Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, MSG free foo...

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, MSG free food and recipes needed! « Previous Next »

Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I just had a food sensitivity panel done and I am allergic to: eggs, milk, wheat, rye, barley, peanut, soybean, navy bean, almonds, orange, garlic, apples, gluten and all dairy. I thought shopping MSG free was hard enough, but this is even harder. Is there anyone out there with all the same intolerances out there that can give me some suggestions or advice on what to buy and eat? Is there a list out there that would make this easier? What about some recipes? Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tracey,

I assume this was a skin scratch test to test for the allergies? My daughter is allergic to dairy, soy and eggs so we have learned a lot about IGE allergies these past few years.

Did the allergist explain there are false positives to the skin testing? Usually challenges are recommended to see if the test is really positive followed by blood tests.

It seems unusual to have so many allergies pop up all at once, I'd suggest challenging each one (if you haven't seen reactions to them before) before you pull them all from your diet.

The hardest of those ingredients to avoid is the combination of no wheat and no eggs. There are cookbooks out there that can give you some great recipes. I believe one is called "Sophie Safe." All of the recipes would be free of all eggs, milk, wheat, gluten, and nuts. Vegan recipes are also a great resource for diary/egg free recipes. The brand "Enjoy Life" is also free of eggs, milk, wheat, and nuts (all top 8 allergens). I eat the Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips as they are MSG free too.

What allergic reactions have you seen so far? Did your allergist give you measurements of your reactions?

Please let me know of any specific recipes you are looking for. I hope this helps, Emily
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 7:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to the Sophie Safe Cookbook. All recipes are free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish (the top 8 allergens).

http://www.amazon.com/Sophie-Safe-Cooking-Collection-Friendly-Shellfish/dp/1430304480

Here are two desserts that would be safe for you from her book:

Fudge Brownies

1 cups oat flour
1 cup sugar
cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
cup vegetable oil
cup rice milk

Whisk dry ingredients together. Add vegetable oil and rice milk and mix with a spoon until thoroughly blended. The batter will be almost too thick to pour. Pour and spread it into a greased and sugared 9 x 9 pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Cool completely and enjoy!

Blondies

1 cup brown sugar
cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup rice milk
1 cups oat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until the batter is smooth. Pour and spread the batter into a greased 9 x 9 pan. Bake for 25 minutes at 350.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 7:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sorry i just noticed you are avoiding gluten so scratch those recipes. They have oats in them but I imagine you can find a substitute for the oat flour.
Shannon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tracy,

My advice is don't try to find prepackaged items. Think in components...for example: A dinner might consist of a grilled chicken breast, a piece of fish, or some other meat and a couple of side items such as broccoli, potato, beans (other than navy), rice, etc. As far as seasonings go stick whole spices and herbs. Homemade soups and dinners can be made in large batches and frozen for lunches. We often make soups and freeze them in mason jars. Just take one out of the freezer and put in in the fridge the night before and when you get to work set it on your desk...it will be defrosed ready to eat for lunch. Items can also be placed in plastic containers allowed to freeze and then popped out like an ice cube then vacuum seal the frozen block for longer storage. The best thing about those vacuum seal bags is they can be placed into boiling water to reheat for quick dinners.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 2:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, I agree with Shannon above. Don't jump right in trying to find alternatives to bread or baked goods. Try to think of those things as extraneous parts of a diet. They are not necessary for good health (in fact, they are devoid of nutrients) and they actually take the place of nutrient dense foods that you will need to eat to get better. Eat an easily digested diet for now. You can always try adding in those other things once you start feeling better. Think soups, stews, roasts, cooked veggies. Give your body a chance to recover before adding in all those hard-to-digest things that are in the same family as the things you are sensitive to...Since you are sensitive to wheat, avoid all grains for a little while, since you are allergic to some nuts, try avoiding all nuts for a little while, etc.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, I found the blog address for recipes that I was looking for: http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/

