Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can i use the leftover whey from maki...

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Can i use the leftover whey from making yogurt? « Previous Next »

bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mmm after seeing all these yummy cooking ideas, i am tempted to just toss all my other recipes! wait... no... cant do that... ive collected some good ones...
but i do think all the other cookbooks are going to go as soon as i order deb's book next month :-)

have a Big Question tho, & cant really find a lot of info to answer it...
What About Whey?

ive discovered i really like making my own yogurt- its soooo easy!!- except that i hate pouring the leftover whey down the drain. so i used some the other nite in place of broth in the beans i was cooking, and we all reacted to something in the recipe... it might have been the calcium chloride in the white beans (i dont usually buy those). or was it the fresh whey?

has anyone else experimented with using the leftover liquid from making their yogurt or cheese? if so, what have you discovered? ...im a little leery of trying it again unless i know more...
thanx!
Star
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, I am not sure about the whey (I don't really like yogourt) but your post triggered a semi-related question... Is calcium chloride the same as plain salt or is it a different substance & how so? Done some googleing with no clear answer... Thanks all 4 your support!
Star
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 4:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what I've found.....salt, table salt that is, is sodium chloride and not the same as calcium chloride.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, about the whey question....I don't use whey unless I made the yogurt or kefir myself. I have found that I don't tolerate store bought yogurt very well and have concluded that there are hidden ingredients or their manufacturing process is causing a problem somehow. I'm not sure, but I also don't do well with vinegar but do fine with my own ferments. I would suspect that the problem lies in the commercial fermentation process.

If your yogurt is homemade, I would suspect the calcium chloride in the beans (why in the world is it there?). I avoid calcium chloride, but I avoid all food additives since they are made from or using corn in most casees.
Star
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy how do you make your own ferments? I have been using an organic brand of apple cider vinegar that seems ok...
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy... does that mean you do use the whey leftover from your yogurt making?
i have started doing my own yogurt at home & everyone is pretty happy with the results... except i really hate wasting anything and there is so much leftover liquid...
so, if you have any recipe suggestions to offer i would be grateful indeed!

i do think you are right about the calcium chloride maybe being the problem, since we eat lots of beans and dont otherwise have any trouble.
or... then again, might the kidney beans (these were "white kidney beans") have lots more bean sugars than black beans or pintos? ...at any rate, it was upset tumms for us all that nite- and the whole next day. sheesh...

hoping to find some white kidney beans with nothing at all added, so i can test the theory :-)
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son visited a few days and made us some lovely meals of stir-fried organic produce, kale, sauteed swiss chard, etc. Delicious, but I had a reaction (migraine). Turned out that I reacted to the balsamic vinegar that he used. It said right on the label that it contained sulfites. Now that he has gone home, I will go back to my "safe" cooking and will do better.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a problem with balsamic vinegar. I figured it must be the sulfites. Do you know if organic balsamic vinegar has sulfites? On the regular bottle it clearly states sulfites but Ive just bought a bottle of organic and there is no mention of sulfites.
Just wondered if anyone knew before i try. Ali
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 5:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let us know how you do with the organic balsamic, ali, okaY?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will do Deb. I doesnt mention sulfites so im hoping it will be okay. Ill try it soon. ali
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 7:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb. I did just fine with organic balsamic vinegar. I only had one dish with it in so far and it was a cooked dish.
The reason i came to realise i had a problem with sulfites was that when i eliminated msg i effectively eliminated sulfites the first few weeks as i ate a very bland diet so used no vinegars. I tried a recipe for "oyster sauce " style noodles from your book and suffered heart burn and wind quite badly. I knew i hadnt injested msg and the only new food was the cider apple vinegar that wasnt organic and clearly labelled as containing sulfites. I switched to organic and had no problems. When i used non organic balsamic vinegar i reacted in exactly the same way. Lesson learned!!! Im so happy i dont react to the organic as many of my favourite dishes have balsamic vinegar in, and i was getting a bit fed up watching the rest of the family enjoy them while i watched!! Ali
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 3:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morning all. This is Mariann that has posted for the last 8 months or so, after following the site for 2 and one half years. You all have been so helpful to me and I have gotten my 3-4 migraines a week down to 1 in April and 1 in May. As some of you know my husband has kept a calender listing everything I ate each day to help figure this out. He had an illness recently and I am so very sad to report that he did not make it through. He had surgery for Lung Cancer that was very illusive in diagnosing. By the time we nailed it down he was very weak. He began to rally and unfortunately was too weak to fight off a nasty infection. He passed on May 31. I would like to continue to be a part of the site. I feel that one of my steps forward is to post about him and how wonderful he was. Ours was a love story of 51 years. We met at 15 and 16, dated 5 years, married 45 1/2 years. I just need to let those that have been so kind to me as we began this last journey together know the outcome and to begin my moving on process. Thank you all and please keep up the good advice, so many need it and I am still learning each time I come on the site. This message will make it easier for me to come on board again and share my successes with the MSG battle. Mariann
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 4:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I am really new to this site, but I just wanted to give you a cyberhug and tell you my thoughts and prayers are with you. May the Lord, Jesus Christ, comfort you as only he can during this time.
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 8:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I, also, send my condolences on the loss of your husband. You were blessed to have such a wonderful a partner in life. You have been so helpful to me and many others with your posting to this site. I sincerely hope that you will continue to stay in touch with us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days. Kaye
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh mariann, this is awful news! i am SO sorry to hear of your loss... but very very glad to know that the two of you were able to enjoy the gift of so many wonderful years together...
may HIS Comfort be continually with you, as you grieve the loss of your best friend and life partner-
you have all my deepest sympathies.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I wish there was some way I could ease your grief. I feel as though you are a trusted friend and my heart aches for you. The kids and I are sending our warmest thoughts your way. Kristy
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I am saddened to hear of your loss. What a wonderful love story! You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days. May your precious memories comfort you.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My deepest condolences, Mariann. 51 years is longer than I have been alive, and you are truly blessed.

Jennifer
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to try again - my posts have not been appearing (to me anyway). Mariann - Very sorry to hear of your loss. May God bless and comfort you.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 7:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, You will be in my thoughts and prayers. [hugs]
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, I'm so sorry for your tremendous loss. I was sick for a week and then we went on vacation for a few days, so just now learned about your sweetheart of many years. Please take good care of yourself. A huge hug to you from me.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page