. boiling water
1 T. vodka

Place lemon zest in a ceramic or glass bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let sit for several hours or even overnight.
Remove the zest with a slotted spoon. (You can also pour the water through a funnel lined with coffee filter to remove any solid from the liquid.) Stir the vodka into the lemon-water solution.

Pour the solution into a clean spritzer bottle and use before or after styling your hair. It can be used on both wet and dry hair.

Also, in one of my books it suggest using a water filter that goes on a shower head. I thought that would be really good for sensitive skin.
Jennifer
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS
Don't get lemon juice in your eyes. It will sting.

I seen another recipe for lemon juice hair spray and it says that it last one week in the fridge. But, it was made w/o vodka and I know alcohol makes things keep longer.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for the recipes, Jennifer. :)
Jennifer
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a lemon hair recipe that I found today online.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/123
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jennifer...this ones looks easier than the other one. Has anyone here found a good shampoo yet?
Jennifer
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 10:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Tom's of Maine natural Shampoo Aloe & Almond. It has citric acid and glycerin (glycerin is just like corn syrup but with less water). I can't wash my hair twice with it, because I'll show a slight rash. One wash is ok. I haven't found anything better yet.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jennifer. I will try it next. Right now I am trying the new one by Garnier, "Fructis"...has some chemicals but a lot of fruit extracts and some citric acid. So far so good, but that can change overnight...only used it 3 times so far.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just want to thank Debby for giving me back my life! I have always reacted to MSG but until I had my son 14 years ago it wasn't debilitating. After I had him I started to get migraines, suffer from severe depression, mood swings, exhaustion, I was at least 50 pounds overweight, etc. I found Debby's site about 5 years ago when I was doing a search for food allergy triggers. I omitted MSG but didn't pay alot of attention to the hidden names for it until about 8 months ago when I had to do something about my daughter's physical and mental health. She was diagnosed as bipolar and taking Paxil, she had an ulcer and was taking Aciphix, she was put on Antivert for dizziness, the doctor said that she was developing Crones Disease...she was barely 18 at the time! She went totally off the wall when she went away to college and it was over summer break that I knew that we had to do something. The total MSG elimination was a kind of last resort but I am ecstatic to say that she is fine now and so am I! In the past 8 months I have lost around 35 pounds and I never go hungry, my energy has doubled, my depression is gone, I hardly get any cramps from my period, my moods have stabilized...I feel great! So many people want to know what diet I went on and when I tell them that it isn't a diet that it's a change of lifestyle they lose interest because it's too hard. My daughter lives in a dorm room without kitchen facilities and a hotpot and a microwave to cook with, if she can do it anyone can do it. My 14 year old son tells me that he can think alot clearer and he feels alot better. Thank you a million times Debby for sharing what you know with the rest of us! Jodi
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 9:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jodi, you have made my week...no month! Thank your for taking a second look at what had to be eliminated from your diets. You are such a good mom...sometimes it takes our kids getting sick for us to get serious. I know that from my own experience, as you probably know. Keep up the great job you are doing and thanks for sharing that. It makes me SO happy.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 1:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jodi, just curious. Is your daughter a model? It's just that your story is familiar with one I heard from the mother of a daughter a couple years ago. I have heard from many mothers of children who get worse when they leave home. Of course, they are not eating as they should...more of the fast food, pizza, deli food things.
Judy A.
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 2:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a baby of the MSG food industry. I was born in 1964, just as it was being added to our food supply.
At 38 years old I have suffered with severe migraines for 21 years. Even before that my mother tells me I complained of headaches. I was on a special diet as an infant due to exzema and nasal allergy syptoms. I had been diagnosed with milk intolerance and it appeared that I suffered from beef and pork also. My hormones were fluctuating and during critical hormone shifts the stomach problems, migraines, and joint pain would escalate.
It seemed like everything was a trigger. I knew that MSG was something to avoid, as everytime I ate flavored chips I would migraine. When my sister invited me to a msgmyth class I was excited to go and learn more. I took everything home and promptly changed my diet and started to make the shift in my family's.
It has been two weeks. I have been headache free for two weeks! That has been amazing to me. I will not say that I have done perfectly, as we have yet to find affordable alternatives for purchasing some basics, but we have greatly reduced the amount of msg we ingest.
I have recently emailed our superintendent of instruction to get him to look into the amount of additives in our school lunches, but until then we are packing them in.
A great side effect - I eat when I am sick and I have lost an inch in that two week span. I no longer crave anything! Food tastes good, but when I am full I stop and I never want it unless I am hungry. I did not realize how much unneeded eating I was doing. I feel great! Thank you to all of you who do the research to help us all! Judy
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 3:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy A, I'm so glad to hear you feel better. It does feel like a miracle when you finally get out from under that cloud of pain. As a 38 year old, myself I really feel we have been done quite a disservice not only by the MSG makers, but the formula makers as well - who quietly added the missing amino acid taurine to their formulas in 1986. Before 1986, baby formula did not have enough taurine in it. Taurine is adversely affected by MSG, in adults who can make it. Babies can't even make taurine yet. I think that is why most of my friends wear corrective lenses and have thyroid conditions, and migraines. Formula made before 1986 was hardly "complete" and definitely inferior to human breast milk. The hubris of the food industy at that time has been our undoing. We were fed terribly. During childhood, I remember eating Lipton chicken noodle soup all the time for lunch, and even Lipton Onion soup mix put in our hamburgers and potato chip dip. I remember eating Doritos as a teenager. We were fed MSG since day one, and I'm just counting American foods here.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, I'm SO glad you came to that class and that you are sharing your story here. Keep up the great job you are doing...your whole family will benefit. And it will get easier to find the foods you need. And please share your story with those around you...it's amazing to find out how many people you know who are struggling with some problem due to excitotoxins.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to know if anyone has had seizures.caused by msg for the last 8 yrs i think this is the cause of mine,i am still trying to convince my Dr. all the meds he has me on has not helped,so i am doing my own investigating,& i think i may have finally found the cause.any info would be helpful
dee
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 1:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody, I have just 'awakened' to this nighmare reality that *you* are absolutely right and *they* are poisoning our food supply. I have been a registered nurse for 10 years, and in the medical profession for about 14 total. They don't teach you about "MSG symptom complex" in med school (or nursing school). I used to eat a lot of quick-fix pre-prepared dinners and processed food (stuffed with hidden MSG) due to (1) a busy schedule and (2) not knowing what I know now.

