Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Margarine Replacement

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Margarine Replacement « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to share this recipe with the group. I use butter for toast, waffles, pancakes, etc. but wanted to find something a little healthier. I've experimented a bit and really like this blend. This is really simple so maybe everyone else is already doing this but it has been an exciting discovery at our home- I just love olive oil!

Buttery Olive Oil Spread

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup pure olive oil

Beat butter in a food processor until softened, then gradually add the olive oil. When it is all completely blended, it will be quite pourable. Pour into a container with a lid, then store in the fridge. Use as a low saturated fat butter spread in place of margarine.

Margarine is typically filled with flavor enhancers and coloring so we always cook with 100% butter or olive oil. I have always wanted a low saturated fat option for spreading on toast or waffles and thanks to the Australian Olive Association I finally found a great solution. This is easy to make, stores great in the fridge, spreads easily and still has the taste of butter. I love it.

I use pure olive oil for this recipe as extra virgin olive oil may overpower the buttery taste.

Here is a picture of the spread:
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2009/06/buttery-olive-oil-spread.html
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EmilyS,

Excellent! And I love your website.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yours is similar to my blend, Emily. I use my mixer and beat 1 cup of butter with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar until smooth. Then I slowly beat in up to 2/3 cup of mild olive oil. Next, I slowly add up to 1/2 cup of ICE water. It hardens it a bit. Then I store in fridge in a glass container. It' a good consistency.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought some farmer's cheese at a European market in town. I buy their kefir all the time. The clerk said to try in on a cracker with jam. I just had some on Ryecrisp with strawberry jam from Bulgaria. Very good and so far am okay. The cheese is like a thick cottage cheese without the additives..just whole milk, salt and culture. It would be great to use as ricotta. It's not as sweet, so adding a little salt, sugar, egg, and shredded mozzarella would make a great lasagna filling.
infoman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have Deb's email address?
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips Deb! I would have never thought to add water to the mix. I'll give your blend a try next time- thank you!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

avenger@msgmyth.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page