Lots of good recipes here.
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 3:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all so much!! You are all so helpful. Is it safe to use olive oil at all? What about salads? I'm not sure what to use for a dressing though.
I first had skin scratches done for the food allergies and they all were negative. Two months later, after 6 Doctors and numerous blood tests, CAT scans, endoscopies..everything was negative. I finally went to a Naturopath, where I had a Food Sensitivity Panel done (blood test). It came back positive to 17 foods and she also thinks there could be more not on the test, such as MSG. I seem to react to everything. Facial swelling, body swelling, serious weight gain (up to 10 lbs in one day sometimes!), weak, tired, headaches, bloating, muscle aches, memory loss, "out there" feeling, etc. The worst symptom is the daily edema everywhere. So, so far this food test is the only thing that they found so far that I am positive for. I've been sick for over 3 months now. Thanks for all your help!!
Shannon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, olive oil is ok to use but it is best to get first cold press olive oil (organic if possible). Various chemicals can be used to extract the oil out of the olives so you want it to be first cold pressed because that is the first oil they get out of the olives after just pressing them...no chemicals used.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey,

Olive oil should be safe, I use extra virgin. I googled "swollen face" and wow, there were so many possible causes. It can be so difficult determining a cause of a condition and hard to be patient during the search. But I'm sure persistence will pay off and, hopefully, after being on a new diet for a while you will begin to see results. I remember after a vet told me to put my cat on a special "anti-allergy" diet that it could take up to 10 weeks to see any improvement. Not that you are a cat, but some foods take a long time for our bodies to completely get rid of.

I imagine you have thought of all the other products that we use daily too, like hair products, skin products, detergent, etc.

I remember one woman who used to post here tried the no-msg diet for a few months with not much improvement. I kept in touch with her by email after she left this board, and it turned out her problem was mold. She had a waterbed and it had somehow created a layer of mold somewhere on the bed, which spread its spores to the rest of the house. It was a mess cleaning up, but at least she finally had an answer.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 5:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shannon have you ever had a Mason jar shatter when frozen. I don't know if they are the same, but my book from the Ball Co. that makes preserving jars as well says to use the jars made especially for freezing. They have straight sides rather than the curved shoulder style of the preserving jars. The shape of the jar allows for the cold temp. In fact the ones I bought by the case say right on the box "for freezing". So be sure to check that out for safety sake. Good luck. You got so much good info here today Tracey I haven't got any more suggestions for the time being. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, I would be careful of salads. Raw veggies can be very hard to digest if you have any digestive issues. If you juice them it would be eaiser to digest them. In fact, that is a good way to build digestive enzymes, but start slow as with everything. Drink just a tiny amount first day and see how it goes.

I had no help from doctors, either. I was also living too far away from any naturopath. I found my way gradually by listening to my body and paying close attention to my reactions and eating the purest, easiest to digest foods possible. It took me three or four days to start feeling a difference, but months of trial and error to get a handle on my health. Now we are not only avoiding reactions but actually healing. We have successfully added eggs and dairy into our diets. Keep your chin up and don't give up. It gets easier. Kristy
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the suggestions and help from everyone. Kristy, I was wondering if you also have leaky gut syndrome? What causes a person to get it? Which foods are you sensitive to and what are your problems, if you don't mind me asking? How long were you on the GAPS diet for? I ordered the book you recommended. Does it talk about leaky gut at all? I'm going to stick to meat, veggies, fruits and see what happens. Do you have any good recipes for soups or stews? Thank you again.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 3:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My favorite soup is the one made from left over vegetable cooking water and meat/poultry drippings that I have saved and accumulated in the freezer, add celery, carrots, onions and whatever other vegetable I have i.e. spinach. When they are cooked, I add rice and sometimes chicken.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tracey,

It sounds like you are on the right track then with the results from the blood work. Was the test a RAST test by chance? If so, it should give you levels from the blood work and over time you retake the test and see if your numbers and rising or falling (falling means the allergy is going away). It's so helpful to have repeated test done over the years to see progress.

I'm sorry to hear you are having so many symptoms.