Around 96, I started having severe anxiety/panic attacks which progressed through the years (I attributed it to work stress)and around 97-98, I began to have migraines as well, which also steadily increased in occurance. By 2002-3 the panic attacks subsided (some) and the migraines increased in frequency and duration - 3 weeks ago I was having migraines 2-3 times per week! (Hot flashes, irregular heart beats, pain around the eyes, blurred vision as well).

MD's told me they were "stress headaches." the hypnotherapist didn't have a clue... , the homeopathic Dr only scratched his head, the opthamologist gave me a clean bill of health and a very pricey 'Neurologist' wanted to put me on Paxil, which I refused.

As of late, the migraines were not only severe, but would come 2-3 times per week, each episode lasting for 12-48 hours, some accompanied by gut wrenching nausea and or vomiting. The last several years have been horrible.

THEY ARE GONE. NO MORE MIGRAINES. I had suspected I was reacting to something in food, but couldn't identify *what* exactly, because it was very elusive - Then I ran across a site by a gal from vanderbuilt university who spoke of MSG and Migraines, and what did I have to lose? So I gave it a try (practically starved not knowing what to eat at first). It worked!! No more hellish pain!!! And I am able to sleep better than I ever was and even remember my dreams!

"Thank You" is an understatement. I have been telling literally everyone I know and meet about this. It is a travesty and an injustice that this has been ignored for so long by the very people who are supposed to be 'protecting' the consumer.

