Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Thanksgiving - Recipes for an MSG Fre...

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Thanksgiving - Recipes for an MSG Free Holiday « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 167.211.65.83
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone, planning my first MSG-free Thanksgiving. Secured an organic, free-range, no antibiotic, vegetarian fed Turkey but desperate for a recipe for Gravy to make with it. So may staples I used to use to help make the gravy are all full of MSG. Any recipes for Gravy and Homemade MSG-free Stuffing is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 6:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can tolerate wheat, you can use flour to thicken the turkey drippings for gravy. As for stuffing, again, if you tolerate wheat you can use homemade bread crumbs, butter, onion, poultry seasoning (or each individual spice that you like, i.e. sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, black pepper); and moisten with homemade chicken or vegetable stock.
marie12
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For stuffing seasoning I use Bell's seasoning, it's what everyone in New England uses, I think. I'm from New England and when I found it at a local store in Washington (state) I was so excited.

I've been on a gluten free diet for the last year, and making my own gf yeast bread has been challenging, and nearly all of the gf breads in the store have corn syrup or starch or potato starch, so I'm going to make a cornbread stuffing (with rice flour and corn meal). I skip the starches since I've discovered I'm also sulfite sensitive.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 9:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bell's seasoning:

http://www.bellsseasonings.com/BellsSeasoning.html
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always relieve the turkey of its wings and smash them up with a rolling pin (great stress reliever haha) and then simmer them in water with a handful of herbs and salt and pepper. I then add this to the juices and thicken with arrowroot. Some might have issues with simmering the turkey wings, but we have no issues and it makes for a tasty gravy.
Anonymous

Posted From: 167.211.65.85
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 8:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you to Di, Marie12, Roy and Ali for all of your help! I greatly appreciate your taking the time to give these suggestions!!! Thank you!!!
msgkills
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A week or two before Thanksgiving, I buy extra turkey wings, put them in the crock pot. I add chopped carrots, onions and celery and simmer on low for 8 hours (overnight). I strain out all the liquid then freeze to use on Thanksgiving day for gravy and stuffing.

For gravy, I use the dripping from the turkey, the broth I froze and thicken with arrowroot powder (arrowroot is used just like cornstarch to thicken a liquid).

Here are some of the recipes I use for Thanksgiving Dinner: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/search/label/Thanksgiving

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page