Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pizza recipe request

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Pizza recipe request « Previous Next »

Shawn C
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really miss pizza. Could someone provide a recipe.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pizza is a little complicated as each layer varies depending on the personís sensitivity to free glutamate.

CRUST
First a crust needs to be made by hand with an all purpose flour that is free from malted barley and using dry active yeast. For the simplest option, a favorite bread dough recipe can be used. For a more authentic pizza dough crust, there are many options depending on your skill level at making breads and the amount of time and effort you want to put forth.

Here is an easy pizza dough recipe that would be great for a beginner: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/09/pizza-dough.html
Here is a more time consuming pizza dough recipe with a great depth of flavor: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2009/03/little-caesars-pizza-dough.html

The easiest method to cooking a pizza would be to bake on a pizza pan or cookie sheet, however using a baking stone will yield the best results with the crispest crust.

SAUCE
As we all vary in our sensitivity to tomatoes, itís a personal choice on the sauce. For those with a mild sensitivity, you can use a safe tomato sauce seasoned with Italian Seasonings ( here is an example: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2009/03/little-caesars-pizza-sauce.html ). Or one can finely dice a fresh tomato, sprinkle with olive oil and use this in place of a sauce. Or you can skip tomatoes all together and do a buttery garlic sauce (my favorite as I react to canned tomatoes if I eat too many of them). Here is my favorite blend of a garlic buttery sauce: http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/11/chicken-garlic-pizza.html .

TOPPINGS
We also all vary in the types of cheeses we can eat, if we can eat them at all. Most people use fresh mozzarella cheese, I do fine with regular mozzarella or muenster cheese. You can also skip the cheese all together (we have done this often) and just pile on the toppings on top of the sauce.

I hope this helps. We eat pizza a couple times a month and really enjoy it. It takes a little practice to get comfortable with the dough (but with this diet its almost necessary to become comfortable making bread doughís) but I think once youíve mastered the skill youíll find homemade pizza tastes far superior than the restaurant kind.

Let us know if you have any questions, thanks!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When in the mood for pizza, but don't have time to make the crust, I buy plain French bread..wheat flour, water, salt, yeast, oil...and slice it diagonally to make 2 or 3 layers. Brush with some olive oil and broil for just a couple minutes to crisp it up..light golden edges. Then top as desired. I do okay with Trader Joe marinara sauce in the green can, but often just add mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, olives, and onions. Then bake at 350 to 375 till hot and sizzling.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to cut it horizontally, to make long oval bread pizzas...sorry.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page