Dee
Madison
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dee, I know what you mean about doctors not knowing about this. I've been telling everyone I know about MSG. Most of my friends and family are finally beginning to listen. My cousin went though the same thing you did with headaches, and she also had seizures occasionally. She says she is using Debby's book all the time now and feels wonderful. What is it going to take to get the word out to more clueless people who are buying into drugs and doctors who are telling them it's something else? It might be interesting to note, that some anti-seizure medications are glutamate blockers. MSG=monosodium glutamate. And doctors think that all that excess glutamate is not coming from our food?! Debby A. and husband, my family thanks you for your work.
dj
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dee,

your story sounds so familiar.
along with all the many symptoms of MSG poisoning, it was the daily "optic migraines"
that forced me to look for whatever was the cause,
along with severe Rosacea (that i am happy to say
is almost gone, as long as i don't consume MSG, of
course!!!) Last winter was my first in 7 years where i did not need antibiotics!! Whooppeeee!!
i pray that people will listen when you try to
tell them you have the answer.....but, you know what......most of them don't. One, they don't think it is that simple, and two, they are not "sick enough yet" as Deb A. says, to change
their eating habits.....
Deb A's book is priceless.....
Keep telling people, even if they don't listen. That is what i do :-).
Fran
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous

YES YES YES. At the age of 22 I suddenly started having seizures. I was told it was epilepsy and given meds for it. The meds were awfull. I faithfully took them for 18 years, still had seizures and some near death experiences. I also developed a condition called atrial fibrillation which is another electrical problem, but in the electrics of the heart. Too me I thought the two must be connected but my Dr's said no. About two years ago I managed to convince my Dr to send me to a neurologist and get a full EEG as I did not beleive what I had was true epilepsy. The results came back that I did not have epilepsy. I started weaning myself off the drugs. I was only on Tegretol at this time. I had bad sleep when I did this and felt really spaced out and my brain seemed to go too quick but too slow??!!!

At the same time about two and half years ago I gave up all forms of MSG and foods high in free glutamate. The result - NO MORE SEIZURES, NO MORE ATRIAL FIBRILLATION, not to mention the fibromyalgia, migraine etc I had also got after a lifetime of MSG poisoning.

I am 43 now. And have began to live my life again. Please learn all you can about MSG and learn to live without it. It will turn your life round. The neurologist I saw said lots of people with seizures say MSG causes it in them, but once in a while he has tested after giving them MSG and nothing has happened so he is not convinced. I think it has to do with a build up, otherwise we would have been seizing all the time.

Best of luck

Fran
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading your stories here...well, you can just imagine how happy it makes Mike and I. Fran, I was about your age when I got my life back again, too. Until then, I felt so old and sick, I wanted to die. I know there are many more people like that out there still, but we are making a dent here. By sharing our stories, we are doing more than we know sometimes...even when people don't seem like they believe us, others are listening and applying the information. Just keep doing it, and don't be afraid of what people think, ever. Thank you all for the work you are all doing in your own circles. It is making a huge difference.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fran my story is so much like yours i would love to tell you mine but i dont want to take up all your time so i will try to make it short & sweet,after 6 yrs with a nuero i told him i thought i had finally made the connection to MSG.but he said he did"nt believe in the MSG theory but he told me to load up on chinese food & he put me in the hospital for 24hrs.sure enough i had a seizure.spent4hrs on the floor they forgot to put the bed rails up,anyway he still will not believe MSG is the cause of my seizures but i do so any info you can give me on what to eat or what not to eat i will really appreciate cause i am scared to eat just about anything,thanks
Fran
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous

I probably live in a different country to you. I am in NW Highlands of Scotland. So for me to recommend food will be quite hard.

Have you got a copy of Deb A's book. That will be a great start. It is full of great recipes and substitutes. Until then what I would suggest is that you find a good source of fresh meat, fish and veggies. Organic if poss. Try not to buy them prepacked. Eggs should be quite safe (unless you have an allergy) but go for omega 3 if you can afford.

Avoid things like sausage meat, bacons, hams and deli meats. Chickens can be notoriously bad too unless you can find fresh ones in a butchers etc.

I found it easier to cook from scratch than to read every label on every package or can. Infact I found out that more or less all prepackaged food has a form of MSG in.

If you say what area you live in others on the board will be able to tell you of safe brands in your area. I tend to buy direct from farms as well as eat locally produced meat, fish and veggies. So I even know what/where they ate or were grown in.

Another thing if you haven't heard it. High protein diets are supposed to be good for people susceptable to seizures. Did you hear about the ketagenic diet (SP). Unfortunately this diet does not take into effect MSG hidden or blatently labled in some protein foods.

