Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Shampoo/Hair Color Success Story

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your MSG Story/Recovery » Shampoo/Hair Color Success Story « Previous Next »

Susan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 5:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried many, many organic and natural shampoos, Aveda products, etc. without being happy with the results and/or ingredients. Several months ago, I started using Tropical Traditions organic liquid soap as shampoo, and have been very happy with it. I don't use a conditioner, but bought a "tek" brand anti-static hair brush which works for me. I use Mehandi.com henna (and sometimes mix it with a little indigo) to dye my hair, and everywhere I go, I get compliments on my shiny hair with natural highlights--it's all from the henna product which is so easy to use, and so much less expensive than a salon. Mehandi.com has several hennas to choose from. I use the "Henna from Yemen" which makes my naturally light-brown-with-plenty-of-gray hair a rich auburn with highlights. You simply mix their henna powder with lemon juice until it's thick like yogurt, let it set overnight, then put it on your hair the next morning for about an hour or so, then rinse out. You can freeze the leftovers and thaw for root touch-ups. You can use the henna over chemical dyes without a problem. Once you start using henna, though, you must let your hair grow out to use chemical dyes again. Hope this helps some of you ladies who are searching for the right products.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 3:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Susan, We use the pure coconut bar soap from tropicaltraditions.com for shampoo and we love it. I have also heard great things about henna. I remember getting henna hand decorations in my younger days - it was a lot of fun, no chemicals, no smell. Thanks for the info.
karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 12:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Mom needs something for her back. She has had a exzema like itch on her back all her life and it is not real bad. Right now she uses Eucerin. Is there anything more natural that she could use?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 1:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your mom avoid MSG? It's often the real cause for eczema, hives, and other skin disorders.
Susan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you discover it's not caused by MSG: I had a case of shingles last year and ordered a product online called Terrasil Max (silver oxide). It's supposed to heal all types of skin conditions. The doctor was amazed at how quickly my shingles disappeard. (I was taking what she prescribed--an antiviral and steroid as well.) I also used it on a plantar's wart on the bottom of my foot and it went away and hasn't come back for over a year. You have to use it faithfully twice a day. I tried to research silver oxide on the internet and got mixed reviews. My doctor had no problem with me using it.
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 7:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are working on getting good food. I have ordered a quarter side of organic beef and also buy organic eggs and chicken. It seems like it takes so long to get all this together. I will check out the silver oxide. That is good to know if any one gets shingles.
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading the posts on tooth paste but am confused on what to use. I had been using baking soda and at the dental collage they told me not to use that as it is to harsh. So what do I use that is really safe? Sometimes I don't use anything and my mouth does not feel clean at all.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen, the lotion or moisturing cream from Tropicaltraditions.com works very well for skin irritations. It is pure with no GMOs or unhealthy ingredients. I like using straight virgin coconut oil for my skin as well (especially as a facial moisturizer). I agree with Deb that food additives are often the underlying cause of eczema and other skin problems. My very first visible symptom was a form of eczema on my fingers and palms. It was tiny blisters that itched and hurt and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I tried different lotions and soaps because it was on my hands, but it was caused by ingesting corn derivatives. If only I had known then what I know now, I could have saved myself years of misery.

As for toothpaste, I found baking soda too harsh and it actually made my daughter nauseous. We use the pure coconut bar soap from tropical traditions. You could try any pure bar soap (just no detergents or liquid soaps) - I know there are several olive oil soaps with some even being available at whole foods. I have had a lot of success finding pure soaps at my farmers market, too. You just want a bar soap with the only ingredients being a fat (or more than one) and lye. (for instance: olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, sodium hydroxide and water. Some don't even list lye and water as ingredients since they is used up in the saponification process) You could still use baking soda once or twice a week if you wanted some mild abrasive. My dentist was quite impressed with our teeth at our last checkup and we use only coconut soap for toothbrushing.

