Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

IT'S NOT ONLY IN YOUR FOOD!

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your MSG Story/Recovery » IT'S NOT ONLY IN YOUR FOOD! « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 71.82.5.15
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG IS LURKING OUT THERE, AND IT IS NOT ALWAYS IN THE FOOD YOU EAT. CHECK OUT YOUR HAIR AND SKIN PRODUCTS. THEY ARE INCHING THEIR WAY INTO YOUR LIFE FROM ALL ANGLES. BE AWARE OF "HYDROLYZED PROTEINS" AND "AUTOLYZED EXTRACTS" IN YOUR HAIR SPRAYS, SHAMPOOS, CONDITIONERS, LOTIONS! SURE YOU AREN'T EATING THEM BUT YOU ARE SPRAYING THEM ON YOUR BODY AND CAN MAKE THEIR WAY THROUGH YOUR PORES.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 6:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that's true. There are many discussions here about that fact. Thanks for reminding all of us.
Anonymous

Posted From: 99.174.93.254
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In general, I feel awareness to MSG connects to a lot of other things, if you are willing to face it. I see a lot of mention of purchasing food at Walmart and support of many other giant food-related corporations. I'm not saying that inherently a large corporation is going to be hurting you, but that often does seem to be the case. Do you trust preservatives that don't contain MSG just because they don't give you an MSG reaction? What about those people who don't notice the affects of MSG, but we say are still affected? If you have been poisoned once in this sea of denatured food, chances are it is still happening in other ways.

Also, just the way Americans are living in general...the chemicals, cleaners, dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, bleaching all over the place to "kill germs," doing who knows what to your body in the name of killing germs or looking pretty, microwave ovens (particularly when you microwave with plastic), all kinds of chemical medicines. Not to mention that our tap water is now full of the same contaminants everything else is full of. I beg us all to learn this lesson from MSG, your body is based on natural equilibriums that science has frequently not taken into account.

I've seen this mentioned on here already, but I do feel this can lead to some things being falsely blamed for MSG, such as fruits and vegetables blamed for natural glutamate (although that could also be the pesticides/fertilizers). I'm not saying I know for a fact natural glutamate is safe (especially after one's inner natural levels are already exponentially out of whack)...it just makes it really hard to know what to trust. One thing this board proves is that when something is thrown off course in your body it causes a chain reaction. The studies I've read about glutamate narrowed it down enough for me to prove without a doubt that glutamate (and other aminos) is one of these elements being thrown off course, but there are others. It's just as important to change the way that we live, the way we treat our environment and our world and our selves, as it is to avoid MSG.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen to that. I think I can speak for many of us, that our discoveries about MSG have opened our eyes to other food additives and toxins in our air, water and other man made items. Most of us are becoming pretty savvy about the perils of processed foods, plastics, and other so called safe products. One door of information leads to many doors and it's wonderful that we have a format here to share such important information. We focus mainly on MSG, because we believe it to be one of the most dangerous food additives hidden in our food today. But we do discuss many important topics, which I am grateful for....have learned a lot. I avoid Walmart produce, but buy items there that I can't find anywhere else in our locale, like organic white flour. Some of have limited resources for shopping.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 5:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

what is it about Walmart produce that makes it bad? is it that you react or that you know something has been done to all of it?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly experience. I bought some pre-packaged organic ground beef from Safeway yesterday & had a horrible reaction to it. It smelled faintly like sulfur, but had nine days to go before the expiration date.

Since it was organic I went ahead and ate it. I guess I should have known better. Organic doesn't mean much, I suppose. Sulfites aren't supposed to be used in meat at all, much less organic ones.

I'd like to have it tested, but that would probably cost a lot. Is there a government agency that could possibly test if a consumer complains?

Jennifer
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started having reactions to organic meats as well and had to cut them out of my diet completely :-( I think I read on here somewhere that some stores use a cleaning agent to clean the meats or even the countertops where they are processed and packaged with a solution that has phosphates in it (and maybe sulphur or something that would cause the reactions).

Getting organic free range meats from farmers directly may be safer but they too could use cleaning agents...but at least you could ask them, whereas a store (like Whole Foods which is known to do this) may not reveal anything.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some meats are being dipped in citric acid solutions. Citric acid is considered natural and is added to many so-called organic products. That my be a problem in addition to the sulfuric acid solutions used to clean counter tops, and knives and machinery used to butcher them. As for the produce at Walmart, some of it is okay, I'm sure, but they ship it from further away than the other grocery store I shop at...some of it doesn't seem as fresh, and more preservatives are used often used for produce shipped longer distances. I've seen soy protein added to some of their ground round.
Marsha
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 4:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ate some plain ground serloin no seasoning no bread and had a headache and stomach pains soon after eating. The meat cutter at Whole Foods Market gave me the meat at no cost and asked me to let him know if I got a reaction. I'm going to asked about the cleaning product. We are seriously considering buy a second freezer, meat grinder and buy beef from a local farmer. I will let you know what Whole Foods says.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Marsha, I have started buying beef from a local farm and have not gotten sick at all. I am using our local farmer's markets and adding more and more food to my list of safe things to eat. The cleaning agents are important. My farmer checked with the place that processed his beef just to be sure for me before I ate it. I love my local farmers. Mariann
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is info on this board somewhere about Whole Food's meat products - something to the effect of how they spray their meats with a solution that has something in it with msg (citric acid, phosphates or such) which is why some here can not eat meat from Whole Foods.

I think it is a great idea to buy directly from the farm!
Anonymous

Posted From: 76.28.59.142
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am severely deficient in vitmin D and suffer from extreme weakness. Can anyone recommend a vitamin D supplement that is safe. I keep finding gel capsules. I have a form with the capsule made from vegetable cellulose and may contain Ascorbyl palmitate and/or silica and another that is liquid from which contains vegetable glycerin, deionized water, orange natural flavor and lemon essential oil. Would I be better off using Carlsons Cod Liver Oil, or could anyone suggest something that they tolerate well. Would greatly appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page