I wonder why so many neurologists as so sceptical about MSG involvement in seizures. They must have hundreds of clients who insist it is MSG related if yours and mine had heard of it.

Fran
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How in the world can they say that MSG is not related to seizures when some hospitals already advise against eating MSG if you are taking anti-seizure meds? The neurologists you speak of are obviously being negligent by not doing their homework. I am appalled that one would put a patient at risk that way by encouraging eating lots of Chinese food to induce the problem. Whatever happened to "First do no harm?" . Talk about ethics.....
Hoteru
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,
This month marks the ninth year since I figured out msg makes me very sick. Prior to discovering NOMSG and later this site I had no idea of the hidden names of msg and got very sick frequently after innocently eating the wrong thing. I was so miserable for so long, it affected every aspect of my work and private life.
About four years ago I found this site and have been so grateful to find so much information.
Part of ther information I needed, but didn't have, was that what makes me so sick is deliberately hidden in food by people so greedy they will knowing make other people sick for profit.
Thank you to everyone for all your good ideas.
I have also seen tremendous support for those just beginning to understand their illness is due
to what they eat or use on their skin. I am so happy with them when someone makes the connection and their lives improve.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoteru, congratulations for 9 "healthier" years!!! We're so glad you found us!
I'm trying to remember when we first started this site....been awhile now. Yesterday, an MSG senstive friend called to tell me how upset she was...she had just done a search on MSG and found one that talked about how safe it was. She went on to ask me, " How can they claim that??? My husband and I begin to feel fuzzy as soon as we eat that garbage by mistake!" I remeinded her that most of these sites are backed by the food or glutamate industry, people in the food business, such as restauranteurs, or people who believe such propoganda and enjoy controversy. Then I told her that for years there were only the pro-MSG sites, but that in just a few short years, there are now many more against it. Anyone can write about their own experiences with MSG and make their own site. The more the merrier!! If any of you do, let me know so that we can link our site to yours, such as Carol's www.msgtruth.org...which is wonderful, BTW.
It's been 9 years this Feb., Hoteru, for me, too! Can't believe it. The horrible 21 years preceding my discovery about MSG are a blur I don't even like to remember...can't believe I am still alive after what I went through, actually. I know many who can say the same thing. And I know that so many are still caught in that terrible nightmare...we must not give up sharing what we know. Always good to hear from you.
Robyn Nuttall
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 8:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading your site with great interest. I recently had Transient Global Amnesia for about 5 hours but as I forgot what I did before, i didn't know what caused it! I suspected that I may have had a diet coke and I know that I get withdrawal symptoms when I stopped drinking it in the past.(I now no longer touch it!) However besides, over the years, attributing a migraine or 2 that I have had to MSG, I hadn't noticed any dire consequences.

Now it is over a week since I had the TGA and I still feel spacey and faint--and I havn't touched Aspartame in that time. I have intended avoiding MSG too but I see that it takes on a number of different forms, so will need to be extremely vigilant in future. Could you tell me the names and numbers of the other substances that might mimic MSG and Aspartame please?
thanks
Robyn
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 3:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robyn,

The link below will take you to a list of substances that could be causing you trouble.

http://www.ideatown.com/ntxa/ntxalist.html
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 8:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robyn,

Please be aware that aspartame is now found in many products you would not realize - like gums and candies WITH sugar in them, Listerine breath strips, some chewable vitamins, Alavert allergy medicine. It is insidious now, and ubiquitous. (Hidden and everywhere). Read every label you can.
Marcia y
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see Dr. Russell Blaylocks ad on http://www.newsmax.com/.? Scroll down...he talks
about floride and that it is a neuro-toxin.
His book changed my life and I was so pleased to see this article on http://www.newsmax.com/
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link, Marcia. We can add fluoride to the toxins polluting us. So far our community does not add fluoride to our water. People are trying to change that, however.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Per the chart in the link below, ion exchange unit type water filters will remove fluoride.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/health/watertap/ch6.htm
Marcia y
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a reverse osmosis water system in our house and I'm so thankful for it.
Thanks Roy for the info...
MELISSA
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH MSG FOR 9 YRS NOW I GET SICK OFTEN CLOSE TO EVERY TWO MONTHS NOBODY HERE AT THE U.S. CAUGHT IT I HAD TO GO DOWN TO MEXICO I AM STILL STRUGGLING ANYBODY WITH ADVISE......MELISSA
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might find our book very helpful...check it out at www.msgmyth.com. Other than that, keep reading and learning all you can in order to avoid the hidden forms of MSG. Doctors here don't know much about MSG.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa,

