Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Restaurant Style Salsa

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Restaurant Style Salsa « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been experimenting with this recipe for about a year now and finally got the perfect combination. I've also found a great way to make it without cooking the tomatoes at all- yeah!! The tomato puree freezes fantastic so its nice to make it in bulk and just add a few ingredients for a quick salsa.

10 Roma tomatoes (frozen tomatoes can be used), diced

1 Jalapeno, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 Roma Tomato, chopped
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin

Version 1 (stove top cooked method)
Place tomatoes in a medium saute pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain off excess liquid and discard. Continue cooking diced tomatoes for an additional 10 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Press cooked tomatoes through a sieve or metal strainer until only the skins and seeds remain the the sieve. Discard skins and seeds. The tomato mixture will be quite thin.

Combine tomato mixture with the chopped tomatoes, jalapeno and onions. Season to taste with salt, chili powder and cumin. To blend the flavors, refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.

Version 2 (no cook/large quantity method)
Slice Roma tomatoes in half and gently squeeze over the sink to remove jelly and juice. Process tomatoes through a Victorio Food Strainer using the applesauce/tomato juice attachment.

Combine tomato mixture with the chopped tomatoes, jalapeno and onions. Season to taste with salt, chili powder and cumin. To blend the flavors, refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.

Here is a link for pictures of the salsa and the strainer I use:
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/12/restaurant-salsa.html
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ever add minced garlic or cilantro to your salsas, Emily?
Your recipe sounds so good. Will have to try it. Thanks!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 7:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I make a traditional salsa I always add minced garlic and cilantro but this recipe I was trying to duplicate an authentic Mexican Restaurant we used to go to when I was little. They don't use garlic and cilantro in their dish so I skipped it in mine. I really like it without but I'm sure others would like the flavor. You'll have to let me know if you like it. Thanks, Emily
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a ton of tomatoes in my garden and will make some as soon as I buy some jalapeno peppers...love salsa. Trader Joe's has a smoky hot chipotle salsa that I haven't reacted to yet. I like adding a couple tablespoons to homemade salsa. It's delish.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been making bruschetta lately with fresh garden tomatoes. You just dice them up, add minced garlic, a little finely diced onion, chopped fresh basil, and a little olive oil. Put it on toasted, lightly buttered (or olive oiled) bread of your choice (we use French). Today we added a little shredded cheese on the top. It is really tasty.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of possible ingredients in the Olive Garden salad dressing that might cause problems? Not the bottled dressing you can buy but what you would eat at their restaurant --assuming they make it on site.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jjmartin,

In a word, lots. You're safer having them bring oil and vinegar to the table and adding them yourself. And don't forget to have them hold the croutons and anything else risky.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My understanding is the Olive Garden dressing served on site is the same as the bottled stuff they also sell (at least the locations near me). I can't remember what is in it, but they let you look at the label and it seems like it's yeast extract that's at the top of the list. For awhile I used to be able to eat their salad when served with no dressing and no croutons.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my version of their dressing to take along although I have found sometimes even just salad at a restaurant can cause me problems.

1/2c homemade mayo
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
salt
garlic powder or fresh
basil, oregano, parsley
If you can tolerate cheese, add about 1/4c parmesan and or romano.
If you don't mind raw egg, it adds wonderful and texture & flavor.
Mix the oil and vinegar first, add seasonings and then wisk in mayo.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you should not use regular eggs from the grocery store, but only the free range when using raw egg. And I also forgot to mention that you would use only the egg yolk.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page