Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Easy Chicken

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Easy Chicken « Previous Next »

Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been making a simple chicken dish lately. It's easy but takes ~3 hours -

I get a package of 6 or so thighs, though breast meat with skin would work too.

I season with salt, pepper, and a little fresh garlic run through the squeezer. I tried a baking dish, and the cast-iron skillet. Both were acceptable.

Insert a probe thermometer set to 170F in the meatiest thigh, put the chicken into an oven, uncovered, at 250F (higher if you're impatient) and when it reaches 170, set it to broil for a few minuets & the garlic crisps up nice, and the chicken gets to the "recommended" temperature of 180. Remember carry-over heat; take it out at 175F or so.

Put the chicken on a plate to rest. See all the "stuff" in the pan? Leave it there. Add your favorite pasta. I used Trader Joe's rice penne pasta, but wheat would be fine too. To that add ~1.5-2 cups of water, and simmer on low to med-low heat until the pasta is done, about 7-10 minutes. If using a baking dish, you'll have to put all the drippings into a stove-top safe dish.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the pasta. There should be a minimal amount of liquid; add the juices from the rested chicken, milk and butter to make a sauce. Rice flour can be used to thicken it. Salt & pepper to taste.

This is wonderful on the pasta and it's very flavorful. It goes great with the chicken. It might be a little "rich" for people still detoxing, so be cautious if that's the case, or wait 6 months before trying again.

Jennifer
Deb A.msgkills
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much uncooked pasta do you add, Jennifer? Sounds very good.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About half a bag - I don't remember if it was a two pound bag. I think it's about 2C water per pound of pasta if you're going to use the leftover pasta water as a sauce.

I don't drain off the fat either. :-)

Jennifer
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good Jennifer. I love deglazing my pans after cooking chicken for a rich sauce- what a good idea to cook pasta in the pan, I'll give it a try next time. Thanks!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jennifer. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page