Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Yummy Potato Recipe

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Yummy Potato Recipe « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Holidays everyone!

Thought I'd share a potato recipe that's been in my family since I was a little kid. I know potatoes are somewhat high in FGA by themselves, but this is good for those of us that can tolerate a little -

2 russet potatoes
6-7 red waxy potatoes
24oz. Daisy sour cream
16 oz. Cheddar cheese (I found an organic brand, but unfortunately the label is already outside in the trash...)
1 package Kerrygold salted butter (8oz?)
2 bunches of green onions

Boil the potatoes & cool. The skins should rub off easily under running water. Dry the potatoes.

Shred the potatoes & cheese (food processor is really nice here!). Mix together.

Slice the onions into 1/4-3/8 inch pieces. Saute with the entire amount of butter. Pour over the potato-cheese mixture. Mix well.

Add the entire amount of sour cream into the mixture & mix.

Bake the potatoes - the temperature doesn't matter a whole bunch since the objective is to heat through. 350-400F for 15-25 minutes, then broil briefly to get a golden crust - maybe 10 minutes.

I don't have a name for this dish. Suggestions are welcome...

The ingredients I mentioned are what I used today. You can of course substitute with your favorite brands - in fact, the original recipe called for two packages of Kraft shredded cheddar <shudder>.

Cheers,

Jennifer
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jennifer! Here in the west they are called "funeral potatoes" as it is a common dish served at the dinner following a funeral. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page