I just put this book on hold at our library. I haven't read it yet but it sounds like the recipes are more "from scratch" than the Sophie Safe cookbook. Which means it will be more MSG friendly. The recipes will exclude most of your allergies (not the fruits and garlic though but those are easy to omit). Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Foods-Allergy-Cookbook-Homestyle/dp/1890612456/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265663789&sr=8-1

Here is the chicken noodle soup we like. You can omit the noodles and do potato cubes. Also omit the flour that is used to thicken. You could use arrowroot powder instead.

http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/04/chicken-noodle-soup.html
Shannon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 6:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann,
No, I have not had a mason jar shatter when freezing. I think it is because I don't pressurize the jars and I leave about an inch of headroom. Thanks for the tip on the special jars for freezing, if I ever start using the mason jars for their actual purpose I will make sure to get the right type.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, Yes, I do believe I have leaky gut syndrome. When I got to a health crisis, I was so sick I was nearly dead. Just doing Deb's test diet saved my life because it put me on the right track. I couldn't find a decent doctor or naturopath, so I was on my own. It took me many, many days of research to realize that I had leaky gut and my healing journey started there. While most people here do really well by just removing the fga additives from their diets, I was really sick and reacted to many more things, including fruits and veggies. As my diet cleaned up, I was able to notice when I reacted to a food and remove it. After a couple of months of this, I was really worried about getting enough nutrients into me and my children on such a limited diet. I had a doctor at the time that had been trying to use supplements to "cure" my deficiencies, but everything he prescribed I couldn't take. I learned about corn and soy and even had them compounded, I still couldn't tolerate them.

Anyway, I started researching nutrition so that I could try to get the most nutrient dense foods on our allowed list to treat our deficiencies naturally. That lead me to traditional foods and healing diets. That lead me to do research on healthy fats and bone broth (bone broth can actually remineralize bone and reverse tooth decay), and organ meats (they naturally contain a lot of the substances that doctors prescribe synthetic versions of for deficiencies). I realized that even though I am overweight, I was starving to death. With the combination of malabsorption and chronic diarrhea, my body was starved for nutrients. I could actually see all this start reversing just from eating the right foods.

I always tell everyone that is doubtful about our diet and my conclusions that seeing is believing. We aren't doing this diet for some elusive and abstract thought of being healthier, we eat this way because it is precisely the way our body feels best. There is no easier diet to follow than one that makes you feel tremendously better. Our good diet is positively reinforced by well being and backsliding is punished by feeling miserable for days...No candy bar or restaurant meal is tasty enough to tempt those consequences. There is no guesswork or questionable theories or money-grubbing diet gurus involved. Just listening to your body and applying logic is all it takes to feel better. I think most people are afraid to try avoiding food additives because they are heavily invested in a fast food lifestyle and if they felt tremendously better without the additives, it would take a huge lifestyle change to maintain it. I think we get worse gradually so that most people think they feel "OK" even if they have reflux or feel tired all the time or they have acne or they have stomach upset or have joint pain or they have asthma, etc, etc, you get the point.

The GAPS book will help you cure leaky gut and teach you a safe way to try to reintroduce those foods you are sensitive to after some healing takes place. Of course, I would never want to ingest toxins again - even if they are cleverly disguised to look like a cookie, but eventually, we should be able to eat all wholesome foods without a problem.

By the way, I would be super cautious about fruit right now since very little of it will be untreated with GMOs at this time of year. In the spring, make sure you locate a farmer's market or pick your own fruit farm. The produce in the grocery store is getting more and more like the rest of the "food" in the store, grown on industrial farms with questionable methods and contaminated with GMOs. If you can find a year-round CSA, it would be even better:
eatwild.com
localharvest.com

Kristy
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shannon the directions for the freezer jar was for uncooked jam, so it wasn't processed. I leave an inch of space at the top as well and it works well. I can see if they were processed, it would definitely be a problem. Mariann
Shannon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann,
I found the mason jars that were meant for freezing...thanks for the tip.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page