Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can MSG be neutralized with something ?

Battling the MSG Myth » Share Your MSG Story/Recovery » Can MSG be neutralized with something ? « Previous Next »

pamper64
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if there was something that can be taken to neutralize MSG .
We often go out to dinner and I noticed that,besides the fact that the staff and cook are lying to us when we ask if the food has MSG in it,we feel almost sick at the end of the night.We also noticed that within 15-20 minutes into eating we have a kind of reaction that we can't stop eating.Apparently it is a side effect of MSG,that produces "excitotoxins" in the brain,that makes you so hungry and craving more.Kind of scramble up the "I had enough to eat" message to the brain. It is true that you could avoid those places, but more and more MSG is used in everything. I guess we are lucky not to have a worst reaction to it, but I realize that it is in part the reason why we are putting on weight.
For example.....if I cook at home with good ,clean ,organic fresh foods,all is well.We just eat like normal people...normal sizes and same goes for sweets (home made with care) and no weight problems.
But when we go out.....we are like ravenous animals.We can's stop eating and same goes for the sweets. It only took me 55 years to work out that it might be the MSG in the food we eat,when we eat out, that might have that reaction on us.Now,I realize that we could really avoid them, but surely there must be something that we could use ....safe and natural to cancel out that horrid feeling?
Like people who are allergic to MSG......if they have some by mistake....what do they take to counteract the effects of it?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There isn't any way to counteract the effects, but there are some things that can help with riding out the symptoms.

Taurine supplements are extremely popular and I take 1000mg every day. Ibuprofen helps too. Benadryl can help, since MSG can sometimes cause the release of histamine. Magnesium supplements are popular too although I haven't found a safe one at the store, and haven't gotten around to checking out online sources.

Unfortunately, I'm so sensitive that there's just no way I can eat at restaurants or at someone's house or pot-luck event without playing "20 questions", and when I do I'm almost always disappointed. It's just easier to make everything from scratch.

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are reactive to the toxic effects of excessive amount of glutamate added to processed and restaurants foods. It's not a true allergy. Since it is an endocrine disrupter, an inflammatory agent and vaso constrictor, our bodies react in various ways. Some people do not feel much at all, but their brain cells and other normal cells are being effected, even to the point of being damaged or destroyed. So if you are reacting the way you are to restaurant food and you know it is MSG, please try to avoid such foods, or keep trying to find a restaurant or items on a menu that are safer. The meds mentioned help diminish discomfort, but the excitoxic effects still hurt cells. You are right, MSG does interfere with hormones that tell us we are full. They also effect fat storage hormones and insulin and thyroid hormone levels.
iflysmooth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 12:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

International health sells Magnesium oil that works wonders!At least it does for me.Heres the link.www.ihsite.com/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to the site and read about the oil, but it mostly suggests rubbing into sore muscles...how do you use it for headaches?
Anonymous

Posted From: 69.210.243.171
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 6:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

avoiding MSG altogether is the best solution...that being said, using taurine or ibuprofen prior to a meal with MSG will help to neutralize the MSG...things to keep in mind: continued use of ibuprofen can cause gastrointestinal issues such as ulcer and bleeding...it is also known to cause anemia in some people so long term use should always be supplemented with wheatgrass, chlorophyll and aloe vera...magnesium is also helpful and magnesium oil is an excellent choice as the magnesium is absorbed through the skin...avoid MSG, high fructose corn syrup, soy products(excluding soy sauce, miso), table salt(use sea salt), artificial sweeteners(aspartame), gluten, casein and flouride...if you can do this, you will feel like a kid again and won't suffer from anything...bet
Anonymous

Posted From: 173.185.38.97
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 11:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes when suffering from the MSG extreme migraine accompanied by vomiting and nausea, it has been helpful to take 4 charcoal caps (available at most health food stores). I then follow with 4 more in a couple hours if the symptoms have not disappeared.
Also, as soon as I think I have been exposed (through food usually eaten at a restaurant) I will take 4 caps as well. This, so far, has prevented symptoms from appearing. However, just to be clear I am not sure I was exposed.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your reaction is Atrial Fibrillation, taking 300 mg or more of CoQ10 when the symptoms start helped me.

The reason?

MSG robs the cells of energy by opening the calcium channels of the cell. CoQ10 is an ATP energy source that will not only replenish the cell energy but also act as a calcium channel blocker to keep the MSG from robbing more cell energy. Of course you have to stop consuming the food that contains the MSG or the results will be nullified.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I've been looking but can't find anything supporting the fact that CoQ10 is a calcium channel blocker. Could you please tell me where you read that so I can forward it on to my friend. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page