Here's a link to hidden forms of MSG:

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/hiddensources.htm
Marlene Emmett
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm a newcomer to the site. I have posted a couple of things before but in the wrong place. I've figured it out now though so here goes! I've suffered with migraine headaches since teenage years. About twelve years ago they took a turn for the worse with debilitating vertigo added to the equation. I've had to give up my job, can't go out on my own at all and life was pretty unbearable, particularly with feeling so bad all the time. I've been on all sorts of tablets and had MRI scans, and numerous tests but nothing seemed to make any difference. The diagnosis was always vestibular migraine. One day I found details of a book on a migraine website called " Heal your Headache" by David Buchholz. It was the most enlightening book I'd read on the subject(and I'd read a lot).It was in there that I first heard about MSG. I wanted to find out more so I went on the internet and was so excited to find this website. I immediately ordered Debbie's book and was absolutely fascinated by what I read and even more excited that it might offer me a way out of my problems.So at present I'm following the headache diet (basically a wholesome, natural diet)but paying special attention to msg, which incidentally Dr Buchholz says is a very potent migraine trigger even if it's the last ingredient on the label. It's been nearly four months now and things are starting to slowly improve. My light sensitivity is about 80% better and I no longer need the curtains shut all the time, I can now spend much longer on the computer without getting a headache and becoming dizzy and altogether things are improving.I've a long way to go but at least I'm on the right road now. What really made me sit up and think was the fact that everytime I had a bad day and checked in my food diary(a brilliant way to check things out because it's so easy to forget what you've eaten)I'd always had something with malted barley or malt extract in it.I had no idea to start with that this could mean msg. I found out from Debbie's book. Then I had a very bad reaction after I'd had some shop bought birthday cake. I looked on the label and wrote down all the ingredients and looked them up one by one. There were 26 possible msg connections and 13 definates!! I'm learning! I'm due to go back to the hospital this week to see the consultant.Last visit I took the book with me and asked if I could come off all medication while giving it a go. She agreed saying that if it didn't work she'd try me on amytriptilines. But I'm going to ask for more time because what I'm doing now has given me better results than all the drugs put together! We grow our own vegetables in the garden and this week have discovered our local farm shop.I seem to have a problem with some breads so I'm going to make my own.I can onnly find fast bake yeast though and I gather that may cause problems. On a closing note there was a two page spread in our local paper yesterday entitled "What all those numbers on the label are really hiding...". It said that "Last month the Co-op brand banned artificial colours and the flavour enhancer MSG in all its own label foods because of the potential links to food intolerance. Two years ago ASDA removed MSG from many products and from September all of it's own brand foods will be MSG free." I suppose MSG will just appear under another name but it's interesting that they acknowledge there's a problem isn't it. By the way I live in Nottingham in the UK and would love to know if there are any others in the uk like me so that we can swap notes on brands etc..
Anonymous

Posted From: 66.222.146.4
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I'm not adding much here so I'll just say what I have to say and be on my way.

I suspect I suffer from mild MSG sensitivity. Every time I order food from a particular chinese food restaraunt, I suffer a massive head/neck ache for the following 48 hours.

If I order similar dishes from the place that states on their menu "MSG free", everything is fine.

So there you have it... How I Made My MSG Connection :-)
Angie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was pretty miserable all the time with headaches, stomach problems and other "normal" aches and pains... until you realise that I am 23 years old. I felt like I was 100. I think I may have been suffering for a very long time. I can remember pretty much always having headaches and feeling horrible all the time, unfortunately as I have gotten older those headaches have turned into migraines. I also have very vivid bad dreams and even night terrors on occasion. Also, I have various stomach and digestive problems. For a while we thought I may have a problem with my gall bladder or that I had an ulser. So unfortunately pretty much my whole body is effected by MSG.