If your Mom would try removing all obvious corn derivatives and fga additives from her diet, the rash would probably disappear on it own. If not, she may progress to breathing problems, digestive issues, migraines, and joint pain like I did.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen I was a little nervous about using baking soda on my teeth, but at my last check up just a bit ago my Hygeniest said, Well I see you are a good flosser. I am like everyone a flosser that is not as diligent as I should be. I was using baking soda then instead of toothpaste, that was the only difference. I told the dentist and he said it was fine and that the soda wasn't abrasive enough to cause a problem, just don't scrub too hard. It does make your mouth taste good after you rinse with water, the water tastes almost sweet. Does a great job on the tongue too, we should not forget that. Anyway whatever works for you and doesn't make you sick is the way to go. Mariann
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 2:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the responces. I ordered some of the products from Tropical Traditions but have not recieved them yet. Will let you all know how well they work.
I ordered a quarter of organic beef that will be ready in about one month. I got a sample of it and it is so good.
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 5:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get so much awesome info here - thanks guys. Aveda has (had?) heavy metals. I discovered this 15 yrs ago when the top layer of my fingernails turned black! I could scrap it off, but clearly, not good for me. I know I react to a number of metals, even 14kt gold leaves black residue on my skin. Earrings always turn, I never wear costume jewelry. Actually I wear none now, though my wedding ring is 18kt and does not turn my skin. I like my Kronos hair products, but noticed they have hydrogenated oils in them - WHY!?? And after my experience with msg in hair color and my severe reaction to that I'm thinking why do I want to put on my head what I won't put in my body? I did not do well with organic lavendar shampoos for some reason, they make me itch/sting. Am still looking and will try tropical traditions now - thanks. Also - skin rashes I had since childhood have gone away and when I first started my god diet, the only immediate benefit I noticed was healthy nails for the first time in my life. I did stick with it (as I have posted elsewhere) and am feeling well all the time now! I picked up some Taurine the other day, but am having trouble deciding what to do with it. Take it all the time to prevent issues - I understand this may keep convince the body to slow down manufacture, don't want to do that! But do want to protect myself from damage caused by Glutamate. Can anyone point me to research? Again thank you all and God Bless you!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 1:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if anyone can recommend an eczema cream for a child of 18 months? If its not available in Europe i could order on line. Its just that my daughter has been clear of eczema for a few weeks now since we stopped her eating msg and free glutamates. She has other reactions too. Since a "run in" with some tomato sauce this week her eczema has flared up again.Since she was small i have used a cream (i forget the name of it and ive just it put in the bin yesterday!) and always felt it made matters worse not better. I read the label just seconds before i was about to apply it yesterday and saw it had hydrogenated plant oil as one of the main ingredients. So that would explain why it aggrevated the eczema if it was, as i now know, a reaction to glutamate in the first place. Having checked her shampoo i see it is in there as well. This explains why bathtime never resulted in a sleepy baby ready for bed as hyperactivity was one of her reactions to MSG, and after a bath she can run around for hours even though its bedtime and she was tired prior to the bath!! I was just curious to know if anyone could recommend an eczema cream free of any glutamate. Thanks for your help
Ali
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, if you can get your hands on some goat's milk soap, with no citric acid or other bad ingredients, it works like a charm. My daughter has a lot of trouble with eczema and it helped her, she also made a lotion with pure aloe as the base and calendula essential oil. I think Kristy on this site gets safe lotions from Tropical Traditions, try googling it. Good luck Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, me again. Look at the posts at the top of the page and see if any apply. It is a good way to see archives as you do your daily check. Mariann
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mariann, i did read the posts above thas what prompted me to put the question here. I was asking because i wanted something suited to a babies delicate skin. Thanks so much for the goats milk soap tip. My dad lives in Crete were handmade goats milk soap is available in the craft and pottery shops as is olive soaps and shampoos. Time to phone dad! Ill get him to post some over for me. Ali
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 10:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realised that i made an error. It is hydrolised oil that is in the cream not hydrogonated. Ali
Mel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had severe and extremely painful excema all over my arms and legs last year - never had it before. I tried just about every cream on the market (all-natural ones) and took many things to try to heal it to no avail. However, I then was told of Arborescens Aloe* and within a week of taking it, my excema began to heal - I wasn't doing anything else for it at that time. It was nothing short of a miracle for me and it is now completely healed. I know I sound like an infomercial - lol, but it is powerfully good stuff :-). I took high dosages of the Aloe and while it was rather expensive, it was well worth it! I am now on a maintenance dose of 1 tbs per day.

*It is not for babies however as there is raw honey in it, but maybe a good quality Aloe Vera would help (I don't know if babies can have Aloe so please ask your doctor first). The Arborescens Aloe variety is superior to the Aloe Vera but the only source out there for this variety of aloe has raw honey in it.

After spending hours researching, I ended up making my own ointment that worked well for me as far as helping to soothe, but there is an ointment that a woman developed for her baby's skin troubles that I did use occaisionally and really liked the feel and smell of - it didn't heal me but many others have said it has helped: http://www.emilyskinsoothers.com/

Hope that helps!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mel. She is over one so she can have honey, but i need to check more carefully. Ill google it and have a look. Ill also look into the baby cream, that may be more of an option for Isla. I have to say diet alone does seem to cure it. Not sure if its an MSG reaction or just something else in processed foods...who knows....Its a mindfield. But given that cream high in glutamate exasperates it, ill place my bets on MSG!!! Thanks for you help.
Ali
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Vanicream for my 2 year old daughter. She used to have excema problems and this lotion worked great for her. I also use it for my dry hands and have really liked it. Here is a link for it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanicream-Moisturizing-Skin-Cream-453/dp/B0000ZHH5G
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Emily, ill look at that too.
Ali

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page