Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pancake Recipe

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Pancake Recipe « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 69.140.207.109
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have a good Pancake recipe? I myself can't cook...at all, but my grandmom is good at cooking and wanted to make me pancakes. All the recipes she's seen calls for vanilla extract, which I know is bad. I also wanted her to put Cacao Nibs in the pancakes, since I miss the days when I used to have chocolate chip pancakes.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a long time since I've made pancakes - but I'd imagine if you're using a safe flour, any of the standard recipes should apply.

I do have some vanilla extract in my pantry - I rarely bake, but have used in on occasion, at half the amount called for. It's made by Morton & Basset Spices of San Francisco - says "all natural" and "sugar free". Ingredients: Vanilla bean extract in 35% alcohol.

Try orange zest for a flavoring. And marmalade (if there's a safe one, or homemade) instead of syrup. I know syrup is pretty bad for me unless it's 100% maple - my only sweet weakness. Yum.

Jennifer
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 1:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good Basic Pancake or Waffle Recipe
1 beaten egg
1 cup flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
tsp soda
1 Tbs oil
3/4 cup milk
Spoon onto hot griddle
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I actually use vanilla powder instead of extract since I couldn't tolerate even a tiny bit of alcohol. I bought it at Amazon and it is terrific - just look for pure vanilla powder - vanilla beans are the only ingredient.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 5:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you give me the brand name of the powdered vanilla? I looked at Amazon and at some other sites too and found only ones with maltodextrin as a carrier and another with dextrose and other additives.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey jj, Here is the link to the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J4BELQ

This is from Madagascar, but there are others. Pure ground vanilla is very aromatic and has a very good flavor. This and the raw cacao powder are my 2 fave new finds.
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Agave Nectar for syrup. Don't need much. Or puree fresh fruit with a bit of stevia. I purchased a Tribest personal blender and it is great since I am the only one who dosen't eat MSG or sulfites, etc. I am "rawsome" (mostly raw) so it helps me having a small appliance to create small portions. I have a mini food processor that was pretty inexpensive at my local drug store that purees too.

Healthy eating ! !
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I boil equal parts organic sugar and water...a bit more sugar than water...add some salt and real maple syrup to taste. Using agave with real maple syrup would be good, too.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't mean to go into a recipe battle, but I have found THE best pancake recipe.
Dry mix;
6c flour (I use Hodgeson Mills)
11/2 tsp baking soda
3tsp baking pdr
1 tbsp salt
2tbsp sugar

"Instant" Pancakes
1 egg
1/2 c plain yogurt(milk could be used but yogurt is way better)
2c mix
Mix all together leaving lumpy
Fry in oil.
You can sprinkle the wet side of the pancake with wheat germ or oat bran for a healthier version, then flip.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the recipe Viv! As soon as we can start baking with eggs again, I'll try your recipe (my daughter can't eat eggs right now). Thanks, Emily
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good...it seems like a thick batter..does it have to be spread out at all?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey EmilyS, you can try a regular recipe minus eggs. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the final results, especially when you make waffles. My kids didn't even notice a difference - our favorite waffles recipe uses the blender to mix batter. We add a little cinnamon and rolled oats to the batter before blending. You would be amazed how well the blender grinds the oats (in batter, not dry) and how much it improves the flavor. You might have to add a little more milk or yogurt to get the batter the right consistency but it is so worth it.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes the pancake batter does have to be spread out a little.

With regard to the vanilla, you can buy a vanilla bean, slice it lengthwise and put it in a container of sugar. After about 2 weeks you have vanilla infused sugar. I haven't tried it with honey, but I will and let you know. You can also slice a vanilla bean and put it in a jug of vodka or rum and leave it for aprox 6 weeks and you'll have your own vanilla extract.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page