Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Campfire treat instead of S'Mores?

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Campfire treat instead of S'Mores? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 98.246.80.226
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We will be having a lot of family gatherings involving campfires and treats toasted over the fire this summer. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for alternative treats instead of S'Mores and hot dogs that would be excitotoxin-free but could still give the kids the experience of heating or toasting something over the campfire and then eating it.

Thanks in advance,

Purple_Kangaroo
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 3:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! There's a recipe in our book for graham crackers. You can also roll the dough into a log, roll in wax paper, refrigerate till firm, and slice into thin circles. Poke with a fork and bake as directed or until crisp. When cool, brush each one with a thin layer of melted dark chocolate (sweetened) If using bitter chocolate, add stevia to sweeten. A little virgin coconut added is great. Let the chocolate solidify on the cookies. Instead of using marshmallows, place sliced bananas in a grill pan with a little oil or butter (or on foil), and carmelize on the grill or coals. Place a piece the cooked banana between two cookies, chocolate side touching the hot banana and enjoy. You can make the Italian sausage recipe in our book and wrap the mixture around a clean twig to cook over the coals...or wrap in foil and cook near hot coals.
Purple_Kangaroo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, that sounds yummy--thanks! I'll bet bananas or plantain roasted on a stick would be good too.

For this week, we ended up melting Enjoy Life chocolate chips and dipping strawberries in them. The kids loved that and were very happy with their marshmallow substitute. :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to write virgin coconut oil in my last post..sorry! We love dipping fresh fruit in melted chocolate. Again, we thin it with some organic virgin coconut oil..so good with any fruit.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 3:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What great campfire ideas! Thank you so much for sharing.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a good tip if you are missing hot dogs. The spice that gives hot dogs their characteristic flavor is ground coriander. Just add it to your safe ground meat (2 t. per pound) along with salt and pepper and some honey. I like lots of pepper or a little cayenne, and some garlic powder..just a pinch. Cook as patties or sausage shapes. Some hot dog producers add some mace, too. To experiment with the amount of coriander that you like best, start with 1 1/2 teaspoon per pound, mix and fry just a tiny bit and taste. Adjust seasonings to your liking.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page