Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

My MSG drama w/ College Inn Chicken ...

Battling the MSG Myth » How You Made the MSG Connection » My MSG drama w/ College Inn Chicken Broth « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just spent 2 days recovering from MSG poisoning and I need to vent.
Well, my dear aunt has been making me "homemade lentil soup" for our last several lunch dates. Oddly, I recall that each time Iíve visited her the last few times, I have gotten sick. Maybe, it was this or that which I ate before my other visit with her? Maybe, it was all in my mind?
Well earlier this week, she again makes her special lentil soup especially for me --- she knows about my sensitivity to food additives. Regardless, I always go over the ingredients with her Ė she told me she again will make it simply with a little tomato sauce and pureed fresh vegies (celery, onions, carrots). I eat an especially large bowl with her reassurance of its wholesomeness. Afterwards, she takes my blood pressure to test out her new blood pressure machine. My blood pressure was 135 over 85 (and I am normally 120 over 70). I find it odd.
After 2 hours following the lunch, I drive home on the Garden State Parkway and as as soon as I hit with Driscoll Bridge (where there is no stopping) I start to get the feeling as if there were bubbles deep in my lungs and an irregular heart beat and I detect that I am getting very depressed --- thinking about the world ending kind of depressed --- which I never get. Then the gurgling on the right side of my stomach with colicky pain --- fortunately, the next rest stop is only 4 miles and I drive less than the speed limit in the right lane in hopes of getting there. After stopping 3 more times and even staying at each one for at least 15 extra minutes, I am totally wiped out and absolutely freezing and shaking. Fortunately, I had a bottle of water, salt and sugar with me that I keep in my handbag for such emergencies to stop me from passing out. I see hospital signs and think about whether I can find one. I call my husband at the last rest stop to tell him what happened and give him my estimated arrival time home --- just in case. I do make it home.
That night, I try to eat a little plain pasta because I am terribly hungry despite the days events. It apparently gets lodged in my very sore intestines. I am in severe pain for several hours. (If you get digestive reactions to MSG, I suggest you stick to only liquids). I canít sleep --- my mind is racing. I just lie in bed exhausted and canít even read.
The next day, I sleep a lot. My brain doesnít work Ė I pick up the newspaper and canít retain anything Iíve read.
The next day, I call my aunt -- I ask her again for her recipe and this time, she reports her hidden ingredient of College Inn Chicken Broth that she ALWAYS uses (and never mentioned ever before).
Now at least I know it was the added MSG and natural flavors in the canned broth.
Canned broth with additives is the major culprit in many restaurant dishes and absolute poison to me.
Gosh, if I can't trust my dear aunt, who can I trust? And she now tells me she has been using this stuff for years in alot of her dishes. She won't consider the fact that this may add to her own heart irregularities. I told her about Tomís experiences with his heart which he has posted here --- she wonít listen other than to say I shouldnít believe everything I read on the internet. At least, I am better today and able to write this in hopes of helping someone else.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ,

I find that taking 3 ibuprofen will reverse my mental effects from MSG poisoning at any stage of the reaction. I always carry them with me just in case. Nothing else has ever helped me at all. As for College Inn broth, I think your aunt needs an education.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction: at any stage where I'm still conscious. Obviously if I'm blacked out I am unable to take them.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will add ibuprofen to the salt, sugar, and water that I carry. Thanks Roy.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ, I am so sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal. I went through the same thing with turkey gravy that my mom insisted she had made from scratch for Thanksgiving dinner years ago. I picked her brain and she insisted she made it the way she always made it. I got SO sick...when my sister questioned her again, she admitted to adding a package of onion soup mix. She doesn't get it...or doesn't believe anything...mind has always been a steel trap!!! Love her, though! She is a bit more forthright about her food now when I am there. Now my sister's husband is very MSG reactive and so is my sister, and they still try to get my mom, who lives with them, to eat and cook more sensibly. Mom doesn't get the headaches or stomach distress, but she does have thyroid disease, joint swelling, and a few other more minor ailments. If one doesn't react with real pain, one tends to resist believing us or making diet changes. I take Tri-salts, drink water with fresh lemon juice, and take 3 Ibuprofen if I get ill. If I can't sleep, I take a generic Benedry pill...makes me sleepy and helps as an anti-histamine along with the anti-inflammatory Ibuprofen.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diarrhea! There I said it. I hate it! Anyway. Those who have this reaction to MSG should find this quote from Dr. Blaylock helpful:
"So, when you're consuming MSG, the level of glutamate in the blood can rise as high as 20-fold. You get very high glutamate levels in the blood after eating a meal containing MSG. You're stimulating all of the glutamate receptors. That's why some people get explosive diarrhea, because it stimulates the receptors in the esophagus and small bowel. Others may develop irritable bowel, or if they have irritable bowel, it makes it a lot worse...."

Originally published September 27 2006. Interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock on devastating health effects of MSG, aspartame and excitotoxins)
http://www.newstarget.com/z020550.html

This site is really worth reading --- it refers to other conditions caused by MSG!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's a very good interview. I should post the link on our site.
stephaniesherie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 6:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! I am so glad you pinned down where the MSG was coming from!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page