Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Quick Bread

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Whole Wheat Oatmeal Quick Bread « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, just wanted to share this quick bread recipe for all of you that are sensitive to yeast (too bad I didn't realize yeast was a problem for us before I bought a breadmaker....).

Here goes:
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread (WWOB)

ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups Whole Wheat flour
4 tsp Deb's baking powder
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp raw organic honey or organic sugar
2 tbsp oil (I like sunflower but any mild flavor safe oil will work)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 1/2 cups rice milk (possibly more)

Heat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until the consistency of pancake batter - add more rice milk if necessary to get right consistency. Bake in a square pan (9 x 9? the size really doesn't matter but you want it the depth of cornbread) for about 55 minutes. Check with knife in center to see if it comes out clean.

This is a very forgiving recipe and can be savory or sweet - just add in anything. Maybe applesauce and cinnamon with more sugar/honey, or maybe chopped onions, peppers, less sugar, olive oil, and oregano, or maybe zucchini or banana or even cheese and ground hamburger if you tolerate that. The most important thing about making this bread is to remember to add enough extra liquid to get the consistency of the batter right no matter what else you add to it. Also the bake time is a rough idea - check it to make sure it is done. This isn't a yeast bread so you don't have to worry about getting the ingredients in exactly the right proportions - you could even try grinding the oatmeal if you don't like the big rolled oats. I am going to try other flours to replace the whole wheat soon.

Just please keep in mind that this is a quick bread (meaning leavened with something other than yeast) and will do best cut into squares to serve - not thin slices. Since I am from the South I am familiar with the idea of eating quickbread cut into squares and then split open like a biscuit (think cornbread) but I found many of the reviews of quickbreads on allrecipes.com indicate that there is some confusion about this fact so I wanted to prepare you.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recipe looks yummy, thanks Kristy! What kind of rice milk do you drink or do you make your own?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Emily, I use the classic blue box Rice Dream if I don't have any of my own made. I prefer homemade but we usually use it all up making ice cream (delicious - the secret is a couple of TBSP coconut cream concentrate and raw cacao powder). I have a Soyquick Maker. I have only used it for rice milk but would like to try nut milks or even oat milk. I love it - it is one of those small appliances that really works as advertised and makes life a little easier. We don't really drink rice milk, though. My kids and I were never really milk drinkers and my husband doesn't think rice milk is an acceptable alternative to drinking dairy. I did try making chocolate milk but only my daughter liked it and she prefers it as ice cream (very little difference in recipe) so we freeze and eat it instead of drinking it.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, Would you post your ice cream recipe and where do you get the raw cacao powder? Thanks!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had never thought to buy a Soyquick maker, thanks for the recommendation. How long have you had yours?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, we all want your rice milk ice cream recipe.
Kristy, I do okay with bread made with plain dry yeast. I avoid the quick or instant yeasts. But I do go easy on breads, since wheat has a lot of natural glutamate, too. Moderation is the key. But for those who are extremely sensitive to glutamate, cutting out foods high in natural glutamate may be necessary. Thanks so much for the bread recipe. With that one and Emily's skillet bread, my husband will be very happy.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all,

I got the Soyquick and the raw cacao powder both from Amazon. I am very happy with both. I just reordered the same brand cacao powder but there are other brands as well. Also, we enjoy the cacao nibs from the same company. My daughter and I love them but my husband and son hate them so I guess they are not for everyone. They work best when added to something sweet since they are slightly bitter (we use them as topping on ice cream (sparingly) but also want to try them in granola.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUA0V4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELL9GI
A couple of notes here about these products.

For the cacao powder: When substituting in recipes, start with half as much as normal recipe requires and add more if needed. It has a much richer cocoa taste so you use less. And, store it in fridge or freezer. This stuff is fabulous.

For the soyquick: Buy a pair of rubber gloves and wash it as suggested immediately after using. If you do that one thing, you will love this product. If you are afraid that you won't be disciplined about clean-up, you might want to skip this product. Also, when you make milk, a stick blender works very well to add flavorings. In fact my rice cream recipe requires a soyquick maker and a stick blender, but no cooking.

One other thing, the coconut creme concentrate called for in the recipe was purchased on Amazon as well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VWLQE6
The vanilla powder was also from Amazon since I couldn't find vanilla flavor or extract that I could tolerate: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J4BELQ

The Chocolate Rice Cream recipe.

Make rice milk using long grain brown rice and multigrain setting on Soyquick. Use minimum water level. I've never measured this to find out how much it makes, but I also don't strain it. I think if you make rice milk to drink, you should use the included strainer so that it doesn't have little bits of rice. Making ice cream, you really want those bits of rice blended in to make the ice cream thicker.

After you wash the Soyquick, you will have hot fresh rice milk in a pitcher. While it is still hot, add the following:
1/2 to 2/3 cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp. vanilla powder
2 cups raw organic sugar
2 or 3 TBSP coconut cream concentrate
dash salt

Use a stick blender to blend it until smooth. Put in the fridge to cool. After it is cool, put it in an ice cream machine to freeze. We have an ancient electric ice cream machine that requires salt and ice but we prefer it to the newer type with prechilled buckets and no ice.

You can add more or less sugar to taste, but keep in mind that it will taste less sweet once frozen. This recipe evolved over the course of a month or two of practice and it can be made with Rice Dream milk I suppose, but I didn't have favorable results using it. BTW, the key to the creamy texture of this ice cream is the coconut cream concentrate, without it this turns out more like ice milk - thin and watery and freezes rock hard. Personally, I would add even more CCC, but I have to make this for others that are not so keen on coconut. Adding more would make the coconut flavor overpowering (which I would not mind). I guess you could add something else with a comparable fat content besides the coconut, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't also contribute a strong flavor that would clash with ice cream.

That's it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page