I got married a little over a year ago and my husband's father has an MSG sensitivity. It gives him night terrors. Finally one day my husband suggested that I also have a MSG sensitivity. I looked all the information that I could at work the next day. Fortunately I found this site.

I only made this discovery about a month ago and I still have a ways to go, but I have improved a lot.

Thank you so much for the book and the site! It has helped improve my life vastly!!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Angie, we are so happy that you found us and the answer to many of your health problems. And thanks for sharing your story...and you, too, Anonymous!
James
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

I feel bad today and thought I would ask anyone if they'd had a similar experience. I prepare quite a few of my meals in a blender. I make tomato soup once a week or so. It's moderately hot when done, after 5-6 minutes in the blender. I don't heat it otherwise, it doesn't need it. The tomatos are organic, as is the onion and pepper that I add (I know this is no guarantee that they're clean). The tomatos I buy are small (3" or so) and on the vine, so I use 4-6 of them at a time. So I made this yesterday and it was great! I had a couple of cups left over, so I refrigerated it, then heated it up on the stove today. Within an hour or so of eating it, I started to have my typical reaction: Tired, flushed feeling, mood changes, sinus swelling. I'm just about positive it was the tomato soup, I'm wondering if it's because I heated it up on the stove. I INTENTIONALLY didn't heat it for a long time, but maybe it spent too much time on the heat, regardless? Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out how to resolve my symptoms as quickly as possible. Ugh. I've feel good for many weeks now, too. The last time I had a problem it was pectin in preserves, I felt almost EXACTLY the same way.

James
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 9:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, I think the combination of being refrigerated overnight and being reheated on the stove may have put your soup over the edge. Tomato soup is tricky, but try using some tomatoes from the farmers market instead of the ones at the grocery store. It seems from my experience that I have a lot less trouble with tomatoes that haven't been gassed with ethylene to ripen them. I have tried buying the vine-ripened tomatoes (from the produce section) before but they still bother me (maybe vine-ripened means they leave them on the vine while gassing them, huh?). The tomatoes from the farmers market are tolerated very well by me and the kids even when cooked. The ethylene gassing must make a big difference.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James I don't know if you can get this brand, but I very safely use Cento canned ALL PURPOSE, CRUSHED TOMATOES. I have it in caps because they have a chef's blend crushed as well but that has citric acid. I use this for tomatoe soup, lentil/pasta soup, pasta and pizza. Yellow can. It says only "red ripe tomatoes" for ingredients. I have a lot of trouble with leftover tomatoe anything and leftovers in general. i pop everything into the freezer and then defrost it to use. A bit of a pain, but no headaches there. Mariann
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen to what Mariann said and what Kristy said. I have had the same experience with chili made from fresh tomatoes. Bacteria is always present in the air and foods. Even while the food is chilled in the fridge overnight, fermentation is going on. That's why it's a good idea to freeze such leftovers...especially ones high in naturally occurring glutamate like tomatoes. Even the high acid content adds to the breakdown of glutamate into free glutamate...and reheating adds to the process. I raise tomatoes and buy at farmers market and freeze extras all summer long for the winter months. Just pop them into freezer bags if small, or quarter if large. To use, just semi-defrost and whirl in the blender...and never boil...simmer on low heat.
James
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into local stuff and check for that brand. As I mentioned, I do buy the vine ripened organic, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were gassed. I didn't even know about that method of ripening until a month ago :-(

I'm still trying to put a few weeks of feeling good together, back to back. From there, I'd like to start adding stuff slowly and see what I can tolerate. I usually go a week or so now, but I always run into something. Last week it was the tomato thing. Before that, I ate some cottage cheese and felt terrible 2 hours later. I've Just got to stick to the basic stuff, but it's hard to do. I think I do really well, but these little things sneak into my diet and I'm reminded that I have to stick to simple, whole food for now.

