Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Fast and Easy Skillet Bread

Battling the MSG Myth » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Fast and Easy Skillet Bread « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of us that need to make our own bread but don't have a lot of time, here is a bread recipe that takes just 5 minutes to make:

2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat and half all purpose)
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2-4 TBSP butter

Preheat oven to 400 F with skillet in oven. Mix together dry ingredients, then add milk until it looks like thick pancake mix (about 1 1/2 cups). Add butter to hot skillet and return to oven until butter bubbles. Pour dough into skillet and bake 15-20 minutes or until top is brown. Serve with soup by breaking off individual pieces.

Variations: Add cheese, taco seasoning, cornmeal or onions to dough.

This is the BEST bread to serve with soup. It's so fast and tastes heavenly. The best part of this bread is the bubbly butter in the skillet that creates a crunchy crust on the bottom of the bread.

This bread is best eaten the day it is made, so if you don't think you'll eat a full batch, feel free to cut the batch in half (images are of a half batch).

Here is a link for a picture of the bread:
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/12/easy-skillet-bread-for-soup.html
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good. I love this board!

Have you tried buttermilk and/or yogurt? Could make a "sourdough" that way. The possibilities are endless.

For skillet, do you mean something like a cast-iron pan or perhaps Dutch oven?

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing that, Emily. I'm wondering if it would work made with part water, part milk or all water. If anyone has read anything about the latest findings about Teflon and your health, I would advise using cast iron or the new (but expensive) ceramic coated cookware. I bought a ceramcoat frypan at BB&B and I love it. Then I bought a cast iron 3 1/2 qt. dutch oven on sale after Christmas. Use it all the time. Years ago, I found a cast iron frypan at a thrift store. The beauty of used cast iron is that it is already well seasoned and nothing sticks.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd guess substituting water for the milk would hurt the protein content - maybe add egg or egg white? There's also sugars in milk, so maybe add 1/2 teaspoon of honey?

I have pet birds, so my house is Teflon-free. It's well known that Teflon fumes kill birds very, very quickly. You'd think that would hurt it's popularity, wouldn't you?

Jennifer
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer, for a skillet, use a cast iron frying pan.

I haven't tried making it will all water, but I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I've converted other dough recipes from milk to just water and haven't noticed a difference. I'll let you know how an all water batch tastes.

I've been happy with my cast iron pans and have also looked into the ceramic coated cookware, I can't wait to try some!
kimm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up two cast iron frying pans at a yard sale. Can anyone tell me what might be the best way to clean them up? (They look like they've been sitting in someone's garage for the past 10 years). I can't wait to use them, but I'm not sure how to get them back in shape.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they rusty? I don't know what to tell you without some idea of what they look like.

If they're covered in rust, I'd be tempted to sand blast them and start the seasoning process from scratch. If they're black and greasy...maybe fire up the BBQ if you have one, or put it in your oven and do a cleaning cycle. That might be a bit too hot, but you want at least 500F, to carbonize all the junk that's on it.

For standard care, put in some salt and oil, and scrub with a towel. Old T-shirts work the best for me. With a fine film of oil in the pan, turn on the heat until the pan just starts to smoke, then turn off the heat & you're done. Don't use soap on your pan. You can add water to the pan when you're done using it, and leave it on the heat and the crud should just come right off. Dump the water, let it dry out (on heat), and use the salt and oil.

Jennifer
kimm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jennifer. Actually, one of the pans is rusty, and the other is just filthy.

I was thinking a brillo pad on the rust. Will that ruin it? Because of where I got them, and not having any idea where they've been or what they've been used for, I was actually wanting to "sanitize" them some way before I used them. Is that possible, or maybe I'm just better off buying some new ones?
Thanks again!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kimm,

I can't use cast iron pans myself because of high iron levels, but if I could this is how I'd take care of them:

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html
kimm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy!!! I appreciate it. :-)
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried this recipe with Rice Milk and it did not turn out well. It never cooked all the way and I baked it much longer than stated. I am going to try it again tonight with whole milk and see how it comes out. The buttery crust was wonderful though.
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sooo good with milk! I love it!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Miss Kitty, good to know the recipe doesn't work with rice milk. Glad you enjoyed it with whole milk. Welcome to the group!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noticed a case of butternut cashew soup for sale at Costco. Had some leftover oven roasted butternut squash at home and a carton of No-chicken chicken stock...funny name, but I do great with it..by Imagine, I think. I put 1/3 c. cashews in the blender with 3 cups of the squash and some of the stock. After pureeing it, I poured it all in a pot with the rest of the carton of stock and heated it. It was so good and so quick. We love all kinds of roasted veggies so I'm sure any would work. Add any spices you like or try a different nut for protein. Oatmeal liquifies easily in my blender and some could be added to the soup, also. I served it with some grated Jack cheese and homemade croutons ( just roast cubes of bread in a 375 oven until golden or under broiler). To roast veggies, just cut into desired slices(peel the squash)and toss with some olive oil to coat lightly. Salt, pepper and season to taste. Roast at 425 degrees until tender and carmelized on edges.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noticed a case of butternut cashew soup for sale at Costco. Had some leftover oven roasted butternut squash at home and a carton of No-chicken chicken stock...funny name, but I do great with it..by Imagine, I think. I put 1/3 c. cashews in the blender with 3 cups of the squash and some of the stock. After pureeing it, I poured it all in a pot with the rest of the carton of stock and heated it. It was so good and so quick. We love all kinds of roasted veggies so I'm sure any would work. Add any spices you like or try a different nut for protein. Oatmeal liquifies easily in most blender and some could be added to the soup, also. I served it with some grated Jack cheese and homemade croutons ( just roast cubes of bread in a 375 oven until golden or under broiler). To roast veggies, just cut into desired slices(peel the squash)and toss with some olive oil to coat lightly. Salt, pepper and season to taste. Roast at 425 degrees until tender and carmelized on edges.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great idea Deb, thanks for the meal idea.

Is this the (no chicken) Chicken broth you do well with? http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/product/1572.php

It actually looks safe! I've bottled my own chicken broth so we have something that's shelf stable but it sure would be nice to find a storemade stock that I could handle.
Miss Kitty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds great! I was informed previously that No-Chicken Broth by Imagine was the only broth without msg. I have been looking for a good Butternut squash recipe and you have delivered it. Thank you!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are very welcome. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page