James
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James,

Regarding cottage cheese I primarily watch out for carrageenan.
James
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 6:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, I definitely avoid carrageenan. They organic stuff I buy doesn't have anything odd in it. Funny thing was, I added it to smoothies for a week, then finally one day I reacted to it. I don't know why I got 3/4 of the way through the container and then had a problem, maybe it wasn't the cottage cheese. It was the only "questionable" thing in my diet at the time though, unless I got some tainted fruit...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cottage cheese often contains dry whey and milk solids...rich in free glutamate. I cannot find one product that does not contain either carrageenan, whey, or gums like carob and guar. All of these are hydroyzed products that contain some glutamate. Beware of vegetable gums like those mentioned. There are others lurking out there. I have done okay with Knudsen's 4% Cottage cheese, but it does contain one questionable additive. But I eat it rarely and usually it's mixed with other ingredients to make lasagna or other dishes. Avoid low fat dairy products as they have more dangerous thickeners and dry milk solids added to pump them up. You reacted most likely, because the amount of glutamate you were ingesting was building up in your system until it hit your tolerance level.
James
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 7:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb. The cottage cheese I was eating is this: http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cottage-cheese/regular/. It's got guar gum and a couple of other questionable ingredients, which is a let-down. Oh well :-( Interesting how you mention the "build-up". This makes sense as it takes me 2 or 3 days to feel somewhat normal again, even if I stick to lean organic meat and clean vegetables.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to run out of things to eat that aren't vegetables or fruit. I make 2 smoothies per day, but I'm starting to wonder about the yogurt. While it's organic and the label is completely clean, I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble with the dairy. I guess I could go with straight fruit and ice...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most yogurts are made with pectin, which may or may not contain glutamate. Yogurt often has dry milk added to it to make it thicker and richer in protein, especially the low fat varieties. Yogurt is very easy to make. Just heat a quart of milk (organic whole milk like Organic Valley..gallon jugs are not ultrapasteurized) to lukewarm and stir in 3 or 4 Tablespoons Dannon whole milk yogurt or Stoneyfield or Brown Cow. These are three of the "cleaner" yogurts. I make it in a glass bowl or in my yogurt maker. If using a bowl, cover with saran wrap. Lay out a clean bath towel and place the bowl in center. Pull up the towel ends around the bowl and place the bowl in a warm place, like the top of the fridge. Let it set for 2 days and then chill and eat. You can add some sugar and vanilla with the yogurt when making it.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, i am going to try this! and also will share your recipe with my brother, who is starting to learn about all of this too... his family lives up in the mountains so they dont have access to a variety of options, just whatever the local store decides to carry... i bet he will be excited to be able to make his own yogurt!

for those who are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's nearby... i found they carry one with nothing but whole milk and cultures: "Trader Joe's European Style Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt"

i wasnt able to eat yogurt for years... tummy upset every single time... then i read what DebA and others had to say about dry milk powders, whey, pectin, carrageenan, etc... and realized THATS what was doing it. Now i am so happy to discover, i can have real yogurt again... and no more tummy aches!

now if only there were still a REAL cottage cheese or ricotta out there...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done okay with Knudsen's whole cottage cheese, but I would not eat it every day, since it does contain some vegetable gum...but the rest of the ingredients are better than most. I have a friend who makes her own. She adds some vinegar or lemon juice to some milk and heats it on low till it curdles. She lets it sit a few minutes and strains out the whey liquids. I don't have a recipe, but there must be some on the internet.
varaleau@osteoporosis-vitamins.com
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When dining out (especially at a Chinese or Thai restaurant) I was always more sensitive to MSG than my friends. I learned to recognize the nausea and paralysis and would make excuses to remain seated for an extra 30 minutes or hour until I had recovered. I am now taking synthroid for thyroid disease-which inhibits calcium absorption and can result in bone loss. As osteoporosis is rampant in my family, I now take strontium citrate and high dose vitamin D to prevent osteoporosis. The following website may be of assistance to others with a similar experience. http://www.osteoporosis-vitamins.com
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 9:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with any product that contains citrate or citric acid, especially if they are made from corn, which is high in glutamate.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

citric acid and citrate is a huge trigger for myself and my youngest daughter....its in tinned everything as far as i can tell and most candy, sweets and confectionary. Its hard to avoid if you eat anything thats a convenience food. I recently bought organic tinned tomatoes..youve guessed it...citric acid in them!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out